Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Downshifterella
    Options
    Well done on the tidying KC little by little definitely all adds up! :)
    Good luck with the Jerusalem artichokes, I have to say I'm not sure if I've ever eaten one but always looking for ideas of new things to grow!
    Ella X
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The artichokes make a lovely smooth soup, but they are not known as f*rtichokes for nothing :rotfl::o

We planted a few tubers in our heavy clay soil in Dorset, they improve the soil condition immensely, but they multiply well and if you decide you don't want them any more you might be digging them out for years, however they are very easy to get out so not a big problem for us at the time.

About 4" on snow here and snowing hard still, forecast says due to stop soon. So pleased that I had a lovely session gardening in the sun on Friday:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ....Good luck with the Jerusalem artichokes, I have to say I'm not sure if I've ever eaten one but always looking for ideas of new things to grow!
    Ella X

I've definitely never eaten one but I think lots of people grow them just for their decorative value if it's the plant I think it is.
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Ah thanks CBC ... I almost googled to see if you *could* eat them before posting and sounding like a Wally for trying! ;) Still a bit new to the whole gardening lark! :rotfl:
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Karmcat~~Any tips on cleaning my silly wee side sink thingy?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on the tidying KC little by little definitely all adds up! :)
    Good luck with the Jerusalem artichokes, I have to say I'm not sure if I've ever eaten one but always looking for ideas of new things to grow!
    Ella X
    maddiemay wrote: »
    The artichokes make a lovely smooth soup, but they are not known as f*rtichokes for nothing :rotfl::o

We planted a few tubers in our heavy clay soil in Dorset, they improve the soil condition immensely, but they multiply well and if you decide you don't want them any more you might be digging them out for years, however they are very easy to get out so not a big problem for us at the time.
    Hi Ella :) hi maddiemay :) thanks for your input. As for the J/artichokes, they're perennial, they're low carb, prebiotic so I hear, I can put up with the f*artichokeness :D
    About 4" on snow here and snowing hard still, forecast says due to stop soon. So pleased that I had a lovely session gardening in the sun on Friday:D
    That sounds great! The lovely session does, anyway! My snow is slowly melting, there's just a few bits and bobs laying around, but I'm still going to do more of the "little and often" inside the house. It's going very, very slowly, but I'm starting to see a difference :)
    I've definitely never eaten one but I think lots of people grow them just for their decorative value if it's the plant I think it is.
    No idea what the it looks like :o:o:o dear me!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Karmcat~~Any tips on cleaning my silly wee side sink thingy?

Me? Are you sure? :D:rotfl::kisses3: To clean my kitchen sink (which is a 1.5er, I presume thats what you mean?) I just use Stardrops plus a piece of wire wool or a kitchen sponge. Every so often, there's too much gunk in the plughole, and I fish down there with a kitchen knife, pulling out as much as I can, then submerge everything in bicarbonate of soda, industrial-size package. Let it soak, flush with very hot water, do it again. The drop of my drains isn't very big, so I have had problems occasionally, whereas I never had them before, but thats what I'm currently doing. Hope it helps, beanie xxx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks karmcat :)
    First world problems indeed!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 March 2018 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Hi Ella :) hi maddiemay :) thanks for your input. As for the J/artichokes, they're perennial, they're low carb, prebiotic so I hear, I can put up with the f*artichokeness :D

No idea what the it looks like :o:o:o dear me!

Silly me:o. Sorry if I've confused anyone apart from myself. It was the Globe Artichoke that I was thinking of. It is certainly a splendid-looking plant and I was thinking of planting a couple at one time. Maybe now I've been reminded of it I might yet do so;)

Links to the Globe one here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingartichokes1.shtml

and

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/artichoke-vert-globe/classid.2000014699/
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Gotcha, CBC! You know what, globe artichokes are imprinted on my brain forever, involving my parents not knowing how to eat them, after being served them in a hotel restaurant ... it was agony! And very memorable.

This afternoon, I have watched the snow. That's it. I haven't even had the computer on :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure