2017 - Spend less, live more

chanie
chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 22 December 2016 at 9:02AM in Debt free diaries
This is a new spending diary for 2017 for me.

I have an overdraft of a couple of thousand, which I want to reduce in 2017. Now that both children are at school, we have a bit more money to play with.

Life is just so expensive and it feels like we are constantly spending, what with family birthdays, home repairs and spending on the children.

Last year, I aimed to save £500 on purchases through 'clever' shopping - using discount codes, freebies, sales etc. I managed to save £620.46 - I have nearly £70 in cashback which I haven't included in this figure. This year, I aim to save £800.

I've started my 2017 diary early, as I was paid early this month.
Here is what I have saved so far:
Body shop - saved £20 40% off my normal skincare, plus a free body butter (which will be gifted at some point)
Cinema - saved £9.58 on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Chanie

That's a great figure. Well done! Really hope 2017 will be even better for you.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • SnowL
    SnowL Posts: 45 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Really love the title of your diary, strikes a chord with me and I shall take a leaf out of your book and try the same :) best of luck chanie X
  • chanie
    how to spend less and live more

Well, I'm going to start with spending less. I'll adopt the Kondo principle of only buying what brings me joy. I'll buy quality over quantity and will think before I spend.

Before I spend, I will do whatever I reasonably can to maximise my money. This could include voucher codes, loyalty points, cashback etc.

I will also live more. I want to enjoy life and not feel deprived, so I want to find cost effective ways to have fun with my family.
  • Good luck, will be following your journey x
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Found you! How are the home renovations going? All done? X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • chanie
    kitten home renovations are going okay. I hope yours are too.

For those who don't know, me and OH have been doing tarting up our home. Now that our youngest child is at school, we have a bit more free time and money and have done some painting and bought new furniture.

Merry Xmas everyone.
  • chanie
    edited 27 December 2016 at 8:42PM
    Merry Xmas everyone.

We had a nice one, just the four of us. Despite preparing a dinner, the children didn't eat much. Oh well. I didn't go all out in food.

I got money for Xmas. I've been eyeing up a little clutch bag, which has been reduced, but other than that, I'll put the money away until I see something I really want.

I've avoided the sales, other than a quick trip to town so Mr C could buy a couple of bits - he knew what he wanted, so we literally went to 1 shop!!!

I also exchanged a couple of unwanted gifts for items that were more suitable. I'm grateful for everything I get, but some items weren't my taste. Some shops can be funny about exchanging items without receipts, so I'm pleased I didn't have any problems.

My thoughts now turn to Xmas 2017. I like to buy in advance, but a couple of the items don't work, which is frustrating and I can't find the receipts. I think I'll focus on buying stocking fillers or items that can't be broken!!!!
  • Found you and subscribed, pleased you had a lovely Christmas.

XX
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    my sales tips

I know sales are to get rid of old stock, but I find they are a great opportunity to pick up some bargains and you can shop clever.

children's clothes I buy the next size up for my children. I buy school uniform and underwear when Sainsbury has its 25% off events and put away until needed. Sales are great for essentials like jeans, t-shirts and leggings.

keep your Xmas shopping receipts I always keep the receipts of anything I buy in Nov/Dec in case the item gets reduced. Then, I'll return the original item and rebuy at the lower price.

go prepared I will try on items I'm eyeing up before the sales, so I can be sure I'll want it, plus it means I can buy online. I go to the boxing day sales really early, so I can be in and out before it gets really busy. I wear comfortable and warm clothing and a cross body bag so I can have both hands free.

forget the rrp focus on the price it is now. Shops use loopholes to artificially inflate prices, so focus on the new price.
  • chanie
    Back at work today. There were only a couple of us in the office, so I thought the day was quite productive.

On the way home, I popped into Te5co and bought some Xmas socks. They are normally £2 each or 3 for 2, but they reduce them to £1 after Xmas, so I got 3 pairs for £2. They are my 'go to' Xmas gifts, so I always like to have a couple on standby.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure