PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with situation

Options
Things.Past
Things.Past Posts: 41 Forumite
edited 17 June 2017 at 9:15PM in House buying, renting & selling
My son has recently rented a property via a housing association. He lives there with his partner and now new born baby.

They have now been confronted with two bees nests (not honey bees). Both at the front of the property, one to the left and one to the right. Entering the house is a bit of a duck and dive and even harder getting the new born in as well... They cannot open either front windows as the nests are just above both front windows.

I feel they are in a dangerous situation and would ask the question who is responsible for the removal of these nests..
Any advice please..

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    They should ring the housing association.

Bumblebees aren't dangerous though, they rarely sting, the family shouldn't have a problem going in and out as normal.

Lots of people plant flowers trying to attract bees, they're endangered you know!
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As bees are protected by Law, they may find that the HA will not be able to deal with them. My advice is to contact a local bee keeper as they may well be interested in a free swarm of bees to fill an empty hive.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    I've just read something on a bumblebee site that says the bees you see buzzing around the nest are usually male bees, and they can't sting anyway, only the females can.

Might put their minds at ease.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    talk about unnecessary use of sensationalist language

if they are not honey bees (how do you know?) why is it a "dangerous situation"?

if it is so "dangerous" why is your son not dealing with the situation himself as a matter of urgency? Just because he rents does not mean everything in his life is the responsibility of other people.
  • Glbooth3
    Glbooth3 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    We've got a bees nest to back of house. Just above bathroom window, the next house on has too, has been there the past 5 years I've lived her, never see any in the house and I always have windows open, my boys bedroom and bathroom being on the back. Bees rarely sting anyway and plenty of times I've helped a few tired ones with sugar water
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you get the idea.... basically it is not a dangerous situation, it's a case of paranoia.

Chill out! If you're that worried

a) get a piece of muslin and drape it over the pram for a few seconds as you go in/out to prevent bees getting in the pram.

b) buy some antihistamine cream to keep in the bathroom (or by the door!) for the unlikely event of a sting

Bees die if they sting, so they will only do so if threatened. Don't wave your arms at them. Leave them alone and they'll do likewise. They are not suicidal!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    As bees are protected by Law, they may find that the HA will not be able to deal with them. My advice is to contact a local bee keeper as they may well be interested in a free swarm of bees to fill an empty hive.

Most beekeepers keep honey bees not bumble bees, usually a local beekeeper will help to remove a swarm but they only remove honey bees free for bumble bees they charge as they will not keep the bees just relocate them to a suitable area.

If they are bumble bees they only stay for a few weeks before they move on.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they are nesting in the wall there is also a possibility they are mason bees.

If so the OP's son can consider himself even more fortunate that living creatures - with huge value to the environment their grandchild will grow up in - want to share living space with the son's family :)

Leave them in peace and they will get on with their own lives. (The bees that is)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Could bee worse....

I was just reading this article yesterday - seems this is the time of year for it, and they should be gone shortly. I agree with what other posters have said - drape a muslin cloth over baby for now and contact your local beekeepers association for help.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Dangerous?

Bee serious now...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income