Collection of wages

Hi!
I work in a restaurant and get paid a week in arrears in cash. Previously we have been able to collect our wages anytime after Monday evening (which is when the payslips come through). We have just been told that the ONLY time we can now collect our wages is between 5:30pm and 6:30pm on a Monday. If we miss this slot then we'll have to wait until the following weeks time slot.
I don't feel like I should have to come into work on my day off to collect my wages, and what about people that have other jobs and cannot make it in. This doesn't seem legal to me, does anyone know if there are any laws against this?

Thank you!

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Damski4 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I work in a restaurant and get paid a week in arrears in cash. Previously we have been able to collect our wages anytime after Monday evening (which is when the payslips come through). We have just been told that the ONLY time we can now collect our wages is between 5:30pm and 6:30pm on a Monday. If we miss this slot then we'll have to wait until the following weeks time slot.
    I don't feel like I should have to come into work on my day off to collect my wages, and what about people that have other jobs and cannot make it in. This doesn't seem legal to me, does anyone know if there are any laws against this?

Thank you!
    Can you not ask for your wages to be paid directly into your bank account?

It's the way most employers pay nowadays It is safer for both you and your employer and will ensure you get you your money on the day it should be given :)
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What does your employment contract say?
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • I don't have a contract as our hours are changed every week and our employer won't pay us into our accounts as the turnover of staff is high.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Damski4 wrote: »
    Hi!

Thank you!

Hi

see the section on Rights to pay on adviceguide for info on the rules regarding how you should be paid . Follow the link below :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/rights_to_pay.htm

You could try negotiating with your employer over this by raising a grievence (see section on how to resolve problems at work ). Perhaps a group approach would work. Also speak to the Pay and Work rights helpline on 0800 917 2368. They may be able to help

Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure