Roofing help in scotland

Joyful
Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Can anyone advise me please? Nine years ago I had my roof replaced. They used reconditioned grey slates for the front of my home and new ones for the back. They advised these would look better and last longer than Spanish slates. I went with this company as although they all came in at around £10,500 this one had a 10 year guarantee with the National roofbuilders Federation.

The situation is over the last few months the slates have been sliding off. I can see 6 at the front and 1 at the back. They front ones are all white meaning the slates have deteriorated. I called the insurance and they advised to contact the roofer as they only get involved if the company is no longer trading!

This is not the first time slates have come off as a couple of years ago I had a firm out. Unfortunately due to a burglary I cannot prove this. I called the Roofing firm that did the original job who advised 14 slates need replaced and I will have to pay for this as I have no proof my roof was checked every year. I only ever have called someone if a slate has come off! They now want to charge me over £200 and say they will monitor it for the next year.

Is there anything I can do in this situation as feel I have been played?
Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Check the T&C on the original warranty/insurance .
    As its a warranty/insurance they can put any restrictions they want on .
    Consumer regulations are different to a warranty but have a six year limit for you to take court action .
  • Joyful
    They only say I have a duty of care. It's the roofing company that say I have to prove I had yearly checks as a duty of care? I have only ever got someone out when a slate fell off? Which interpretation of Duty of care is correct?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Check the T&C on the original warranty/insurance .
    As its a warranty/insurance they can put any restrictions they want on .
    Consumer regulations are different to a warranty but have a six year limit for you to take court action .

Isn't Scotland 5 years from discovery of fault?
  • Joyful
    I was told they would last a lifetime which is why I took out the 10year warranty. All the roofers including this one only gave a 1 year warranty.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You've had 9 years ... they're quoting £200 ... equivalent of £22.22 per year, less than £2 per month.

A warranty is subject to the terms and conditions associated with it, so the devil is in the detail. There is one general principle though ... where a term is ambiguous and can be determined in different ways, the way that favours the consumer shall apply. Enforcing that though may be a different matter.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Isn't Scotland 5 years from discovery of fault?

5 years from discovery basically, yes, although there is currently a bill to reform it due to some strange rulings from courts that went against whats been prescription policy for decades.

The courts have been interpreting it as the date you were aware of the damage/loss. This proved impossible for some as who they had a claim against could only be known after years of inquiries/investigation once the prescription period was exceeded, so the reform introduces that they must be aware i) the loss/damage has occurred, ii) the loss/damage was caused by a persons act/omission and iii) the identity of that person, before the prescription period will begin running.

Its not enacted as of yet though.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure