Comments

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a good day all round :)

I need coffee I'm hoping to fit it on my shopping list next week :p

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The decluttering is very impressive Cherryfudge :)
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you lovely peeps :).

Today was supposed to be an NSD but I bought a few extra veg for the family (30g of fibre being big news). I admit I got the coming week's money out a day early for it, too. I hope to spend a little less this week though as I'm planning to spend a few days decluttering Mum's old house and there's quite a lot in my cupboard there.

Oh, and grrr... my maths has let me down. I put a note on the calendar to cancel Amaz0n Pr1me but I must have counted wrongly as the money has gone out on 13th not the 14th as I'd expected. So I'm down £7.99 :( but I hope to grab it back either through free magazines on there (I found a knitting one that addresses three things I had queries about, and screen-shotted - if there's such a word - a beautiful pattern that's currently too hard for me). So do I try to get them to cancel anyway and refund me, as someone has said they did for her, or do I just run with it and download lots to read while away? I don't use the membership for videos or music as they aren't really my thing - though I could investigate something to play while I'm away to give me some company. Then would I be tempted to keep it while I still have the house to visit? (Probably).

I know I cancelled my paper magazine subscription but it was less than Pr1me.

In other news, we have tried out the sample pot of paint for the feature wall in the lounge and it's really nice - but also far more expensive than I thought paint could ever be! No decision made yet. I suppose we are largely past the era of sticky finger prints and crayon marks, but that could well roll round again - even expensive paint woudn't last forever. In addition one of the new kitchen cabinets is now up and the door fitted (we'll have to send away for bits for the other cabinet as the store didn't have them).I'm happy with how it looks and have decided to use it for our two glass cake stands and my cookie cutter collection - pure indulgence having these things but they make me smile, and one of the cake stands is inherited from Mum.

In other words, we are spending money on the house. It's long overdue, but when we arranged to do DH's trip of a lifetime for our anniversary last year, my condition was that instead of another big spend on travel this year, we had to put some money into the kitchen. As you may remember, we then got the log burner which is gorgeous and has cut our other fuel bills but was a big expense and means the lounge needs a complete makeover. The kitchen would actually fail a hygiene inspection (I know this through work) because of the state of the tiles, and two cupboards died on us and have had to be replaced, and the kitchen is very visible in the house, so I think I'm justified in wanting it presentable.

As you know, spending costs money, and DH is therefore getting very twitchy about me overpaying the mortgage, apart from the little bit that's included in the DD. I can see his point that we need to build up our emergency fund to where it used to be, but I'm not happy getting 'behind' on my intended mortgage payments, which come out of another account, even though we are actually ahead with them. DH is right that when we finish sorting out the estate we should have the money we need, but I was hoping to put more into my ultra-skinny pension.

I think that's partly what's lead to me overspending a bit. It feels like 'What's the point in making an effort if I can't throw the results at my goal?'

Anyway... nil desperandum. I shall have a bath and go to bed then I have two days off before three nights away. There are a few things to do, but much of the time is set aside for 'me time'. :)

Spending:
    Amaz0n £7.99
    Housekeeping £3.80
    MS:
    More oats for tea. My favourite!
    Beautiful knitting pattern for free.
    Decluttering:
    6 items including a whole bag of sweet potatoes that didn't get used for their original purpose but went down very well as matchstick fries at dinner.
    Confessions:
    Argh, Pr1me caught me!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Amazon are really good at refunding if you do decide to go down that route. I miss mine though :o Not helping am I?#

Could you take the colour to have a similar paint made up somewhere? I don't know if that's any cheaper though. I just but the cheapest :rotfl:

Hope you got a good nights sleep and have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Amazon are really good at refunding if you do decide to go down that route. I miss mine though :o Not helping am I?#

Ha ha, no not at all :D

That's a really good idea about the paint, thanks. Could save us considerably. :)

No decision yet, I'm half awake after being up till about 3. I was nearly ready for bed (late, admittedly) when the care line rang to say DFiL had a fall, so I woke DH and he went round. Paramedics were already there and FiL seemed okay so DH went home again, then the care line rang again to say the medics had found an infection so had taken him to hospital (it's just around the corner).

Meanwhile DS2 has exams this week and I should get myself in gear to achieve something today. It's beautifully sunny so I feel I could Do Things if only I could get started. :D

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    A positive from yesterday (I keep forgetting to add them): DS was finally caught in receptive mode. I asked him whether he is eligible for NHS discounts; he actually came over and had a look over my shoulder at some stuff about it and decided he might be, though he's not what he would call a medical student. (I know what he means, but I think he's being too technical). I hope that it might free up his finances in some way.

Also positive: he has a placement that suits his interests and may not cost him a fortune in petrol. It will last something like 10 weeks, I think he said, so that could be 10 weeks of him gaining skills in an environment he's happy with and hopefully getting petrol costs as he'll have to use his car locally. I see that as adding up to a communicative, happy DS2 - which is a delight.

• WannabeFree
    Options
    Great news for DS :D

Hope FIL is okay.

Hope you get some more sleep/rest!

x
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 15 January 2019 at 12:09AM
    Options
    Thanks Wannabe :)

DFiL is still in hospital - they suspect a UTI and are keeping an eye on him. DH visited at lunchtime and J went after work and they say he seems okay. J thought he seemed a bit hyped up but DH says that happens sometimes.

DS2 has survived his exam... not too bad, apparently. He has also got himself a parking ticket. Some people learn the hard way - he takes after his Mum, LOL.

And good news we didn't expect yet - I'm a Great Aunt! Well, I knew I was a fantastic Mum, etc., but being a great aunt is going to take a little getting used to. Mum and baby doing well, baby is on the small side but they knew that would happen.

Money-wise, I went to the supermarket and bought a big jar of coffee. I drink far too much of it, albeit decaf. This was £2 off so worth getting even though I've not finished the last lot. I also got my vitamins in bulk as that saved £3.75 and lasts ages, even though it's expensive as an outlay. I need to keep them up because my mood slumps if I don't. Other than that the supermarket was bananas, pasta, pesto, eggs, tinned fruit and cappuccino. I aslo wandered round the charity shops, having rightly assumed they would have their best stock so soon after Christmas. I resisted a really pretty top that I don't need but found two nice pairs of trousers - necessary as one of my favourite pairs is (ahem!) too tight and the other favourite pair is wearing out. While I was there I spotted two little cups that match a set my sister has from the 1950s so I got them to go towards her birthday present. I hope she likes them... maybe I should try to find out before I give them away as they are sweet! :D

Spending:
    Clothing £4.49 + £3.50 = 7.99
    Housekeeping £17.39
    Gift £2.50
    MS:
    Both pairs of trousers for well under a tenner! (And they are M&S and John Lewis).
    £5.75 saved over coffee and vitamins.
    Lunch and dinner from stores.
    10th coin savings 50p
    Wombled 20p
    Decluttering:
    A couple of old containers as I put things away in the new cupboard.

• WannabeFree
    Options
    Ouch to the parking ticket :(

Hope FIL is on the mend, hopefully antibiotics and a close eye will have him recovered asap.

Congratulations on the new baby :D

xx
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    And...Tuesday.
    List day.
    I have a physio appointment this afternoon, and if DFiL is still in hospital I can visit him at the same time. Might take him some shandy to cheer him up. :)
    I haven't got a lot done about the house yet today though I've done some preparation for a study I'm taking this evening and there's a load in the washer.
    I need to:
    get my ticket for tomorrow
    check what food I might need to take with me
    ask someone to get my travel bag out of the loft
    pay my CC (it was down for maintenance last time I tried)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport