Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• CBSM
    CBSM Posts: 3 Newbie
    Looking advice! Bought a dress last week, wore it once, followed washing instructions on label but darker colour ran into the white & has made it grey. Rang the store today to be told I could return it but they send the dress to quality control & I would recieve a decision about what would happen within 7-10 days. Just want to know is this normal procedure?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    CBSM wrote: »
    Looking advice! Bought a dress last week, wore it once, followed washing instructions on label but darker colour ran into the white & has made it grey. Rang the store today to be told I could return it but they send the dress to quality control & I would recieve a decision about what would happen within 7-10 days. Just want to know is this normal procedure?
    Sounds reasonable.

They need to assure themselves that it is the goods that are faulty and not something you have done wrongly.
  • jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    CBSM wrote: »

Some stores do this as standard, so yes it is normal (although not overly common). They do need to do it in a timely fashion, and 7-10 days seems reasonable in this respect.
  • CBSM
    Thanks, don't usually return things so just checking
  • CBSM
    Some stores do this as standard, so yes it is normal (although not overly common). They do need to do it in a timely fashion, and 7-10 days seems reasonable in this respect.
    Thankyou! Had never heard of this when dealing with clothes!
  • heyjoe
    heyjoe Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hello All

Just posted this on a thread and then saw this topic so hope this site can help me with a small issue I'm having.

I bought an Acer Aspire V5-571 laptop at Currys, at the end of August last year. I paid for it by credit card, and still have the receipt.

The issue with the laptop is that the battery is no longer charging, and the battery is no longer detected. If I unplug the charger the the laptop shuts down, not exactly great for something that should be portable.

I've spoken to the Currys Knowhow team who said that Acer only does warrantiesfor 6 months ( which isn't what it says in their warranty booklet), so Currys wouldn't replace the battery, and I'd need to speak to Acer.

Acer said that the warranty work needs to be done by Currys, as they have the warranty contracts for the products, so I need to go back to Currys.

All I'm looking for is to get the battery replaced-hopefully for free under warranty.

So, before I start making calls, or I drive to my nearest Currys to talk to someone face to face, I'd like to know what the knowledgeable people on this site think.

1. Should my battery be covered under warranty?
    2. If yes, should Currys or Acer do the work?
    3. Should it be done free of charge?

Thanks very much for your help

Joe
  • Hi I am new to the site and could really do with some help.

If a lease has been found to have been mis-sold is it enforceable ???
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 August 2013 at 10:29AM
    sleepyjean wrote: »
    Hi I am new to the site and could really do with some help.

If a lease has been found to have been mis-sold is it enforceable ???

This is probably not the best part of the forum in which to post this query.

If it's a lease for a rental on a property try here.

If it's a lease for a car try here

(blue text indicates links)

I suggest you give more details about what the lease is for, your obligations under it and why you think it has been mis-sold when you re-post your query. Also what penalties may be imposed for early termination.

Welcome to the forum BTW - and (sorry I cannot resist) - Cheer up, sleepyjean!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    heyjoe wrote: »

1. Should my battery be covered under warranty?
    2. If yes, should Currys or Acer do the work?
    3. Should it be done free of charge?

Thanks very much for your help

Joe

1 read the warranty and check what is covered.
    2 depends on what it says in the book - it's now over 6 months old so that makes a difference
    3 - again, depends what the warranty booklet says

Sometimes things like batteries, power cables aren't covered by warranties.

Government advice here
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Hi Valli, many thanks for your reply. What has happened is I have been mis-sold a telecoms package. I took my complaint to the Ombudsman and they have found in my favour. My problem is the Ombudsman can only award me up to £ 5000 pounds and this will not cover the 7 year lease. The Ombudsman has stated in there letter that I should be put back into the position I was in before the mis-selling took place but the telecoms company still want me liable for the lease on the equipment. Which is over £ 5300.00. I just wanted to know if i should take the Ombudsmans offer as full and final settlement or stand my ground and take the telecoms company to court. I feel that now I have proof of the mis-selling the lease should be null and void???. The Ombudsman has stated that the paperwork is dubious and my signature has been scanned onto documents on dates that I did not see the telecoms sales rep ( who by the way they say has been fired over this). I need to give the Ombudsman my desicion by the end of the day. I will be nearly £ 2000 out of pocket without the hours I have spent writing to the 3 companies involved to get to this point.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback