We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Happy birthday CTC_party_
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Rummer wrote: »
    Thank you Dave and Alfie for the Sweet William info, I will not rip them out this year :o

In the tubs where I have Hyacinths what can I plant in them that will come up after them year after year? I am tired of having to replace bedding plants and am looking for an ongoing solution however I seem to drawn to plants that only last a season. My pots are filled with shades of blue, purple and white so those colours would be grand.

IHS does this so much better than me.:o I'm afraid my tubs are just one thing and at the time the hyacinths are in bloom, still not doing much!

White.....dianthus?

Purple & blue....err campanula (rockery type with unpronounceable name) and maybe pulmonaria?

Going offline shortly for a while. Not long. Stuff to do....:cool:

Happy birthday CTC :bdaycake:< Bacon cake! :D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Happy birthday CTC!
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    None of the white field poppies I sowed came up. I'm really sad about that, I had the idea that they'd settle in and sow themselves every year.:(.

I do love poppies.

Weeding is like a madman's job right now, pulling things out by the arm load. Davesnave is probably smugly thinking about better preparation avoiding these issues.....;)

Finally pulled out the gone to seed rocket today. It looked far too beautiful until today, so I did it quickly while the barrow was there. dreaming about what herbs to get next.....
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    dreaming about what herbs to get next.....

We bought borage this year and the bees love it, I however find it a massive and prickly thing and wish I had planted it away from the path :o

Our garden is being planted for bees and butterflies and to encourage wildlife where possible.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Rummer wrote: »
    We bought borage this year and the bees love it, I however find it a massive and prickly thing and wish I had planted it away from the path :o

Our garden is being planted for bees and butterflies and to encourage wildlife where possible.

I love borage. I just love it. When people talk about mecanopsis being the only blue flower I just think about borage.

We have some white borage too, but i just love borage. :)
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,720 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hippy birdy CTC.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I love borage. I just love it. When people talk about mecanopsis being the only blue flower I just think about borage.

We have some white borage too, but i just love borage. :)

I love the look of it and the bees it brings however I have brushed against it on my way past and it is not a pleasant plant to bump into. White Borage could be useful in my garden if I located it in the right place this time.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Poppies are odd things - sometimes they take two years to come after planting seeds I've found in the past.

Borage I love too, but I've killed two lots here. Could grow it where I used to live but for some reason I can't here. It makes a strange drink & the flowers look wonderful in ice cubes - borage for courage - it used to be drunk in a beer before battle in! And yes, the bees love it too.

Well went off & bought a dresser off Gumtree that I'll paint to match the kitchen unit doors. It's a Laura Ashley one & I probably shouldn't have, but it will sit on the inner gable wall - different roof heights. It will be handy for cookbooks & pretty things. Must get it out of the car 1st thing tomorrow - also found a chair at the side of the road - a directors one, but a heavy one - like teak. Very odd to find it like that. Shouldn't really treat the new car in such a Cavalier fashion................

Nettles & thistles are also good for bees & butterflies! Buddleih is grand too & pretty.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    morning all...

good find re the chair choille!!

budliah ....... I have just found amongst my stockpile of pots with random stuff in [stuffed in a corner of the drive] that I thought hadn't "made it" AND I found the WHITE budliah that LIR gave me at my last house :j im not sure if its the original or a self sown but it has 2 perfect likkle white blooms :D I seem to think it was a "piece" I stuck in the soil ....

today is overcast,mild and a slight drizzle in the breeze.
    I managed to mow some of the bottom lawn [like a field :o ] last evening.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback