Anyone on here sell on Etsy

Ive got quite cheesed off with Ebay and was looking at Etsy earlier.

According to the 'What can I sell' it states that everything has to be either Handmade, Craft Goods or Vintage which must be at least 20 years old.

However looking through the listings there seems to be a lot of the same tat that you find on Ebay and its neither vintage nor handmade.

Im sure Black Wetlook PVC bodysuits are a relatively new thing, I don't remember my grandma having one! (But who knows, lol).

So whats the score, they have these rules and yet there seems to be just anything listed. Is it any better than Ebay?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Ive got quite cheesed off with Ebay and was looking at Etsy earlier.

According to the 'What can I sell' it states that everything has to be either Handmade, Craft Goods or Vintage which must be at least 20 years old.

However looking through the listings there seems to be a lot of the same tat that you find on Ebay and its neither vintage nor handmade.

Im sure Black Wetlook PVC bodysuits are a relatively new thing, I don't remember my grandma having one! (But who knows, lol).

So whats the score, they have these rules and yet there seems to be just anything listed. Is it any better than Ebay?

I had a shop for a while but struggled to sell anything and in the end the fees weren't really worth it. For cheaper items I found it dearer than eBay.

As you say the place is full of the usual Far East tat being sold everywhere, except that they use the term vintage to get past the rules. Lots of brand new vintage quartz batery watches etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I will give it a miss, better the devil you know.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I will give it a miss, better the devil you know.

If you use a referral link from the referrer board you get some free listings so it might be worth trying the freebies and seeing how you get on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I list on Etsy, I never sell on it.
    I actually forgot I'd ever put anything on it, I had a few listings on there that I'd sold out of on Amazon about 6 months earlier!

I buy a bit on there and used a seller for some Christmas presents in the last couple of years. I checked this year and their sales were shockingly low. It seems to me that it's more of a direct marketplace that sellers who use craft markets can get customers to buy from them online. So browser shopping in the way of Amazon and Ebay is much less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure