Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 8th Nov 18, 8:13 PM
    • 3,365Posts
    • 539Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Feedback - are people bothering any more?
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:13 PM
    Feedback - are people bothering any more? 8th Nov 18 at 8:13 PM
    Now of course that's a very blanket like question and there are people who do.

I've sold here & there over the years. I'd never call myself a big seller - i'd just be getting rid of stuff i no longer want so i may sell 1 item in a 6 month spell or i may be selling (or trying to) 20 items in a fortnight.

Years ago when i started doing it people left feedback quite quickly. I don't think i listed anything throughout 2016 and most of 2017 until the very back end. I've noticed lately people just don't seem to bother leaving feedback. It either comes very 'late' or mostly not at all.

Anyone else notice this or just a coincidence for me? I posted 5 items off last week which all landed early this week. I've had 1 feedback. Years ago it would've been at least 3 or possibly 4 by now.

Page 1
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 8th Nov 18, 8:24 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 31,552 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:24 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:24 PM
    No, people don't seem to be leaving feedback like they used to. Mind you, eBay is better than Anazon. I have done over 3000 orders and have feedback of 28 and unlike eBay it rolls forward so I may end up with 0.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 8th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    kangoora
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    I've had 55 from my last 150 sales (just counted it), 95% used goods. I may get a couple more yet for stuff posted this week.

Almost 40% which is pretty good, sometimes I am hovering around the 20-25% feedback ration when I bother to take a look - it is variable.

It's difficult to build up a decent feedback rating when not a big seller (40-60 items a month - which may be a lot to some I guess, peanuts to others), two negs and a neutral in the last year dropped me to 99%.

I could probably have argued one of the negs and the neutral - why would someone leave a comment on a new, sealed item 'You have made someone very happy' and then neutral rating it
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 8,780 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    RFW
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    No, people don't seem to be leaving feedback like they used to. Mind you, eBay is better than Anazon. I have done over 3000 orders and have feedback of 28 and unlike eBay it rolls forward so I may end up with 0.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Interestingly Amazon count a non feedback transaction as a positive in your seller metrics, Ebay don't.

Amazon has never been very good at feedback. I currently get about 15% feedback on Ebay and less than 1% on Amazon.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 8th Nov 18, 10:47 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:47 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:47 PM
    why would someone leave a comment on a new, sealed item 'You have made someone very happy' and then neutral rating it
    Originally posted by kangoora
    I've often wondered this too. I'll see neutrals and negatives with comments like "great item, thanks" and "great seller, good communication" - and they'll get the negative.

What baffles me more is when leaving that kind of feedback you get a second chance - eBay is like, are you SURE you want to backhand this seller in the face?

I can only assume some people do it because 'its 4 laffs innit'.

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Nov 18, 11:13 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 10,163 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 8th Nov 18, 11:13 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 11:13 PM
    I always leave ebay feedback, and I don't think I've been cruel enough to leave negs due to seller cluelessness (even though one or two might have been deserved).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 8th Nov 18, 11:25 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 31,552 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 8th Nov 18, 11:25 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 11:25 PM
    Interestingly Amazon count a non feedback transaction as a positive in your seller metrics, Ebay don't.

Amazon has never been very good at feedback. I currently get about 15% feedback on Ebay and less than 1% on Amazon.
    Originally posted by RFW
    Really ? I have had over 3000 sales on Amazon with 1 negative and that has taken me down to 96%. I have had over 700 sales in the past year but my feedback score is falling.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Nov 18, 9:35 AM
    • 61,080 Posts
    • 43,636 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:35 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:35 AM
    I've often wondered this too. I'll see neutrals and negatives with comments like "great item, thanks" and "great seller, good communication" - and they'll get the negative.

What baffles me more is when leaving that kind of feedback you get a second chance - eBay is like, are you SURE you want to backhand this seller in the face?

I can only assume some people do it because 'its 4 laffs innit'.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    We've had people on here proudly claim that they always leave a neutral as standard unless seller has done something absolutely wonderful - some people think it makes them look big to have the power to leave poor feedback.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 9th Nov 18, 10:30 AM
    • 8,780 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    RFW
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:30 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:30 AM
    Really ? I have had over 3000 sales on Amazon with 1 negative and that has taken me down to 96%. I have had over 700 sales in the past year but my feedback score is falling.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    The feedback percentage looks low but the seller metrics count all the transactions for your negative percentage rate. So if you have 1000 transactions and get 100 feedback where 5 are negative your feedback rating is 95% but your seller rating for Amazon shows as 0.05% negative rather than 5%.
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 12th Nov 18, 11:29 AM
    • 8,313 Posts
    • 48,375 Thanks
    brightonman123
    Prompt payment is all the feedback i need..
    Long time away in real life, no web..
    Sometimes seen lurking on competitions forum :-)
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 12th Nov 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I always leave ebay feedback, it's very rare for me to leave a neutral or negative, but I will give low scores on the relevant detailed seller feedback if I'm a little unhappy with the seller but not enough to justify a neutral/negative.
    • rollingmoon
    • By rollingmoon 12th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    rollingmoon
    If I can answer as someone who stopped selling on eBay years ago - I almost never bother leaving feedback these days... maybe it's because of how eBay has changed from individuals selling to mostly businesses? I still leave nice feedback for people I've met on collections though, or where someone's obviously made a real effort, e.g. when I bought a very old radio receiver and the seller's excellent packaging had saved it's bacon when Parcelforce had apparently tried to use it as a football.

But, that aside, life's too short. I wouldn't go out of my way to leave feedback after buying a pint of milk at the supermarket, and I don't bother for the vast majority of routine transactions on eBay.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Nov 18, 3:35 PM
    • 61,080 Posts
    • 43,636 Thanks
    soolin
    By the strangest co incidence and for the first time ever on one of my private accounts I have received a message from eBay explaining that I have failed to leave feedback for a few items and telling me I should do so to improve the buyer/seller experience!

"When you buy an item, leaving Feedback is a great way to rate your experience with a seller on eBay. If you're a seller, leaving Feedback for your buyers is a great way to say thank you."

I find that so strange
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • sham63
    • By sham63 12th Nov 18, 4:13 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    sham63

I've had 1 feedback. Years ago it would've been at least 3 or possibly 4 by now.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Do you, as the seller, leave feedback first? If not it might explain why.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Nov 18, 9:55 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Do you, as the seller, leave feedback first? If not it might explain why.
    Originally posted by sham63
    Always.

Years ago i wouldn't (when we could leave negatives for dishonest/problematic buyers) but these days i just leave a positive because they paid and i leave it when they pay for the simple reason of if i buy from someone and they don't leave me feedback then i don't leave them any, so i think that way when selling as well.

If someone pays instantly then i say something like super fast payment or instant payment, fantastic buyer etc. If they take more than a day to pay then i just tone it down like paid for item, thanks for your custom.

• bris
    • By bris 13th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    • 8,058 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    bris
    I no longer leave feed back, ever. This started the day they took away the right for a seller to leave negative feedback.

If it's one sided then its none at all for me.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 14th Nov 18, 12:44 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    kangoora
    As a buyer I always leave feedback once the item is received and checked.

As a seller I only leave feedback once I have received feedback myself.

What's the point of putting 'Wonderful buyer, great Ebayer A+++' and then getting a spurious INR or SNAD claim 3 weeks later. I know I can't leave negative feedback in these cases but I can damn sure not leave false positive feedback also. Also, if someone can't be @rsed to leave me feedback why should I use up my time giving them feedback
    Last edited by kangoora; 14-11-2018 at 12:46 AM.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Nov 18, 8:16 AM
    • 61,080 Posts
    • 43,636 Thanks
    soolin
    As a buyer I always leave feedback once the item is received and checked.

As a seller I only leave feedback once I have received feedback myself.

What's the point of putting 'Wonderful buyer, great Ebayer A+++' and then getting a spurious INR or SNAD claim 3 weeks later. I know I can't leave negative feedback in these cases but I can damn sure not leave false positive feedback also. Also, if someone can't be @rsed to leave me feedback why should I use up my time giving them feedback
    Feedback for a buyer is immaterial but feedback for a seller on occasions could be vital- so not being @rsed might not be the right attitude. A lot of us here have run into issues with our metrics and rely on getting a fair bit of feedback to water down the percentage, whether it be to dilute a negative or water down the percentage late defects . So possibly depending on the state of the account, keeping a regular flow of feedback coming in might be critical.

Also having been left a positive doesn't mean they aren't later going to try something dodgy.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 14th Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    kangoora
    Feedback for a buyer is immaterial but feedback for a seller on occasions could be vital- so not being @rsed might not be the right attitude. A lot of us here have run into issues with our metrics and rely on getting a fair bit of feedback to water down the percentage, whether it be to dilute a negative or water down the percentage late defects . So possibly depending on the state of the account, keeping a regular flow of feedback coming in might be critical.

Also having been left a positive doesn't mean they aren't later going to try something dodgy.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I think you've read my post the wrong way around. I always leave feedback when I'm buying i.e. FB to the seller - when I'm selling I only leave feedback to buyers if they can be bothered to leave me feedback.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 15th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    sham63
    I think you've read my post the wrong way around. I always leave feedback when I'm buying i.e. FB to the seller - when I'm selling I only leave feedback to buyers if they can be bothered to leave me feedback.
    If we bought or sold to each other, neither of us would receive feedback!

I always leave feedback first as a seller, as has been pointed out above, the buyer has fulfilled their obligation by paying.

I won’t leave feedback as a buyer until the seller has left me feedback.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

2,059Users online

Martin's Twitter