Urgent advice please!

Hi, after a long period of unemployment and rising debts my son applied for a live in job at an Inn, he was offered a full time position after a couple of days which was great. After a couple of months he phoned complaining he and a female colleague were being exploited being made to work longer hours without being paid for them. He has not recieved a wage slip or a list of duties required of him yet only excuses why they can't pay him all his wage because buisness is bad, also he was unsure if his tax and national insurance payments are being made. I advised him to leave but due to no transport, accomadation and no benefits to rely on if he left of his own accord he has stayed on working hoping it would all turn out ok. A phone call this Friday after about 6 months he's desperate working 80 hours plus, tired and little time off, more and more duties to perform, a cold room to sleep in, no visitors allowed and confirmation now that he hasn't been registered for tax or national insurance deductions by his employer and only geting paid £160 a week. He feels like a prisoner unable to complain for fear of being made homeless and unemployed, nowhere to go with all his belongings and stacks of worked hours unpaid. I've told him to go to the local job center for help but don't expect much help from them, if the employer gets wind of anything he's out and homeless, can someone give any positive advice for him so he gets justice and doesn't end up carrying the can?
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    june2rose wrote: »
    Hi, after a long period of unemployment and rising debts my son applied for a live in job at an Inn, he was offered a full time position after a couple of days which was great. After a couple of months he phoned complaining he and a female colleague were being exploited being made to work longer hours without being paid for them. He has not recieved a wage slip or a list of duties required of him yet only excuses why they can't pay him all his wage because buisness is bad, also he was unsure if his tax and national insurance payments are being made. I advised him to leave but due to no transport, accomadation and no benefits to rely on if he left of his own accord he has stayed on working hoping it would all turn out ok. A phone call this Friday after about 6 months he's desperate working 80 hours plus, tired and little time off, more and more duties to perform, a cold room to sleep in, no visitors allowed and confirmation now that he hasn't been registered for tax or national insurance deductions by his employer and only geting paid £160 a week. He feels like a prisoner unable to complain for fear of being made homeless and unemployed, nowhere to go with all his belongings and stacks of worked hours unpaid. I've told him to go to the local job center for help but don't expect much help from them, if the employer gets wind of anything he's out and homeless, can someone give any positive advice for him so he gets justice and doesn't end up carrying the can?

If the employer can't afford to pay him in full and on time because the business is bad, then it sounds like he will be out of a job and homeless pretty soon anyway.

As he feels he's being exploited, being made to work longer for no additional reward, it doesn't sound like he's at all happy.

You have done right by suggesting he gets himself down the job centre. Hopefully he will find himself a new job he will feel more happy in soon.

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    june2rose wrote: »

Hi

Undertandably your son is concerned about his working conditions and vulnerable housing.

Whilst Job Centre Plus can 'sanction' someone for leaving a job voluntarily, i.e. refuse Job Seekers Allowance for a period it is possible to show that it was reasonable to leave. If your son decides to leave he should provide as much information to the Job Centre regarding the poor working conditions.

Your son has a statutory right to an itemised pay slip and the employer has a duty to pass on deductions for income tax and National Insurance to HMRC.

If your son leaves and is owed wages he could take a claim to an Employment Tribunal under the Wages Act for illegal deduction of wages. He could also raise the issue of lack of pay slips.

We would urge your son to visit his local CAB, details of which can be found on www.citizensadvice.org.uk > find your local bureau, for support. They may also be able to advise whether there are any local schemes to assist single people on benefits/low income to access private rented accommodation.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure