PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy now or wait till BREXIT

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »
    Thanks for backing up my point with your link. Here are some choice quotes from your link:

"The lender says uncertainty over the economic outlook appears to be undermining confidence in the market."

"It seems to be the uncertain economic outlook that is really weighing on buyer sentiment. I think once that lifts then things should start to pick up to normal levels of about 2%."

"While the supply of homes for sale also has dwindled, the balance of demand and supply has shifted in buyers' favour. That said, we continue to doubt that a sustained period of falling house prices is likely."

"Meanwhile thousands of would-be sellers are instead hunkering down and waiting until things improve before putting their home on the market."

As I expected you never answered my question.:rotfl:

"The lender says"

A baker isn`t going to tell people to stop buying bread are they?:rotfl:

What you have quoted are people`s opinions (people with a VI in keeping other people interested in mortgage debt)

My quote, from the BOE, is a fact (unless you believe that the BOE just make up their stats?) so do you now accept that when you said that credit conditions hadn`t changed you were factually incorrect?
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 January 2019 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Ok, I bite
    My quote is a fact

From your factual link:
    UK house prices grew at an annual pace of 0.5% in December
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • 51mm5
    51mm5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why are they making BTL unattractive to new borrowers then, surely that is one of the important plates?

Exactly, one of the plates and it's not going to stop BTL dead the tax changes are phased in so landlords have had time to prepare. There are many IO BTL deals on the market still being offered by banks a very low rates. The horse as bolted on that one, there are millions of privately let homes most paid off already. Yet, there's will still be people wanting to rent out, you regularly get threads on here people enquiring about it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are they making BTL unattractive to new borrowers then, surely that is one of the important plates?

Because they’ve decided that plate should spin a lot more slowly.

Quite rightly in my opinion.

It doesn’t appear to have cause a massive BTL sell off or blood on the streets, so I’d say it’s been managed well and made things a bit fairer.
  • 51mm5
    Options
    "The lender says"

A baker isn`t going to tell people to stop buying bread are they?:rotfl:

What you have quoted are people`s opinions (people with a VI in keeping other people interested in mortgage debt)

My quote, from the BOE, is a fact (unless you believe that the BOE just make up their stats?) so do you now accept that when you said that credit conditions hadn`t changed you were factually incorrect?

It was your link, not my fault it worked against you.:T
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Crashy is always posting links that don’t back up what he/she says.
    Very annoying and wish they would buzz off, not because I don’t agree with him/her but because they just rant on the same old rhetoric and fail EVERY time to back it up.

I enjoy listening to people on opposite opinions and on occasion I change my mind when they present a well argued point, but crashy is just an annoying troll repeating the same old rhetoric and falling to show how he/she has benefitted.

I’m not a millionaire but I can at least say I have a good house and good pension, so can’t have done that badly.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Because they’ve decided that plate should spin a lot more slowly.

Quite rightly in my opinion.

It doesn’t appear to have cause a massive BTL sell off or blood on the streets, so I’d say it’s been managed well and made things a bit fairer.

It hasn`t even started properly yet, the next move will be HMRC going back ten or even 20 years to see who has not been declaring income. IMO they don`t want a massive sell off, just close the gate and tax existing landlords more. Here is another plate that is starting to wobble
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-46753012

Something tells me that the juggler is less committed to keeping the plates in the air than they used to be.
  • 51mm5
    Options
    It hasn`t even started properly yet, the next move will be HMRC going back ten or even 20 years to see who has not been declaring income. IMO they don`t want a massive sell off, just close the gate and tax existing landlords more. Here is another plate that is starting to wobble

Something tells me that the juggler is less committed to keeping the plates in the air than they used to be.

You've completely lost it now. Yet another unrelated link. Therefore I'm out, as no point debating any further. I don't know why I bite in the first place. :(
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »
    You've completely lost it now. Yet another unrelated link. Therefore I'm out, as no point debating any further. I don't know why I bite in the first place. :(

So more council tax on empty homes and mortgage lending massively down from a few years ago doesn`t relate to house prices/transactions also being under pressure from Brexit......?...Ok :)
  • lisyloo
    Options

HMRC are totally underfunded and don’t even have enough resources to go after the low hanging fruit.
    As usual you present zero evidence to back this up

As for empty properties, it completely correct that there is a disincentive for keeping empty properties (and I say that selling one myself), but the fact is they are a tiny part of the problem, so maybe a teacup saucer.

But good, some plates should wobble.

The majority of landlords who owned for a while and have tenants in situ are going to do nothing at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure