Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Comments

• sootylfc
    sootylfc Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi

I was travelling with KLM

Thu 15 Feb 18 11:15 Porto (Oporto Francisco Sa Carneiro, Portugal)
    Thu 15 Feb 18 14:55 Amsterdam (Schiphol, Netherlands)

Thu 15 Feb 18 16:20 Amsterdam (Schiphol, Netherlands)
    Thu 15 Feb 18 16:35 Manchester (Manchester Intl., United Kingdom)

We received at text whilst on the way the airport saying "We are very sorry, but due to a flight disruption your flight has been delayed. This means that you will arrive in AMSTERDAM later than planned. We realise that this is inconvenient and are doing our best to make your flight depart as soon as possible, new departure time 13.20pm

Due to us being delayed we was told we would miss out flight connection in Amsterdam.

They then transferred us to another flight with a connection in Madrid with Iberia.

That flight ended up being delayed and we missed our flight connection in Madrid.

We was put up in a hotel in Madrid for the night and was put on a flight then next day to London at 2pm and then to Manchester finally arriving at 630pm. This was 26 hours later than planned.

Are we able to claim for compensation for this ?

Cheers Sooty
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Sooty,

It sounds like you probably are due compensation, but it does depend on the detail.

Put in a claim with KLM and see what they come back with.

You should also claim from Iberia for the 2nd delay.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • sootylfc
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi Sooty,

It sounds like you probably are due compensation, but it does depend on the detail.

Put in a claim with KLM and see what they come back with.

You should also claim from Iberia for the 2nd delay.

Good luck.
    Cheers -

They said bad weather on the day for the delays.
    I will submit one against Iberia who the second delay was with
  • sootylfc
    Update from KLM

Thank you for your e-mail dated 3 July 2018, regarding your flight KL 1250 from Portugal to Amsterdam on 15 February 2018. I regret to learn that you and your companions were unable to travel as planned.
    Per our records, this flight was disrupted due to late arrival of incoming aircraft which in turn was delayed due to restrictions put forward by Air Traffic Control. As a result, you missed your connecting flight KL1093 and you were rebooked on flights IB8727 and IB3692 on the same day. However you missed the rebooked connecting flight IB3692 and were rebooked on BA7060 and BA1398. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to this disruption.
    ATC has responsibility of all the carriers from different airlines. There are many aircrafts landing and take offs at the same time and Airlines have to adhere to their restrictions. Decisions made by Air Traffic Control affects the departure and arrival time of an aircraft, resulting in delay / cancellation of many flights.
    In line with current legislations, such conditions are considered to be beyond the control of the airline and do not entitle passengers for compensation. Hence I regret my inability to accede to your request for further compensation.
    Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on this occasion. Please be assured that we will never deny compensation where its awarding is applicable.
    Further, I note that your ticket from Madrid to Manchester is open and unused. Since your ticket was issued via travel agency, I request you to contact your travel agent to apply for refund of your unused ticket via BSP link.
    We trust that the explanation provided serves well on this occasion. We hope that you will find everything to your entire satisfaction the next time you choose to travel with us.
    Yours sincerely,
    Monika Basan
    Customer Care Europe
  • Tyzap
    ATC restrictions will allow them an excuse not to pay compensation, but I would suggest putting your flight details for KL1250 into a couple of online flight delay calculators such as this one...

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/calculator

It will indicate if they agree with the airlines assessment. You could also do the same for the Iberia flight. Reclaim the unused flight cost too.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Agreed. Some airlines have started to adopt what appears to be blanket coverage of all delays with either weather or ATC restrictions as they really are one of the fee ECs and sometimes difficult to display for all but the tenacious and determined.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • sootylfc
    ATC restrictions will allow them an excuse not to pay compensation, but I would suggest putting your flight details for KL1250 into a couple of online flight delay calculators such as this one...

bottonline

It will indicate if they agree with the airlines assessment. You could also do the same for the Iberia flight. Reclaim the unused flight cost too.

Good luck.
    The issues is the initial flight was delayed from 11.15 to 13.20 so the delay was less than 3 hours. However this meant the connection flight would have been missed meaning a night in Amsterdam.

By putting the details into the above site it says the delay was less than 3 hours.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2018 at 10:08PM
    But if it was delayed because of the previous flight being delayed, this "knock on" effectively trumps and negates the subsequent ATC restrictions.
    And if they are connecting flights, it's the arrival time at the FINAL destination that counts. That has been confirmed by the Gahan/Emirates case and an EU determination.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    sootylfc wrote: »
    The issues is the initial flight was delayed from 11.15 to 13.20 so the delay was less than 3 hours. However this meant the connection flight would have been missed meaning a night in Amsterdam.

By putting the details into the above site it says the delay was less than 3 hours.

It would be a difficult claim to DIY so perhaps consider NWNF.

Try giving Botts a call and explaining it to them, see if they agree that you are due 2x compensation.

Good luck.
  • sootylfc
    It would be a difficult claim to DIY so perhaps consider NWNF.

Try giving Botts a call and explaining it to them, see if they agree that you are due 2x compensation.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise i will do this tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure