Rock Bottom

Comments

• It may well have to be a DMP which means you opening a basic bank account somewhere not connected with your debts but at least this means no more credit and hopefully freezing of interest. It will show on your credit record though so this may affect your chance of remortgaging on to a fixed rate deal so you need to tell your partner.

If you are able to make minimum payments within budget then it is just a matter of ploughing on until the debts start to reduce but on those interest rates this may take forever. Do you need the car as selling this and getting rid of the car costs may help as the insurance and tax looks high to me let alone maintenance which you have not allowed for.

A second job or upping your hours is another option to bring in more income. You can try writing to your creditors asking them to freeze interest due to financial difficulties.

The main thing you should do though is to stop using credit and your overdraft. Recent changes to overdraft fees structure in most banks mean that these have become much more expensive. They can also be withdrawn at any time and yours is high. I think at that level of debt which must be almost twice your annual income it is unrealistic to expect your partner not to find out. Also if you were on maternity leave did you not discuss finances as presumably this was his child too? I am also puzzled as to why you are paying mobile phone contracts for a young child especially expensive ones like £65 for 2? We pay £30 for our two mobiles. My husband has a sim only iPhone (4 years old now) £11 per month and I have a year old Samsung phone on £19 per month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I have been knocking round here for years, I had a huge debt of about 25 thousand pounds when I started here.

It was an overhang from my youth and then a very difficult time.

I took out a loan to pay off the credit cards and overdraft. It is called consolidation and can be frowned upon as they do give you a false sense of security and ultimately mean nothing changes apart from getting into more debt.

I pushed myself to pay mine back purely because of the friends I made here and luckily I got very stubborn, also this site became part of my daily life. Like minded people help. It took awhile but I did it.

I currently have about 1500 on a CC but was debt free for about 5 years and do have savings. I still have issues but I am in a much better place now.

I think you have the following options

1. Tell your partner and see it they will help you (which they probably will).
    2. Continue to pay off at the current rate.
    3. take out a bank loan to pay off the debts and then focus on paying that back - one payment of say 300 pounds? will be better to manage.

If you are still making all the payments (good) then your credit rating will be ok. Also if you get a loan with the Halif£x there is a type of loan that you can make over payments with which is VERY motivating!

The trick is not let it control you. You can pay it back and you will pay it back.

Have faith

XXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Thanks all. My credit rating isn't good at the moment despite meeting all minimum payments for now. It is purely the overdraft charges that have made me panic as I can't possibly cope with those.

Ideally I'd like a loan so I could make one payment but I wouldn't be accepted for one - I have tried the eligibility checkers. It not able to even transfer to a 0% at the moment.

The phone is £35 for mine and £20 for an iPad plan for my older son, it occasionally goes over data so allowing for that. Both contracts end at same time around a year from now.

The car is really joint so I can't sell that without admitting the rest and we need the car. The insurance was a lot cheaper last year as I paid annually but I wasn't able to this year. I have stopped spending on all cards though so that is a plus for this month.
  • How long did it take for you to pay your debt buffy? Were you able to get a £25k loan to cover it all?
  • Overmyhead wrote: »
    How long did it take for you to pay your debt buffy? Were you able to get a £25k loan to cover it all?

I joined this site in 2007, in September. I became debt free on the 24th June 2011.

That was the Egg loan and the 0% on the Barclay card.

The loan was 24240 and then I had "some" debt on the Barclay card (between 1000 and 3000 pounds I think).

Personally I think Overdrafts are the work of the devil. Can you get a small loan to pay it off? Any available cash advances? Anything at all you can sell? Any overtime (how ever crap)? Are you owed a tax rebate? Any PPI?

All debt problems can be solved and honest to God I know where you are sitting it doesn't seem like it but you can solve it.

Are you absolutely sure the Halif3x won't give you a 3000 pound loan to clear the overdraft? I say them cos they have one type of loan you can over pay.

Also at this point, with the fees on the Overdraft being crippling I would almost take any loan I could (absolutely in no way shape or form any sort of pay day loan, they can sod off). Even if the interest was high? Have you tried Zopa?

List of possible things to sell

1. Cds
    2. DVDs
    3. Books
    4. Pet related items
    5. can you make anything?
    6. clothes you haven't worn
    7. shoes you haven't worn
    8. doubles of children's toys
    9. children's clothes
    10. old tech
    11. old phones
    12. old furniture - think what lurks in the loft? Garden shed?

Use FB, Gum tree, Preloved.

I found the time I spent shopping had to be occupied by something else, so I did surveys, cashback, collected points.

The biggest kick for me was that every penny really did count.

Please keep posting, this place never runs out of ideas.

XXXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    You may have to change bank accounts and treat the overdraft as another debt. Go for a basic bank account with no overdraft and explain to your current bank you cannot afford the charges so will have to make an arrangement to pay it back. Personally I feel a DMP is your best option as at least then creditors freeze the interest.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks buffy. Tried eligibility checked on Experian, money supermarket and uswitch. Nowhere would accept me ☹️ I've no idea how so poor score when I meet payments unless it's just level of debt. I asked Bank today on phone and their system said they weren't able to offer at this time but I've to call money management dept tomorrow to see about lowering the level of fees for now so that's better than nothing.

I will definitely have a clear out to see what I can sell too. Overdraft will be the priority to pay off at the moment! I will just have to hope that I can get a 0% card at some point soon.
  • Thanks enthuasticsaver.

Someone from stepchange is calling me back to discuss options tomorrow. The only thing that worries me is I read that they don't have to freeze interest with DMP and it isn't a set term so if interest keeps going on I can pay it for years whereas a DPP freezes interest and means they are unable to take me to court if at any point they decide they want to be paid back?
  • Howdy !
    You will be reassured with stepchange so please don’t worry :)
    You are unable to borrow any more , so a dmp is probably what they will advise. Like many others, ive been there , but with payplan and not stepchange . I had a dmp for 5 years, eventually making a settlement with my creditors through payplan . The interest never increased in the time I was on a Dmp.
    You shouldn’t go bankrupt if you own a property . That’s more for folk who rent . You will probably be advised by stepchange for either a dmp or an Iva . Plenty of good advise from others .

Best of luck
  • Thank you. So was interest frozen whilst on your DMP? I was reading up on them on stepchange site and one of disadvantages listed was interest not frozen and the creditor still has option to take you to court at any point. As well as the plan not being for a set time as the amount could still be increasing each month?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure