Stage3 special needs register

My child has just had his visit by the educational psychologist and they have agreed to write a report for the education panels. Just wondering has anyone else been through this and what has their experience been? How long does this next stage take etc thanks x

Comments

• mofopants
    mofopants Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my daughter saw the educational psycologist today at the mencap centre which she attends.

how old is your child?
  • Sugarmummy
    Sugarmummy Posts: 79 Forumite
    My child is 4, it has taken us five months to get this far. Would like everything (if allowed) in place before Primary school starts in September. I'm hoping that's not wishful thinking .....
  • Mrs_Mac_1
    Mrs_Mac_1 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My situation was as follows:

I knew from around p2 or p3 that my child was learning differently to other children, performing well below average at school etc. During primary school I had three different educ psych reports provided, there was no diagnosis and my child was identified as being "between" abilities, i.e. bad enough to benefit from additional support but not bad enough to warrant it. I fought the whole way through primary school to get help but what was provided was not official classroom asst time but shared with other pupils with a variety of needs. Same carry-on in secondary school, my child has been streamed in the lowest ability stream, it took all of the first year to get the educ psych report, believe me that is just the beginning, I have been in constant contact with the EA and talk about a place that drags their heels and moves goal posts. It has taken most of the second year to get anything in place, since just after Easter my child has been given 10 hrs per week of official classroom assistant help, which I had to insist was prioritized to English and Maths which means that my child misses one period a week of other curricular classes which the school deem "less important" i.e. music, Irish, LLW, so that the classroom assistant can do one-to-one support for my child.

The whole system is a nightmare, I would advise you to keep on the Educ Psychologist's back and the EA the whole time as they will have so many other parents and children demanding their attention to. Good luck, I hope things work out for your child and you, maybe things will be more straightforward for you if you get a diagnosis of a specific learning condition etc. I wish you well xx
  • Sugarmummy
    Thank you, I kinda already know his diagnosis but they won't diagnose him till he's 6/7. I have been hounding the Education Authority since January to get this far. Just wish things would quicken up. I'm thankful for his preschool who have been championing his case. They realised quite quickly he will need assistance in primary school. How did you manage to get so many educational psychology assessments....the reason I ask was because I was refused for my older child who has ADD because his condition wasn't deemed warrant enough for an assessment and like your child is in the lower stream of high school....it is really difficult to get help for your child
  • kyral
    kyral Posts: 167 Forumite
    I work in a primary school and apparently we can only refer two children per school year to ed psych. I'm sure you can imagine the problems this has caused. Most children are waiting until at least P3 before they are seen and this is not an instant answer for the child. We have one child who only now has been given 12.5 hrs/week in P3 and the school year is almost over. It has taken almost 2 years for this to happen and what makes it worse is that despite the job being advertised there have been no applicants.This is most probably due to the small amount of hours.
    My advice is to keep fighting for help using all the channels you can because if something is not put in place before your child begins primary school chances are you will have a very long road ahead.:mad:
  • Sugarmummy
    That's why I'm pushing so much at the moment, he's been seen by the educational psychologist so just waiting for the panel to decide if he needs a statement aagh! I think it's unfair for those kids who aren't disruptive but need help to be refused an assessment due to a limit on the number of referrals a school can make. I was told for my older child to do it privately at a cost of £400, but i chose not to, as the school he is in now has been brilliant with him. Not every parent can afford to pay that for a report.
  • kyral
    kyral Posts: 167 Forumite
    I understand where you are coming form. Some kids just need that somebody to keep them on task.
  • mofopants
    mofopants Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just catching up on this. I am hoping too that my little girl will have a statement before she is due to start her preschool year. The man we saw was really nice and he told me his recommendation was for a special school placement. Did they meet with you at all? They came to see my child in her nursery and asked me to attend after they'd assessed her for a few hours.

Good luck x hopefully you will have it in place for starting P1 :)
  • Sugarmummy
    Yes they came out to see him at pre school and then me afterwards about 3/4 weeks ago. Hoping the preschool will have his report on Monday (I was promised that it would definitely be sent out on Thursday) I seem to be always chasing them to get things moving. The education authority also said his report would be passed to the panel on Thursday too so hopefully they will decide soon whether he will get a statement or not. I'm hoping they will keep him at his school that he's got into but we will see. It seems still a long way to go yet tho....
  • So, I am still waiting on his statement....the Board really seem to be dragging their heels. I have been on their back constantly since the summer ����. Told today that they hope to have the proposed statement in the post this Friday. It’s gonna be next term now before anything is done and he gets the help he needs. He is lucky that the school he goes to has a small number this year so he’s coping ok at present tho has the teaching assistant practically to himself, not really fair on the other kids. Why does it take so long....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure