Joined up BR's?...

Options
Apart from a joint-BR can the IS link BR's say, 9 months apart?

E.G. if someone today went BR and had paperwork of an event (involving cash or an item) that A.N.Other paid for, and in a year or less Mr A.N.Other went BR could the IS pull paperwork up from "Event 1" up in the matter of "Event 2" as evidence?.................

A mate bought a relative an item and that relative is going BR with paperwork to prove who paid for it (i.e. not them), should the purchaser of the Bentley go under in 9 months would the previous case be brought up?

(its not a Bentley BTW,... its a TV)

:rotfl:
Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So A bought B a Bentley TV and then B goes bankrupt. B shows the OR that they have an expensive TV but that it is on loan from A and belongs to A, therefore B shouldn't be required to sell the expensive TV.

Then downstream, A goes bankrupt and explains the purchase by saying it was a gift to a kind relative, so not in their possession.

I would have thought that either it was a gift to B and therefore B loses it on bankruptcy (assuming a second hand TV is worth while selling by the OR) or that it was bought and owned by A and it has to be given up when A goes bankrupt.

Assuming honesty all round.

Someone owns it and whoever owns it at the point of their bankruptcy is at risk of losing it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • alltaken
    alltaken Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    Transaction at undervalue?
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    Would the IS handling BR "A" check over BR "B"'s applications 6 months later and say..."hang on, Mr A had a £1000 telly 6 months ago that Mr B bought didnt he?"
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • silvercar
    Options
    Would the IS handling BR "A" check over BR "B"'s applications 6 months later and say..."hang on, Mr A had a £1000 telly 6 months ago that Mr B bought didnt he?"

Whoever owns it needs to declare it as their asset at the time they go bankrupt.

Additionally the person that bought it may need to justify the purchase (ie they thought they could afford it at the time they purchased it.)

I assume A and B aren't in the same household, so can't see why one OR would check on another's property or expenses. There is no requirement to list relatives that have recently been bankrupt.

If A and B are in the same household then it may be more obvious.

I understood the general requirement was to answer all questions honestly, not to offer relatively random information.

Of course if required to list any assets worth over the TV's current value, then whoever owns it would need to declare it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • alltaken
    alltaken Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options

I'd imagine that cross referencing is reserved to the minimum of cases to pace. That said, would a computer system flag up that the address/partner has been bankrupt? Might be just the alert the OR assistants would look more closely at. Is it worth it for a TV?
  • silvercar
    Options
    I can't work out what you are most concerned about, the OR being upset that someone near bankruptcy bought an expensive TV to gift or that the OR may demand the TV be given up.

As a secondary question, what is the value of the TV second hand? You may not even need to mention it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure