£25 hobbs gift card with Red magazine

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    OMG!!!!

I love the tops I've had so far and loved the experience I had in store when I was invited back to come and see the new stock by the lovely sales staff (who encouraged me to buy more vouchers!)

They are in quite a difficult position as so many of their own staff seem to have encouraged customers to buy more magazines in order to get more free items.
  • *manda*
    *manda* Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    I think this is appalling. I have 3 to use, and as I don't have a store near me had been planning weekends where we're elsewhere to use them. I never would have bought the mag otherwise- it's rubbish! Also will never use the shop now as I think it's just moving the goalposts. They should bite the bullet, take the "loss" and learn a lesson. I'm sure they're quaking in their boots about losing my trade- but still, it's the principle. Most people would be buying tops as most women I'd say have more tops in their wardrobe than any other item. They clearly had restrictions on the giftcard- if it wasn't listed when printed, then they shouldn't just be allowed to add it on.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Hobbs CS Contact form is here:

http://www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1033
  • lydias
    lydias Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks Annie - have emaiiled them

A huge thank you to all who post the comps and deals that make life so much fun!
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lydias wrote: »
    Thanks Annie - have emaiiled them
    Did you just complain or ask them why they had changed their T&C's. I will contact them but just wondered the best way to go about it.
  • luce181
    luce181 Posts: 408 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2011 at 10:11PM
    I've e-mailed too, and said that they will be losing custom from me :p

I don't understand why they haven't just put a minimum spend, say £35, then at least they would be making sales.

I can understand them not wanting to 'give' their stock away, for example the items which were £25 or less, but I was looking at tops which were £35-39 so they would have had a new customer!
    Addicted to MSE, I can't resist a bargain ;)
  • lydias
    lydias Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    shopndrop wrote: »
    Did you just complain or ask them why they had changed their T&C's. I will contact them but just wondered the best way to go about it.

I did both and asked that they refund my daughter's Red magazine purchase as she only bought it for the card :)

A huge thank you to all who post the comps and deals that make life so much fun!
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2011 at 10:31PM
    OK, thanks for comments. will send an e mail now.
    Have e mailed them now, will await a response.
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    Hi all,

We're going to take a look at this and we'll come back and update you here.

Thanks

MSE Archna

Thanks. :)

I've just emailed Hobbs, here's what I wrote (would have been a LOT longer but only 1,000 characters allowed):

I recently visited my local Hobbs store to enquire about the £25 gift card in this month's Red. The assistant confirmed that it could be used instore with no minimum spend (excluding accessories etc). She also said that she had been told that it was one card per transaction (NOT per customer) and encouraged me to buy several magazines to use the cards.

I bought 4 copies of Red and had intended to buy a few tops for work, in the £25-£39 price range. I heard today that you are not accepting the cards on tops any more, is this true? If so, I would be very disappointed. Changing the terms of an offer after several weeks is completely unacceptable and would be a public relations disaster in my opinion.
    If the terms have been changed, I will be making a complaint to Red, to the websites which have been encouraged to publicise this offer, such as moneysavingexpert.com, to Consumer Direct and to BBC Watchdog.

Get emailing ladies!!!
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • Pacha
    Pacha Posts: 296 Forumite
    luce181 wrote: »
    I've e-mailed too, and said that they will be losing custom from me :p

I don't understand why they haven't just put a minimum spend, say £35, then at least they would be making sales.

I can understand them not wanting to 'give' their stock away, for example the items which were £25 or less, but I was looking at tops which were £35-39 so they would have had a new customer!

I agree, they did the promotion to encourage new customer's, but they should have put a lot more thought 'into' it, as it's been a not nice experience for many, plus also all the people who don't even know about this board, must be 1000's of very unhappy potential Hobb's customer's out there,
    A minimum spend of £35 would have been a great idea, plus letting us use it on anything in the store, they would still be getting sale's,and if their staff treated everyone the way they should, they would have gained a lot more customer's which was surely the idea in the first place .
    let's hope Hobb's do the right thing, and stick to what they offered us.
    :wave:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport