PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice appreciated on the best way forward

Options
Hi all, I would love your advice on our current situation, we are really stuck what to do for the best.
We both retired from our jobs in the forces this year so we are both in receipt of pensions. With our lump sum we paid off our mortgage. We both now work in other jobs, my husband full time and I am part time.
We have inherited some money. So we looked for a new home. We found one we liked, a Kier home new build. We went to them under their part exchange offer, it they gave us a low quote so are now trying their ‘smooth move’ which is where they hold the plot we want and try to sell our house in 6 weeks.
Tonight, after going over and over this - we have wondered whether it would be better to take a small mortgage out in the new property which would make it certain we got the plot we want. Then, when we have moved in (plot not ready until May) we could sell our house, then pay the mortgage off.
Does this sound a realistic way round it? The part exchange offer was £45,000 less than an estate agent valued us at on the same day. We are in an ex show home so we absolutely know our house is likely to sell. One of the part exchange EAs said to me that our house was immaculate and would easily get the asking price. Of course I am not naive and know the house is only worth what someone will pay.
It seems crazy in one way to get a mortgage when our equity is in the house - but if we don’t sort it soon then we could lose our plot.
I know we would be stung for double stamp duty as we would already have a house, but I think we could claim that back if we sell within three years?
Any comments would really be appreciated.

Comments

• Sligo_Smokey
    Options
    Quote; We are in an ex show home so we absolutely know our house is likely to sell

well, good luck with that philosophy
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Quote; We are in an ex show home so we absolutely know our house is likely to sell

well, good luck with that philosophy

Totally agree with that - and if it was a new build then it's likely to have lost value. To my mind, the best way forward would be to put your current home on the market to see what interest you get. It might not be as easy to sell as you'd hope. Can you afford to carry a mortgage if it takes a year to sell?
  • KayJay
    KayJay Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Lioness for your comments. What I meant was because it is the ex show it is in a good plot with a great view. The house has been valued at 110K more than we paid and we could afford to drop 20k. So we will look at a mortgage tomorrow and get ours on the market.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KayJay wrote: »
    So we looked for a new home. We found one we liked, a Kier home new build. We went to them under their part exchange offer, it they gave us a low quote
    Of course they did...
    They're buying your house off you, and looking to resell it. That costs them time and money. They're doing you that as a favour to help sell their new-build, no more than that.

If you trade your old car in against a new one, you wouldn't expect to get the same for the old one in PX as you could sell it for privately, would you? Why should a house be different?

Tonight, after going over and over this - we have wondered whether it would be better to take a small mortgage out in the new property which would make it certain we got the plot we want. Then, when we have moved in (plot not ready until May) we could sell our house, then pay the mortgage off.
    Early redemption charges, +3% SDLT, what if your old one doesn't sell?

We are in an ex show home so we absolutely know our house is likely to sell.
    Again, in used car analogies, that means it was the pre-reg ex-demo...

"Show home" simply means that the developer made it look pretty for buyers to look at. No more than that. How many years ago was that...?

I know we would be stung for double stamp duty as we would already have a house, but I think we could claim that back if we sell within three years?
    Not "double", although it might be, depending on the purchase price. +3%. And, yes, you can reclaim it if you sell in three years.

KayJay wrote: »
    What I meant was because it is the ex show it is in a good plot with a great view.
    Ah, now that's a separate thing entirely... The show home's location could well have been chosen because it's the most visible property on the development, with a "great view" of the main road...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure