About to be fired for gross misconduct...need advise

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Parking_Eyerate
    Options
    Some of your posts did come across as very confident that a protected characteristic defence would definitely have applied in different circumstances, whereas in my view there is no such certainty. I know you did not recommend that the OP should go to a tribunal and I think you were clear about saying you thought nothing could be done, but someone else randomly reading the thread later might be inclined to think that if they have anxiety then they should definitely be considered disabled etc., which is not necessarily the case.

Anyway, thanks for the reasoned discussion and hopefully things will get better for the OP.
  • Genuineguy03
    Options
    Whysosad

Yes, as everyone's case but I was referring to the OPs particular circumstances, such as is previous warnings given to him for drink related instances.And I did make clear in the same post that there was nothing that could be done.

parkingeyed

Yes I may come across as confident. But if I wasn't confident I my advice I wouldn't post it. And I was always clear a condition is only a disability if long term (likely to be, to be more accurate) and it effects their daily activities.

Whilst some can browse a thread looking for advice, I'm sure you would agree that its better they seeking advice specific to their situation, and not rely on advice given to someone else's situation - no matter how similar they are. Plus we wouldn't be at fault if they took advice given to another and used it in their own situation.

And thank you as well. Its certainly refreshing to have a reasonable discussion on things, if not relaxing.
  • ds383
    ds383 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    WhySoSad wrote: »
    I'm new to posting, but not to reading and not to this subject (personally).
    One point I wanted to bring up - I didn't know that Beta blockers caused someone to appear more drunk? Do they?

In my experience, yes.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    ds383 wrote: »
    In my experience, yes.

Side effects of propranolol can include dizziness, sleepiness and tiredness. (Bit like being drunk really).

Alcohol can exacerbate these side effects.

OP - if your GP has prescribed beta blockers (I'm assuming propranolol) you really need to discuss the alcohol interaction with the GP (and your case worker at CGL).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In fairness one hell of lot of people with mental illness self medicate with drugs or alcohol, (i think the rate can be as high as 50% of people with bipolar for example)

I hold my hands up, before i was diagnosed i relied heavily on alcohol to cope. Partly to numb myself, and oppositely partly to feel something. It wasn't good for me and looking back i recognise that.You could argue what came first but with the bipolar i've suffered since i was 11 so long before i even ever tried alcohol.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    In fairness one hell of lot of people with mental illness self medicate with drugs or alcohol, (i think the rate can be as high as 50% of people with bipolar for example)

I hold my hands up, before i was diagnosed i relied heavily on alcohol to cope. Partly to numb myself, and oppositely partly to feel something. It wasn't good for me and looking back i recognise that.You could argue what came first but with the bipolar i've suffered since i was 11 so long before i even ever tried alcohol.
    In my experience, you are correct. However, whilst one can the sympathetic to the circumstances, that does not mean that being under the influence at work, whether consumed on site or not, is something that an employer must accept. There are substantial risks to self and others, and personal responsibility for complying with health and safety legislation, employers rules, and obvious workplace expectations are not cancelled out by the claim of disability. The obvious point here is that if people are consuming drugs, whether legal or not, to self medicate, they need to get help. Some employers would be very sympathetic to assisting with support if they know there is an issue. Not all though, so that is a judgment call. You could argue that almost all consumption of nonprescription drugs is "self-medication". Drinking after a hard day at work, to get over an upset.... it's a matter of perspective, really. But when that behaviour spills over into the workplace, or any normal day to day activities, then people are taking substantial risks with themselves and others.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    In my experience, you are correct. However, whilst one can the sympathetic to the circumstances, that does not mean that being under the influence at work, whether consumed on site or not, is something that an employer must accept. There are substantial risks to self and others, and personal responsibility for complying with health and safety legislation, employers rules, and obvious workplace expectations are not cancelled out by the claim of disability. The obvious point here is that if people are consuming drugs, whether legal or not, to self medicate, they need to get help. Some employers would be very sympathetic to assisting with support if they know there is an issue. Not all though, so that is a judgment call. You could argue that almost all consumption of nonprescription drugs is "self-medication". Drinking after a hard day at work, to get over an upset.... it's a matter of perspective, really. But when that behaviour spills over into the workplace, or any normal day to day activities, then people are taking substantial risks with themselves and others.
    Oh absolutely, i do agree with you. Turning up to work drunk/on drugs isn't good for anyone and you're not just putting yourself at risk but others too. I'm not saying its acceptable just that it can be more of a symptom of certain mental illnesses. But at the end of the day we all have a personal responsibility whether that be not turning up to work drunk, or seeking professional help. . My employer has a free helpline you can call to discuss anything (including mental health drink or drugs) thats completely anonymous. I've called them myself at times i have struggled with my bipolar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure