Living abroad tips and hints for money savers

Options
Please use this thread for any hints, tips or just your experiences of re-locating abroad especially on a budget.

Not necessarily for the retired but this discussion started regarding how much it costs per month to live in the UK when retired and living on a limited budget which made people talk about their experiences of living in Spain. No need to restrict the discussion to Spain though :)

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    We have just over £7k to live on at the moment, which is my husband's actuarily reduced Teacher's Pension. He also receives Incapacity Benefit (although we try not to use this for everyday living, as it could stop - it is being reviewed at the moment). We are not at State Retirement age yet.

We can only live on £7k because we live in Spain (cost of living a lot cheaper) and we have no debts. Our 'Council' Tax here is 80 Euros a year, and our water rates 7E. Electricity is much cheaper and we use bottled gas. There is no TV licence. Car Tax is cheaper too. Telephone is about the same and internet is more expensive. Petrol/diesel is about two-thirds UK price. Groceries are cheaper, so is a night out at the local bar.

The expenses on our UK house are paid for from the rents of two lodgers and our son, who lives there, so it looks after itself. We could not afford to live there at the moment as we wouldn't be able to have the lodgers if we did.

We also have savings
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    We have just over £7k to live on at the moment, which is my husband's actuarily reduced Teacher's Pension. He also receives Incapacity Benefit (although we try not to use this for everyday living, as it could stop - it is being reviewed at the moment). We are not at State Retirement age yet.

We can only live on £7k because we live in Spain (cost of living a lot cheaper) and we have no debts. Our 'Council' Tax here is 80 Euros a year, and our water rates 7E. Electricity is much cheaper and we use bottled gas. There is no TV licence. Car Tax is cheaper too. Telephone is about the same and internet is more expensive. Petrol/diesel is about two-thirds UK price. Groceries are cheaper, so is a night out at the local bar.

The expenses on our UK house are paid for from the rents of two lodgers and our son, who lives there, so it looks after itself. We could not afford to live there at the moment as we wouldn't be able to have the lodgers if we did.

We also have savings

I would be very interested to know if you rent in Spain.My wife and I are thinking of moving there in a few years time and are considering renting.We own our home in the U.k. but maybe we would decide to sell it rather than rent.Should we rent it then we would clearly have the rent from that plus approx. £140,000 of savings giving us about 5 to 6k a year income plus my wifes pension of about £7.5k a year.

Although she would qualify for health care,I would need to set up some health insurance.At the moment we would be happy to rent out there,and I know by renting our house at approx.£500 a month would easily pay for rental accomodation.

Then my state pension and private pensions would kick in after about 3 years.Any advice please.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Pobby wrote:
    I would be very interested to know if you rent in Spain.My wife and I are thinking of moving there in a few years time and are considering renting.We own our home in the U.k. but maybe we would decide to sell it rather than rent.Should we rent it then we would clearly have the rent from that plus approx. £140,000 of savings giving us about 5 to 6k a year income plus my wifes pension of about £7.5k a year.

Although she would qualify for health care,I would need to set up some health insurance.At the moment we would be happy to rent out there,and I know by renting our house at approx.£500 a month would easily pay for rental accomodation.

Then my state pension and private pensions would kick in after about 3 years.Any advice please.

My husband and i returned to the UK last year after living in Spain for just over 3 years.

My advice would always be to rent. Property prices are dropping in Spain particularly in areas of high building activity. A 3 bedroomed property in the Costa Blanca would be available for long term rental for about 500 Euro a month. Electricity costs the same as here, some of our electric bills particularly in the winter were terrifying! Water rates were approx 45Euro every 3 months.

Certainly Suma(like Council Tax) was low at about 250 Euro a year, but we had a property on an Urbanisation so had those fees to pay for the upkeep of the swimming pool, street cleaning etc. This was 300 Euro a year.

We found food no cheaper, in fact if you want any English stuff you pay dearly for it. However the meat and fish were of wonderful quality.

Alcohol is cheaper as are ciggies if you use these items.

I paid 66 Euro a month to Crappyfonica as they are known for phone line and broadband. No calls included in that.

Health care......we both came under the auspices of the Spanish Health Service as we are pensioners. Mostly it was fine but of course you need to find and pay for an interpreter, usually about 25 Euro a visit. All medications were free to us as pensioners. I do believe that even if you are not pensioners you can still access free health care but would pay towards your medications.

Hope this helps , if you need any more just ask. I just wish I had known someone to give me the information, saves a lot of effort and aggravation.

My most heartfelt piece of advice is to learn to speak Spanish before you go.

A budget of approx 1000 Euro a month after rent would enable you to have a fairly good life.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I would echo krisskross's advice. I can't understand why anyone would want to move to a foreign country, ANY foreign country, and make no attempt to learn the language. And that applies just as much to those who come here as to those who are thinking of going to e.g. Spain.

Assuming you are going to get health-care when you need it but factor in the cost of an interpreter is just plain daft IMHO.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • krisskross
    Options
    Hi

I would echo krisskross's advice. I can't understand why anyone would want to move to a foreign country, ANY foreign country, and make no attempt to learn the language. And that applies just as much to those who come here as to those who are thinking of going to e.g. Spain.

Assuming you are going to get health-care when you need it but factor in the cost of an interpreter is just plain daft IMHO.

Margaret

I very soon learned enough Spanish to deal with routine stuff like repeat prescriptions etc. but my Spanish was never going to be good enough to risk misunderstanding a diagnosis or drug dosages. The farmacia does not print instructions on drug containers like in England, you rely on what the doctor has said. Felt it was always preferable to pay for the services of an interpreter to be safe.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Maybe our cost of living in Spain is so much cheaper because we DON't live in an urbanisacion for Brits, we live in a traditional Spanish village in the Sierra Nevada mountains. As I say, most (not everything) here is FAR cheaper than in the UK -Council Tax 80E a year, Water Rates 7E. Andalucia is an 'autonomous region' and I think sets it's own taxes etc., so they have obviously set them cheaper than the Costa Blanca!

We can live here comfotably on £7k here a year because everything is much cheaper. We don't have a money to throw around, bur we don't do without anything either.

Oh - and you have to know Spanish here, no-one speaks anything else! We're getting there slowly!

We could not afford to live on £7k in the UK.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe our cost of living in Spain is so much cheaper because we DON't live in an urbanisacion for Brits, we live in a traditional Spanish village in the Sierra Nevada mountains. As I say, most (not everything) here is FAR cheaper than in the UK -Council Tax 80E a year, Water Rates 7E. Andalucia is an 'autonomous region' and I think sets it's own taxes etc., so they have obviously set them cheaper than the Costa Blanca!

We can live here comfotably on £7k here a year because everything is much cheaper. We don't have a money to throw around, bur we don't do without anything either.

Oh - and you have to know Spanish here, no-one speaks anything else! We're getting there slowly!

We could not afford to live on £7k in the UK.

Wonderful! If I was going to live in any foreign country there is no way I'd want to live in a 'ghetto' or enclave where the only people I met day-to-day were fellow-Brits. And there is no way I could live without learning at least the basics of the language. However, I've heard of people who'd lived in countries like Spain for decades and never learned the language!!! Like some people choose to do here - don't get me started on that one!

I would have seriously considered the idea of selling up here and buying a little property in the Pas de Calais/Nord area of France. We saw 'new-builds' in nice little towns and villages for half the price of this bungalow in Essex. Living in a country where you're forced to speak their language (the French are notorious about that!) would not worry me at all, but DH cannot get his head around the French language. So we scrubbed that idea.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • krisskross
    Options
    Wonderful! If I was going to live in any foreign country there is no way I'd want to live in a 'ghetto' or enclave where the only people I met day-to-day were fellow-Brits. And there is no way I could live without learning at least the basics of the language. However, I've heard of people who'd lived in countries like Spain for decades and never learned the language!!! Like some people choose to do here - don't get me started on that one!

Margaret

Sometimes people have the wrong idea about Urbanisations. they are not just for the British. In the street we lived in there were approx 24 houses. 4 were occupied by British people, 2 by Germans, 2 by Swedes, 1 Chilean. The rest of the houses were Spanish owned. We needed somewhere with public transport, phones and main sewerage:rotfl:
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    krisskross wrote:
    . We needed somewhere with public transport, phones and main sewerage:rotfl:

We have all these.

There is a bus from Granada to the coast and back every day, calling at most of the villages, and then from the coast there are buses to Malaga and Almeria. Both these have national bus and rail stations and airports.

We have our own house telephone and we have a public telephone box in the village.

Mains sewarage/electricity - I would not have moved here if these were not connected.

We also have in our village ( permanent population c.400) a church a general store, a bakery, a jamon shop, a 3-13 school, a pensioner's club, a 'women's institute', access to banking and post office facilities, access to a Doctor and Nurse, a local councillor is available every morning and various mobile vans call frequently, selling everything from gas bottles to knickers, fish, blankets and live chickens. There is an open-air municipal swimming pool between us and the next village (about five minute's drive). We have a 24 hour health centre two villages away and a hospital with accident and emergency about 1.5 hours away.

Most importantly, in our tiny village we have EIGHT bars!

Sorry to go off topic - just wanted to make it clear that we DO have facilities, far more than an English village of comparable size would have.:beer:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Also meant to say, we don't rent our house,- we bought it for £35,000 in 2003.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure