Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is phrased as a service charge, which is lawful.

Only if it equally applies to all other payment methods. If its only being applied to some payment methods then its not allowed - regardless of what they call it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • KentScrapper
    Options
    Not certain where I stand but have a sewing machine which was returned as faulty and was eventually given a replacement. However the replacement has a fault in that the needle threader does not work. I thought it was mead never used a machine with one before but I asked someone to show me and been told it’s not me but a fault in the alignment on the machine. I called manufacturer who referred me back to the company who sold it as the retailer (online) gives a 15 year guarantee. However on contacting them they initially tried to refer me back to the manufacturer. Advised that had spoken to them and they referred me back to retailer upon which the man on phone stated that it was covered but they would not pay to have it collected from me and deliver it back! Is this correct that I have to pay this?
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    Are you claiming under warranty or statutory rights? Sounds like the former which can have reasonable terms and conditions attached.

Your statutory rights depends on when you bought it and how but generally either they collect or you return it but they bear the cost.

When did you buy?
    How did you buy (online, phone, store?)
  • jackie67
    Options
    Hi, i have received a parcel from ace catalogue that i did not order, i have used their service earlier in the year but i have not ordered this item. i have queried this with them but i am still waiting to hear back. My concern is they will say i have to return and pay the cost to return plus charge me for delivery as well. I didnt even receive a e mail confirming a order had been placed surely that proves no order was placed by myself. I really stressed out by all this
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jackie67 wrote: »
    Hi, i have received a parcel from ace catalogue that i did not order, i have used their service earlier in the year but i have not ordered this item. i have queried this with them but i am still waiting to hear back. My concern is they will say i have to return and pay the cost to return plus charge me for delivery as well. I didnt even receive a e mail confirming a order had been placed surely that proves no order was placed by myself. I really stressed out by all this

What was the item? Just a friend of mine received a unsolicited order from them last year. She'd never used them before and the order received was very bad quality greeting cards. She contacted ace, they assured her it would be dealt with etc....but yet every month she kept receiving demands from them for money for the item. It was only finally resolved after she disputed the entry on her credit report, which seemed to motivate ace into action.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Cher_Massey
    Options
    Hi i bought a mattress a year ago which was on a managers special for £500 and it came with a 10 year guarantee.
    Mattress was originally £1000.
    Mattress is now discontinued but it’s faulty (latex has sunk).
    How much refund do I get?
    Do I get £500 or the £1000?
    I’m wanting to get a replacement.
    Thank you
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi i bought a mattress a year ago which was on a managers special for £500 and it came with a 10 year guarantee.
    Mattress is now discontinued but it's faulty (latex has sunk).
    I'm wanting to get a replacement.
    Thank you

If they have offered a full refund (you'd need to check the terms of the warranty), then you are only entitled to what you paid, not more.

If it is no longer made, then it will be almost impossible for them to replace it.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mattress is now discontinued but it’s faulty (latex has sunk).
    I’m wanting to get a replacement.
    Thank you

You definitely won't get a £1000 refund and after a year will be unlikely to get a £500 refund. Best case they just accept your word hat it is faulty and give a partial refund with not much deducted, worst case they may require you to prove an inherent fault and will give a refund with a substantial deduction for the use you've had of it.
  • dstar86
    dstar86 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up for a credit agreement through Penicuik for some windows the other night, however having looked more deeply into them I have decided to cancel the order. I have 7 days to cancel the order with them and have emailed them requesting a cancellation, as is stated in their documentation they left with me. I have 14 days to cancel the credit agreement and I have done that as well.

However when the sales advisor came out, she charged me a £299 "admin" fee, which was taken off my credit card. I've scoured the paperwork and nowhere does it state that this is non-refundable, and she didn't state that either to me. Am I within my rights to ask for this back too as I don't want to proceed with the order? And if so, how should I request this be returned? I was thinking of writing to Penicuik's head office.
  • Tiffg87
    Tiffg87 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I!!!8217;m having problems with a kitchen company giving us a quote and then refusing to honour it once the competitor sale ended. We have been emailing and calling to get them to resolve the problem but no one has done anything so we keep calling and emailing etc
    Basically the store manager lost it with me today, she was very aggressive on the phone, accused me of harassment, called me a liar and said she would not speak with me again, she would not sell me a kitchen and I!!!8217;m banned from her store.
    Can she do this? She is a store manager not a director or company owner
    Also is complaining classed as harassment?
    We!!!8217;re only repeatedly contacting them because they haven!!!8217;t resolved the issue

Just for clarification I was very calm on the phone I did not raise my voice, use bad language so her only defender for her behaviour is I!!!8217;ve irritated her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback