E.oN Removing Tariff Discounts from its SVTs

Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 2 March 2018 at 4:47PM in Energy
While E.ON is not increasing the unit price of electricity and gas, it is removing £30 worth of dual fuel and paperless discounts for customers on standard variable tariffs, meaning they will see a rise of 2.6% to a typical annual bill of £1,153 from 19 April.

The backdoor approach appeared designed to evade political flak, but a Whitehall source slammed the move as: !!!8220;another example of the big six unfairly attacking customers on standard variable tariffs.!!!8221;

E.ON said its changes would: !!!8220;make it simpler and easier for customers to understand our tariffs and compare them with other suppliers in the market!!!8221;.

Customers who pay by cheque and cash rather than direct debit will be hit harder, as the company has upped its standing charge for such payments by £20 for dual fuel households. E.ON said it had written to all the customers affected by the changes.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/02/eon-hikes-energy-bills-on-coldest-day-of-the-year

Comments

• fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 March 2018 at 5:41PM
    E.on have massively increased the unit price of electricity and gas today, introducing new tariffs.

I was half thinking of forward switching to Go online v8 today, which was only £40 pa more expensive than my current tariff. It was a competitive tariff for me, at any rate.

They've replaced it with Go online v9 which is £140 pa more expensive.

They sneaked those in, too?

I knew, when the website was down this morning, I was too late.

Hopefully the prices will fall again by the summer.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hengus wrote: »
    While E.ON is not increasing the unit price of electricity and gas, it is removing £30 worth of dual fuel and paperless discounts for customers on standard variable tariffs, meaning they will see a rise of 2.6% to a typical annual bill of £1,153 from 19 April.

The backdoor approach appeared designed to evade political flak, but a Whitehall source slammed the move as: !!!8220;another example of the big six unfairly attacking customers on standard variable tariffs.!!!8221;

E.ON said its changes would: !!!8220;make it simpler and easier for customers to understand our tariffs and compare them with other suppliers in the market!!!8221;.

Customers who pay by cheque and cash rather than direct debit will be hit harder, as the company has upped its standing charge for such payments by £20 for dual fuel households. E.ON said it had written to all the customers affected by the changes.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/02/eon-hikes-energy-bills-on-coldest-day-of-the-year

I can confirm this Hengus. We've reviewed the structure of our tariffs and made changes to our discounts and daily standing charges. We've made no changes, though, to our unit rates.

From yesterday, customers switching to our tariffs will no longer receive a discount for having both their electricity and gas with us or a paperless billing discount. Customers on our standard variable tariffs (SVT), Energy Plan and Energy Plan Assist, will stop receiving this discount from 19 April 18.

Also, customers paying by any other means than a Monthly Direct Debit will see daily standing charges go up by about £10 per fuel per year. Again, for customers on our SVTs, this will start from 19 April 18. There are no changes to the daily standing charges for customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit.

Customers currently on Fixed Tariffs won't see any changes until the end of their term.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    E.on have massively increased the unit price of electricity and gas today, introducing new tariffs.

I was half thinking of forward switching to Go online v8 today, which was only £40 pa more expensive than my current tariff. It was a competitive tariff for me, at any rate.

Hello fredandwilma and nice to hear from you. Hope you're keeping well.

We've not increased our unit rates but reviewed our discounts and daily standing charges on existing tariffs as above. Go Online 9 is a brand new tariff only released today. There are other new tariffs as well and, as you say, these can be seen on our website.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Increasing via the back door then!
  • nicobrum
    nicobrum Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

I think the change from v8 to v9 was Wednesday or yesterday as noticed it yesterday.

That said, for me in Midlands Distribution Region there was a slight drop in unit price costs for both fuels but then v8 was rather expensive. Hasn't been a decent fixed tariff now the introduction of the GoOnline tariffs in this region. I'm on v13 until the end of October having post dated a change of tariff in September.

Unfortunately however well intentioned political interference is always going to cost us all more. Just because some people can't be bothered to shop about, the rest of us will no doubt now suffer. I've sympathy for those without internet access or on pre-payment meters, but some people just can't be bothered ...
  • fredandwilma
    Hello fredandwilma and nice to hear from you. Hope you're keeping well.

We've not increased our unit rates but reviewed our discounts and daily standing charges on existing tariffs as above. Go Online 9 is a brand new tariff only released today. There are other new tariffs as well and, as you say, these can be seen on our website.

Malc

You've got your corporate speak hat on, Malc _party_ :D

You've (not you personally) increased unit rates by updating existing tariffs. Yesterday Go Online 8, today Go Online 9. :rotfl:

However, it's not all as bad as the hype would suggest?

I've posted a reply here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73964482&posted=1#post73964482

It's been a bad winter, health wise.

Hope you are on the mend?

f&w :wave:

Carpe diem
  • fredandwilma
    nicobrum wrote: »
    I think the change from v8 to v9 was Wednesday or yesterday as noticed it yesterday.

That said, for me in Midlands Distribution Region there was a slight drop in unit price costs for both fuels but then v8 was rather expensive. Hasn't been a decent fixed tariff now the introduction of the GoOnline tariffs in this region. I'm on v13 until the end of October having post dated a change of tariff in September.

Unfortunately however well intentioned political interference is always going to cost us all more. Just because some people can't be bothered to shop about, the rest of us will no doubt now suffer. I've sympathy for those without internet access or on pre-payment meters, but some people just can't be bothered ...

It just goes to show the difference in regional variations?

I hadn't seen anything that cheap for almost two years.

I snoozed and lost but then i still have 5 months left on my current tariff, which was a good enough reason to snooze. It was only available for 14 days.

Carpe diem
    nicobrum wrote: »

We released Go Online v9 last Thursday, 1 March 18 nicobrum.

Malc
    You've got your corporate speak hat on, Malc _party_ :D

You've (not you personally) increased unit rates by updating existing tariffs. Yesterday Go Online 8, today Go Online 9. :rotfl:

However, it's not all as bad as the hype would suggest?

I've posted a reply here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73964482&posted=1#post73964482

It's been a bad winter, health wise.

Hope you are on the mend?

f&w :wave:

You're not wrong corporate-wise f&w. I've posted a reply on the other thread you link to above. Just to add, we release new tariffs and different versions of existing tariffs all the time. The tariffs we announced last Thursday are the latest round of changes.

I'm doing okay thanks f&w. This recent cold weather is finding its way into the old joints a bit more than usual but, hey-ho, there are great many more worse off than me. I certainly don't like the snow :snow_grin As you know, I've had difficulty staying upright recently and the snow/ice doesn't help.

Hope you're starting to feel a little better soon. :)

Malc
  • My letter re changing to Eon go online 1 year v8 was written on 22 Feb but not received by me until 1 March when I went online to switch only to find v9 at a much higher price. I phoned and complained to no avail so planned to switch to British Gas nearer the end of my current offer. Anyway, today I logged in to find v9 has been replaced by v10 which is slightly dearer than 8 but cheaper than my current tariff. Maye quite a lot of people either complained or switched as it was very annoying to be givin no time to take advantage of a letter they themselves sent out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure