Start a 'cottage industry'... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• RosaThorne
    RosaThorne Posts: 136 Forumite
    I'm no expert, but I think Oxfam only sell new items that have been hand-made in - I can't think of the right term - "Fair Trade" villages... Not right, non-UK made items generally. You know what I mean, it's just too early in the morning for me to think! :D And VERY expensive, £7 for 1 Christmas decoration?!
    Those arty shops, also expensive, are your best bet I guess. Or etsy
    Worth having an ask in Oxfam though, having a look at the labels etc

Sorry, I no help.. I'll go now :o
  • cazac71
    cazac71 Posts: 425 Forumite
    You have helped, thanks:o
    Yes Oxfam are very expensive, i will try etsy, and deffo look around the shops in city center.
    Caz
    Debt free after 12 years :T
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    cazac71 wrote: »
    ...Oh and is there anywhere on the net that can show me how to work a standard sewing machine, ie threading it up etc, i`ve no idea! Although sewing isnt needed for my "Newest" idea, it would be handy to learn how to use one, i cannot stand sewing by hand!

Keep the thread going its Brill

Hi Cazac71, I Googled your query and came up with this link - http://www.ehow.com/how_5839_thread-sewing-machine.html

Hope it helps.

I'm doing really rubbish on the making for selling but have managed a few sales and have also made all pressies needed so far this year, so it's still a moneysaving positive. Now booked a stall weekend of 31st May/ 1st June so I have no choice - I MUST prepares some items. Am hoping to do a couple of large papier mache banks, assorted keyrings, fridge magnets and have some plants ready. It should be helped along by the fact I just bought a (very frugal) 10' plastic greenhouse. :j That will free up valuable space elsewhere and, on sunny days, what a great place to dry out papier mache animal banks! :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • cazac71
    nykmedia wrote: »
    Hi Cazac71, I Googled your query and came up with this link - http://www.ehow.com/how_5839_thread-sewing-machine.html

Hope it helps.

I'm doing really rubbish on the making for selling but have managed a few sales and have also made all pressies needed so far this year, so it's still a moneysaving positive. Now booked a stall weekend of 31st May/ 1st June so I have no choice - I MUST prepares some items. Am hoping to do a couple of large papier mache banks, assorted keyrings, fridge magnets and have some plants ready. It should be helped along by the fact I just bought a (very frugal) 10' plastic greenhouse. :j That will free up valuable space elsewhere and, on sunny days, what a great place to dry out papier mache animal banks! :rotfl:

If your`ve made a few sales, you cant be doing rubbish;)
    Thankyou for the link, ive bookmarked it.
    You seem to have loads of things going on! I`ve been making papier mache, i didnt realise just how bloody messy it was! I`d only done it as a child. I`m going to try make Pinatas for kids parties.
    Caz
  • RosaThorne
    RosaThorne Posts: 136 Forumite
    aah papier mache... I made a "version" of Tracey Island years ago, second time it was on Blue Peter mind! It was just a huge mess on cardboard and carpet!!

I've just sorted out my plans, and getting everything gathered for some crafting next week. Almost hope the weatcher's bad so I don't want to go out :)
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    im doing very well on the crystal jewellery, i give 20 % to my work and i make a lot of bespoke stuff these day's so im happy x
    :A :j
  • Frugaldom
    Well done Karren! Thanks for keeping us all informed and keep up the good work. You can lead us by example. :T

• cazac71
    Can you Papier Mache over anything? I`ve tried balloons, but can i use more or less anything for different shapes? I suppose as long as it has a shiny-ish surface, so it wont stick when i take it off when dry.
    Does that make sense....lol:confused::rotfl:
    Caz
  • Frugaldom
    cazac71 wrote: »
    Can you Papier Mache over anything? I`ve tried balloons, but can i use more or less anything for different shapes? I suppose as long as it has a shiny-ish surface, so it wont stick when i take it off when dry.
    Does that make sense....lol:confused::rotfl:

Can you give me an idea of what type of thing you would want to papier mache? I'm a bit 'confuddled' by that one, but cling film might work. :rotfl:

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    At junior school we used to use saucers and bowls etc. we used to put a very thin layer of vaseline on the surface of the item so the papier mache would be easier to take off once enough layers have been done and it has dried.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing