Client won't pay fee fairly due, what can be done?

Hi,

We are a small biz and are having issues with a client that won't pay the full amount due. We are a professional design company. We wrote in advance to notify the client of an increased fee that would be due for further work they had requested. They were annoyed by this and terminated all of our services. They did this without the chance to discuss the situation and without explanation. We had however already undertaken several days of design work, under our original appointment.

They have offered to pay us around 20% of what we believe is due, in fair payment for the work we have done.
What do we do? Who can judge this fairly and how do we get paid fairly for the time we have spent on this?
Is there a way to resolve this quickly and with minimal disruption to ourselves? We'd like to focus on more positive work and not have to spend time chasing this debt!

Thanks in advance,

T23

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2017 at 10:09AM
    tekton23 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are a small biz and are having issues with a client that won't pay the full amount due. We are a professional design company. We wrote in advance to notify the client of an increased fee that would be due for further work they had requested. They were annoyed by this and terminated all of our services. They did this without the chance to discuss the situation and without explanation. We had however already undertaken several days of design work, under our original appointment.

They have offered to pay us around 20% of what we believe is due, in fair payment for the work we have done.
    What do we do? Who can judge this fairly and how do we get paid fairly for the time we have spent on this?
    Is there a way to resolve this quickly and with minimal disruption to ourselves? We'd like to focus on more positive work and not have to spend time chasing this debt!

Thanks in advance,

T23
    It goes with the territory i am afraid, i am in the IT and hosting business and get issues like this all the time, prices increase you inform clients and you get some in a stroppy mood. i know its not good but maybe ask them to pay 30% then you block them and then file a report on fraudrecord
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's in your original contract with them about termination and paying for work already done and adding 'extras' to the contract?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    It goes with the territory i am afraid, i am in the IT and hosting business and get issues like this all the time, prices increase you inform clients and you get some in a stroppy mood. i know its not good but maybe ask them to pay 30% then you block them and they file a report on fraudrecord

Looks like a site that could be bordering on illegal.

You can't create blacklists of customers that may stop the customer doing business, especially if the customer isn't aware they are included on the database and doesn't have the right to request removal of the information.
    💙💛 💔
  • angryparcel
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    Looks like a site that could be bordering on illegal.

You can't create blacklists of customers that may stop the customer doing business, especially if the customer isn't aware they are included on the database and doesn't have the right to request removal of the information.
    you can block them from ordering or using your own website.
    Fraudrecord is a legal recognised site were you can check of those you have fraudulently signed up to web hosting and web design services

https://www.fraudrecord.com/
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Go back to your contracts. If it's not covered in your contracts, work out what is outstanding and invoice for it. They can refuse to pay. You can then take them to court.

Courts are who gets to decide what's fair.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    you can block them from ordering or using your own website.
    Fraudrecord is a legal recognised site were you can check of those you have fraudulently signed up to web hosting and web design services

https://www.fraudrecord.com/

It's regulated in Turkey, there's no ICO number and there are people on other sites advising others to hide the existence of the site. I note from the terms of the website, there is a transfer of information outside of the EEA.

It seems the sole purpose of the site is to safeguard companies that don't have the interests of the public at heart, by allowing any member the ability to 'blacklist' a customer without appropriate safeguards around how that data is processed, with no fair right of appeal. This could damage the interests of consumers and small businesses.

I have therefore reported the matter to the ICO, as I feel consumers may not be treated fairly and it's a matter within their remit. Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.
    💙💛 💔
  • angryparcel
    It's regulated in Turkey, there's no ICO number and there are people on other sites advising others to hide the existence of the site. I note from the terms of the website, there is a transfer of information outside of the EEA.

It seems the sole purpose of the site is to safeguard companies that don't have the interests of the public at heart, by allowing any member the ability to 'blacklist' a customer without appropriate safeguards around how that data is processed, with no fair right of appeal. This could damage the interests of consumers and small businesses.

I have therefore reported the matter to the ICO, as I feel consumers may not be treated fairly and it's a matter within their remit. Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.

fraudrecord does not blacklist anyone, if a client does not pay you or fraudulently signs up for your services then you can add their details to their database so other can check before accepting orders from these fraudsters.
    In the hosting and web design business it is one of the major fraud prevention resources.
  • angryparcel
    edited 15 June 2017 at 8:21PM
    with no fair right of appeal. T
    Anyone can be removed
    https://www.fraudrecord.com/removal-process/

ICO wont do anything as the Data Protection Act is only for UK businesses
  • angryparcel

This is the point behind fraudrecord
    https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=a8d93c2251d621c5
    would you want this person as a customer and ordering your products, so they can spam people and set up phishing websites
    This is the details they tried to sign up to my business with ( clearly false)
    First Name Ganna
    Last Name Sovgut
    Company Name DMASTERPIECE
    Email Address DM@GMAIL.COM
    Address 1 JL SYNTAX ERROR
    Address 2 JL SYNTAX ERROR
    City DM
    State/Region Arizona
    Postcode 404404
    Country US - United States
    Phone Number 086969696969
  • tekton23
    tekton23 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for your replies! In our contract, either party can terminate. If the client terminates then we are due any fees 'properly due'. We estimate this at about 60 hours work, the client says this is actually around 10 hours. We disagree with that and don't think they can fairly judge this. Should we just invoice, or go to court or a debt collector or other options?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure