What your credit score really means

Comments

• Hello all - got a separate query but trying to find an active thread on MSE CC (and couldn't find a thread on this). My wife's having trouble logging into the Credit Club, due to some sort of ID validation issues. We know we've put in the correct details - we've just had children so thought maybe that was putting them off (they were expecting zero children?!). But no way we cut it, Experian / CC are not letting us log in. Is it just a matter of contacting Experian? Help greatly appreciated.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AM1985 wrote: »
    Hello all - got a separate query but trying to find an active thread on MSE CC (and couldn't find a thread on this). My wife's having trouble logging into the Credit Club, due to some sort of ID validation issues. We know we've put in the correct details - we've just had children so thought maybe that was putting them off (they were expecting zero children?!). But no way we cut it, Experian / CC are not letting us log in. Is it just a matter of contacting Experian? Help greatly appreciated.

You tried logging into Experian ?
  • Mr.Anderson
    Mr.Anderson Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2018 at 12:06AM
    AM1985 wrote: »
    Hello all - got a separate query but trying to find an active thread on MSE CC (and couldn't find a thread on this). My wife's having trouble logging into the Credit Club, due to some sort of ID validation issues. We know we've put in the correct details - we've just had children so thought maybe that was putting them off (they were expecting zero children?!). But no way we cut it, Experian / CC are not letting us log in. Is it just a matter of contacting Experian? Help greatly appreciated.

I had this same or similar issue. I then tried logging into my Experian account (I had one years ago) and couldn't get in to that either, so contacted Experian.

After a very length process they said it was due to me having made it part way through an application for another Experian product at some point, and this was blocking me from getting through to use my account. Unfortunately they couldn't reset my application or fix my account and the only solution they offered was a hard copy of my report.

Hopefully you contacted them and got past your issue, and if you did please share the solution.

I wonder if I will be locked out of Experian for life :undecided

Wouldn't really bother me other than at one stage, despite being in a good financial position, I couldn't get a mobile phone contract due to an issue with my credit score. Turned out to be an overlap of start and end dates on an address on my file, which when manually fixed by Experian rectified my score and enabled me to get the contract.

Starting to think I just have really bad luck with Experian :undecided
  • Nothing to do with your score.

The data on your files were updated.

The made up number means diddly
  • Why companies don't have to be honest and supply all the information they have about you? I had 6 accounts with E.ON the electricity company, 5 I knew about and were paid in full and on time, one I thought was closed had £13.62 outstanding, E.ON reported me to Equifax 5 months in a row about the one invoice I didn't know about but didn't have to disclose to Equifax that during the very same period, I was paying 5 accounts in full, as a direct result of their cover up, my credit rating went from OUTSTANDING to poor which stopped me from remortgaging for better interest rates.
  • Additional utility accounts wouldn't particularly help. The expectation is that they are paid on time.

Your fictional credit rating didn't stop you remortgaging. Only your credit history and circumstance can do that, but with a decent broker, you'd still have had options.
  • That wouldn't have stopped you re-mortgaging.

There would be more on your files that's amiss that one missed utility payment
  • This is great :)
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Carol55 wrote: »
    Why companies don't have to be honest and supply all the information they have about you? I had 6 accounts with E.ON the electricity company, 5 I knew about and were paid in full and on time, one I thought was closed had £13.62 outstanding, E.ON reported me to Equifax 5 months in a row about the one invoice I didn't know about but didn't have to disclose to Equifax that during the very same period, I was paying 5 accounts in full, as a direct result of their cover up, my credit rating went from OUTSTANDING to poor which stopped me from remortgaging for better interest rates.
    The fussiest of lenders like say First Direct might reject without bothering to ask what happened but because of the reason it should have been easy for a broker to get you a mortgage. Even for the fussiest it might have been doable if the situation was explained. The low amount, other accounts and the known problems with utility companies would normally make something like that not a big deal.

Disclosing accounts that have no problems is controversial and many people don't like to have them reported. But E.ON should really have tried harder to let you know about the account and you might complain to them about that and perhaps end up with a small inconvenience payment or offer from them to explain to your mortgage lender.
  • Persil43 wrote: »
    Thank you for the information!

Thanks for the Spam!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family