The Stoptober 2014 Challenge - How much will you save?

Options

Comments

• neverdespairgirl
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    ...and nicotine itself is no more harmful to humans than caffiene, and can help short-term cognitive functions and stave off early-onset Alzheimer's
    GunJack wrote: »
    nicotine delivered by e-cig is less addictive than tobacco, as it hasn't had all the additives that fags have got that make it more potent. Also, nic itself is only as harmful as caffiene. So don't stress about vaping, it really does work to get off the fags....

question - do you drink any alcohol? That's way more harmful to you than nicotine, just to put it into perspective...

I don't think you should be stating things like that as bald "facts".

Smoking is undoubtedly harmful, and there are lots of things in cigarettes which are very bad for you.

But one of them is nicotine. From everything I've read which is anywhere near balanced (not from a company that makes / sell e-cigs or NRTs, etc) nicotine is, in itself, a toxic substance.

Vaping is less harmful than smoking, but it is in absolutely no way "safe" or known to be safe. The evidence suggests that nicotine in and of itself is carcinogenic and toxic. Promoting vaping as safe is untrue and damaging. It's harm reduction, not harm removal, in comparison to smoking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21210228

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22952803

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3622363/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22764249

I gave up smoking when I got pregnant last year, and did it via cold turkey. The disadvantage of using NRTs, vaping, etc is that you are continuing to be an active nicotine addict, just changing delivery modes.

Good luck to you all giving up smoking. It's hard, but you can do it.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Woodster76
    Options
    Flutterby and Youth Leader I've been feeling down too. Not sure if it's giving up smoking or the days are getting shorter. I've read somewhere that we could be in mourning as we're missing smoking. It will get better.
    16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB
  • jayjay21
    jayjay21 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options

I gave up smoking when I got pregnant last year, and did it via cold turkey. The disadvantage of using NRTs, vaping, etc is that you are continuing to be an active nicotine addict, just changing delivery modes.

Good luck to you all giving up smoking. It's hard, but you can do it.

I agree, but moving onto something like a vape or patches is going to be 10x better for any persons health, with the benefit of making it easier of quitting nicotine all together.

Smoking is half addiction and half habit, most people will smoke at fixed periods of the day, deal with the habit yourself, let the NRT take care of the addiction and you're on a road to recovery.

Thanks for the support but I don't think it is hugely beneficial for to be speaking about everyone and their hard work on giving up tobacco with words like 'disadvantage', it's negative, if people want to quit nicotine later on, they can. I don't feel the need to knock some of us down for using NRT(I'm not even doing so!).
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    I'm not knocking anyone down. Any way to stop smoking is better than none, and harm reduction is very important. I think though it's very important indeed not to tell people that nicotine's no worse than caffeine.

FWIW, my view is that giving up cold turkey is more effective than using NRT and so forth. It's easier (my opinion) as well as having other advantages.

Different things work for different people, of course!
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    jayjay21 wrote: »
    Smoking is half addiction and half habit, most people will smoke at fixed periods of the day, deal with the habit yourself, let the NRT take care of the addiction and you're on a road to recovery.

Not necessarily. Personally, I think NRTs and so forth are a red herring, that it's easier to give up cold turkey than to switch nicotine delivery systems. There's been no proper double blind testing of NRTs (and, of course, it's impossible to do proper double blind testing, as smokers know if they are getting nicotine or not).

I think it's very important to counter false messages about nicotine being no worse than caffeine.

Giving up smoking is very, very hard. Different things work for different people. Any cigarette not smoked is fab!

One of the things that scared me most giving up smoking was how much "not-smoking" dominated my life. Fortunately that fades - when I saw the Stoptober forum header thing, that was the first time I'd thought about smoking and me together for ages. I'm not now a deliberately not-smoking person, I just don't smoke.

That isn't supposed to sound at all smug - it's a universal experience. The scary "I will always think about smoking every day" is a really common feeling, and it does go away.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    To end the night on a disgusting note - I'm 57 now - when I was 42 I had to have an internal surgical procedure - and they told me they had found nicotine in my biopsy. I was completely disgusted at the time as I'm sure you are! I think we all know nicotine is harmful.

I hope to reduce my 'vapour' strength gradually to zero in my own time, but after 40 years of puffing away whenever possible cold turkey would just find me at the all night garage again as has happened in the past. Night everyone, Day 8 tomorrow! :)
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    I hope to reduce my 'vapour' strength gradually to zero in my own time, but after 40 years of puffing away whenever possible cold turkey would just find me at the all night garage again as has happened in the past. Night everyone, Day 8 tomorrow! :)

You're doing just great. :T

In the early days I feel the most important thing is just to stop yourself from smoking and I agree people just should do whatever they feel comfortable with and by whatever means works for them. The dangers of smoking cigarettes far outweigh all other replacements and most of us would happily give up the cigs and deal with any fallout from that one step at a time. I don't think anyone should be knocked for trying any of the tools and aids that are available to them.

Like many people I replaced some of my smoking with extra eating (not advisable of course) but who cares, I was more than happy to accept that I would put on weight and eat my way out of the smoking habit if needs be - I am still living with that decision and working on the extra weight but I don't regret it for one minute. I just needed to have the fags gone from my life and was happy to accept that there might be other consequences to be dealt with further down the track.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • Former_MSE_Megan
    Options
    Day 8 everyone! :) Well done for making it through week one, now let's focus on the next challenge - making it to day 10! Have you noticed any other improvements since you stopped smoking? (Apart from a fatter wallet, of course :P)

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    neverdespairgirl - those were taken from various reports by leading researchers in the fields of both nicotine and e-cig research... try looking for Prof. Peter Hajeck, Dr Constantinos Farsilinos and others...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Flutterby83
    Options
    I'm planning on doing that room youth leader, I will gradually go down to zero (I'm using 18mg at the moment) but there's no rush, just getting the fags out my life is the initial goal! Thank you for the advice GlynD :)
    I'm surprised I've lasted a week, to be honest, I was one of those people that everyone thought would never give up as I've done it before and always gone back to smoking! This thread has helped enormously as by the time I've read through and typed, the craving has passed....
    Well done to everyone, let's keep going x
    Current Debt - Credit Card £3231.14; Hire Purchase £4,555; Catalogue £562.60, Loan £4754.88
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure