Fixed speed cameras on M1?

13»

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I dont agree that cameras should be visible. People should have a good understanding of the law and seek to be compliant. Its really easy to do. Just ensure that your car doesnt exceed the speed limit.

They should yes, but often a reminder such as a visible speed camera can keep people focused. They're also proven to act as a deterrent - for example people going the other way other motorway would see them also and are more likely to slow down.

I think statistically its been proven to be more effective overall.
  • I dont agree that cameras should be visible. People should have a good understanding of the law and seek to be compliant. Its really easy to do. Just ensure that your car doesnt exceed the speed limit.

Except that 70mph limit on a motorway in a country that isn't blanketed by snow is just daft
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Just to add to this - the Chief Constable of Bedforshire Police went on a radio programme - Think it was - and stated that his force was so short of money that they were using the overhead gantry cameras on the stretch of the M1 wich runs through his force area to raise money for his forces.

The speed limits used by the cameras were progressively lowered until they were dishing out tickets to anyone doing more than the 70 limit - friend got one for doing 70.5 mph or for only half mph over the limit.

There was much discussion about it in the area at the time.
  • motorguy
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Just to add to this - the Chief Constable of Bedforshire Police went on a radio programme - Think it was - and stated that his force was so short of money that they were using the overhead gantry cameras on the stretch of the M1 wich runs through his force area to raise money for his forces.

The speed limits used by the cameras were progressively lowered until they were dishing out tickets to anyone doing more than the 70 limit - friend got one for doing 70.5 mph or for only half mph over the limit.

There was much discussion about it in the area at the time.

Yes, its good to see the police being honest about it finally - speed cameras are used to generate revenue, not to prevent accidents.

I remember a lifetime ago being on Boucher Road and getting stopped for doing 42MPH. I "assumed" it was a 40MPH zone, wrongly obviously, based on it being a non residential zone and a big twin lane road. I remember the policewoman filling out the paperwork as all these cars zoomed past me clearly oblivious to the 30MPH speed limit and i said given people clearly dont know its a 30MPH zone, would it not be more effective to put up 30MPH speed limit signs along here and thus let people know and thus pretty much prevent the speeding?" - oh thats not our job, that would be the councils job to do that. It seemed handy money to pick off speeders and generate revenue rather than solve the problem.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Getting back to the original post, I suspect this has come from a Facebook post doing the rounds which was recently shared by a group in the Northwest which the PSNI then shared to explain to people that this was not applicable in Northern Ireland. It went on to clarify the local law surrounding speeding to try and stop the original post being shared. As usual though, it is shared far and wide across Facebook by people who do not stop and check things out before sharing.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • motorguy
    Bigcammy wrote: »
    Getting back to the original post, I suspect this has come from a Facebook post doing the rounds which was recently shared by a group in the Northwest which the PSNI then shared to explain to people that this was not applicable in Northern Ireland. It went on to clarify the local law surrounding speeding to try and stop the original post being shared. As usual though, it is shared far and wide across Facebook by people who do not stop and check things out before sharing.

Yeah. One of the reasons i no longer use facebook. Far too many people sharing nonsense as fact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure