CCJ appeared out the blue... Is it fraud? Should I call the police?

Options

Comments

• Ironone
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help after calling the court and speaking with a lawyer I have decided to report the matter to the police. Fraud is a very serious matter and I'd hate to think that other people may lose their family homes due to these CCJs. As I said I was lucky to discover mine just as it was added.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    what fraud?

a motor vehicle that was registered to yo was given a private parking ticket , and "perhaps" they wrote to the address that was listed with the DVLA .

on your initial post you stated you had lived at your property for 10 yrs , you changed this later to say 7 yrs , as posted previously the parking Co have only 6 yrs to bring a case (legally)

so after you get full details of the case (and date if offence) you might check that in the missing year you actually updated your V5
  • The only potential “fraud” here is you not updating the DVLA with your new address when you moved
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    As if the police haven't got enough to do without idiots thinking they can report a "fraud" which hasn't even happened.

Get a grip!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ironone wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your help after calling the court and speaking with a lawyer I have decided to report the matter to the police. Fraud is a very serious matter and I'd hate to think that other people may lose their family homes due to these CCJs. As I said I was lucky to discover mine just as it was added.

Have you banged your head?
  • ciderboy2009
    Options
    Ironone wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your help after calling the court and speaking with a lawyer I have decided to report the matter to the police.
    I hope you didn't pay the "lawyer" anything for that advice!

A CCJ is a civil matter - not a criminal one. Based on what you've told us I can't see that there is any way there has been any fraud.

Bear in mind that private parking companies are only allowed to request your details from DVLA once per ticket.

If you changed the registered address for the car after they had requested this info then there is no way that they could know that.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    I hope you didn't pay the "lawyer" anything for that advice!

A CCJ is a civil matter - not a criminal one. Based on what you've told us I can't see that there is any way there has been any fraud.

Bear in mind that private parking companies are only allowed to request your details from DVLA once per ticket.

If you changed the registered address for the car after they had requested this info then there is no way that they could know that.

as we know , the parking co can only obtain info once from the DVLA however the DVLA have publicly stated that a parking co should use reasonable methods of tracing person , before a court case , unless there is a recent trail of communication
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe the OP thinks "fraud" in that a company has issued a ticket and then obtained a CCJ for the unpaid ticket, because they believe they didn't receive a ticket. In reality they could have dropped someone off at an airport or nipped into a shop where cameras record entry/exit and a ticket issued for there as some don't give any free parking time.

It's not fraud, and although the company may well have done the minimum, e.g. send a few letters in normal post , before going down the legal route, they will have got information from the DVLA. If the OP has sold the car, how long after they moved property did they update the V5, and do they know the incident date.

Set aside can be very dependant on the circumstances, the judge, etc. People mistakenly believe never receiving notice is enough. The CCBC send claims forms and CCJ letters out in bulk in normal post and its not uncommon for people not to receive these even when the court has the correct address. Does the OP know who is now living in the old address and if they did anything when letters were received from the parking company or court - set asides have been granted when the company has been informed a defendant is no longer at the address but they continue anyway.
  • James1968
    Options
    So, person who bought ops old house finds something with the op's name on.
    New owner decided to register their car in op's name to avoid having to pay any parking tickets.

This would be fraud would in not?.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No

That’s just looking for excuses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts