Parcel stuck in local delivery office for 2 days

Options
Cazz1993
Cazz1993 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 7 March 2018 at 4:51PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I ordered an item online using the 48 hour signed for delivery with Royal Mail. Yesterday on the tracking page it said 'Your Item was received by (my local delivery office) on 2018-03-06 and is now due for delivery today. We normally expect to deliver your items to your address between 7:35am - 11:35am.'

It never arrived yesterday. I checked again a few times today and it's still saying the same message. The funny thing is that I live a 5 minute WALK from the delivery office, so surely it should have arrived by now? I can't go and collect it because I don't have one of those cards as they never attempted to deliver it.

I watched a documentary recently about the Royal Mail, and you saw posties pushing parcels to the side and forgetting about them, and I'm worried that's happened to mine.

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    some parts of the UK had a little snow recently ;) perhaps they are behind as a result of this.
  • gazebo
    gazebo Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you take your mobile device to the delivery office with the tracking number and show ID with address verification, you may be able to collect it.

Numerous offices are currently unable to clear their backlogs following the recent snow.
  • Cazz1993
    Options
    Yes, I understand that, but what's the point in 'due for delivery today' instead of being truthful and saying something like "due to recent weather conditions, your item might be delayed"
  • gazebo
    gazebo Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's an automated message sent when it's scanned into your delivery office - the message probably came from the people you ordered the item from, so your annoyance could be directed to them.

Your local delivery office could and perhaps should have scanned it as delivery not attempted. You would have had a further message telling you it was not out for delivery. Please understand they are probably a little snowed under right now
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2018 at 1:23PM
    Options
    Cazz1993 wrote: »
    Yes, I understand that, but what's the point in 'due for delivery today' instead of being truthful and saying something like "due to recent weather conditions, your item might be delayed"

because the system is designed for standard scenarios.
    The text you got is auto generated when the DO scans the item as recived at the office.
    They have to scan the item to 'stop the clock' from the network.

A notification like the daily one on RMs site?

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12556/~/service-update

Thursday 8 March 2018
    Despite fresh snow this morning in parts of North Wales and the North of England, Royal Mail services have returned to normal across almost all of the UK, following the recent adverse weather. Deliveries and collections should be made in almost all areas today, with the exception of just a few, more rural areas, where access remains difficult; these include some central parts of Scotland, south eastern parts of Wales, rural South West England and a small number of areas in South East England. In these areas we are attempting to deliver and collect mail wherever it is safe for us to do so. Across the rest of the country we!!!8217;re making great progress in clearing all main on hand in our network and expect to have this completed by the end of the week.

We're sorry for the continued disruption to mail deliveries and collections experienced by some of our customers, as a result of the recent severe weather conditions. We're making good progress in our efforts to recover services as quickly as possible in all areas.
    im curious what was the documentry you watched with posties pushing parcels?
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    A notification like the daily one on RMs site?

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12556/~/service-update

Despite fresh snow this morning in parts of North Wales and the North of England, Royal Mail services have returned to normal across almost all of the UK, following the recent adverse weather. Deliveries and collections should be made in almost all areas today, with the exception of just a few, more rural areas, where access remains difficult; these include some central parts of Scotland, south eastern parts of Wales, rural South West England and a small number of areas in South East England. In these areas we are attempting to deliver and collect mail wherever it is safe for us to do so. Across the rest of the country we’re making great progress in clearing all main on hand in our network and expect to have this completed by the end of the week.

That notification is an embarassment.
    Services have returned to normal
    There's still a backlog of main (sic) to be delivered, so they haven't returned to normal at all.
  • custardy
    Options
    That notification is an embarassment.
    Services have returned to normal
    There's still a backlog of main (sic) to be delivered, so they haven't returned to normal at all.

Not really. it means collections & deliveries (in the main)are in place.
    You could say the same for a busy week in RM. They dont clear the network daily
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I went to my local DO last night clutching my red card to pick up a package. There were 3 redshirts on duty (usually 2) and I heard one explaining "If the card was left today, we may not have tracked the item back in yet and we won't be able to find it because we've got a backlog of 3000 behind here..." Sounds like they are doing the best they can.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been to the local delivery office twice this week & still my parcel hasn't been scanned back in after delivery was attempted on Monday. I was told they hope to have cleared the backlog by Saturday as lots of staff are working overtime on trying to catch up.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • custardy
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    I've been to the local delivery office twice this week & still my parcel hasn't been scanned back in after delivery was attempted on Monday. I was told they hope to have cleared the backlog by Saturday as lots of staff are working overtime on trying to catch up.

Its really all they can do in deliveries.Mail centres have access to agency workers,its not really viable for deliveries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure