Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 1st Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    • 12,444Posts
    • 79,059Thanks
    kittie
    SKI-er, skater or just spending now to preserve any cash that you have
    • 1st Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    SKI-er, skater or just spending now to preserve any cash that you have 1st Apr 08 at 8:14 PM
    3 years after my last edit in 2012 and circumstances changed drastically in february 2015 when my husband of 45 years died. Sorting and clearing is now pretty well done and I am well into the acceptance stage, part of which means that I have been able to move on and am now creating a life for myself.

I have had a thrifty life and much of it was frugal, this enabled both of us to build up good savings and to have a decent income. When someone you love dies then it suddenly brings it home that life really is for living and if that involves spending money then so be it. Our children will still inherit if I stay well, so I have re-joined the skiers group with a vengeance. Posts will know continue as from today 16th october 2015
    Last edited by kittie; 16-10-2015 at 7:31 PM.
Page 3
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 5th Apr 08, 2:59 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    I have a friend in Germany who was moved with his family into East Germany when he was 12 after the war, and part of Germany was given to Poland. They managed to escape to the West in the Xmas truce in the 50's/60's and never went back. He has a real fear of travelling even now, he has been back to Poland once to see where he lived, but other than that stays in Germany. We hope to go and see him and his wife when we are in Belgium for the day. It is a very sad tale I was privileged to hear once, not one he tells very often.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 8th Apr 08, 6:05 AM
    • 33,975 Posts
    • 68,522 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Silver Savers fall into several categories

SKIs = Spending/Squandering Kids' Inheritance
    CR APS = Cash Rich Asset Poor (These will become SKIs as they have just turned their houses into cash)
    AR SEs = Asset Rich, Sterling Extinct (These have spent it all and are just about to start on the house).
    SK-aters = Spending Kash and Totally Enjoying Results (These are Silver Savers without children who are enjoying spending their money).

(Looking back through some old posts of mine I found these categories of Silver Savers that I'd invented. Added SK-aters to it. Thought it might make someone laugh!).
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 08-04-2008 at 6:09 AM.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 11th Apr 08, 4:51 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Hoping your daughter goes on Ok Margaret, you are right, we never stop worrying about our kids no matter how old they get. Until, of course, we lose it then they start worrying about us.
    DG
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Apr 08, 5:21 PM
    • 33,975 Posts
    • 68,522 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Hope all goes OK Margaret, I will pray for your daughter.

My mum told me quite early on into my marriage before we had our son, that you never stop worrying about your children, no matter how old they are, and indeed she was still worrying about my sister (the one who had Alzheimers) when Mum was in her 90s and my sister was in her 70s. You don't stop being a parent when they turn 18, no matter what some people may think.

I agree that having enough money to SKI also gives you the ability to stay in a hotel and run a car, or indeed be able to be around if your loved ones need you.

Thinking and praying for you and your daughter.
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Errata
    Margaret, wishing your daughter well and a speedy recovery. This quote from the Department of the B1eooming Obvious wouldn't fill me with confidence -

The spokesman "sincerely apologised" to Mrs Rigate and added: "Ensuring sterile instruments for all operations is our top priority and we would not proceed with any procedure if there was any doubt about this.
    • tanith
    • By tanith 12th Apr 08, 1:37 PM
    • 7,981 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    tanith
    Margaret my best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery.. fingers crossed all will go well... it beggars belief what some hospitals put people through...........
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    • Francophile
    • By Francophile 13th Apr 08, 10:28 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Francophile
    Just back from a SKI-ing trip to Spain. Flew into Valencia (1 cent each way each plus taxes). Hired a car and stayed in Javea/Xabia. We had never been to this part of Spain before and I have to say I was completely blown away by the scenery - absolutely stunning. The food was lovely and very reasonable and the people lovely. The only dissapointment was Calpe. We took a drive up to see it having no idea at all what it was like. We were completely horrified and saddened by what has been done to this beautiful coastline. It was just like a huge soulless concrete jungle. To tell the truth it left us feeling quite depressed that greed ( for that can be the only reason) has destroyed such an area of natural beauty. Right that's my rant over. Other than that we had a great time.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    Norn Ireland Club Member 215
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 13th Apr 08, 10:44 AM
    • 33,975 Posts
    • 68,522 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Hi Francophile

You can actually SKI in Spain in both ways.

The 'Sol y Nieve' (Sun and Snow) Ski Resort on the northern slopes of the Sierra Nevada is the most southerly in Europe and apparently much cheaper than the Alps.The Sierra Nevada overlook Granada on the northern side so you can visit this city on the same trip.

I live on the southern side of the Sierra Nevada at an altitude of 1000m (as high as the summit of Snowdon), between two mountain ranges, and on a clear day can see the Med through the mountains .
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 13-04-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    • Francophile
    • By Francophile 13th Apr 08, 12:21 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Francophile
    I'm afraid my days of doing the other sort of skiing are long gone. I haven't visited Spain for a number of years and previously it would have been on package holidays. I really was totally unaware of the beauty of Spain and we'll definitely be returning.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 13th Apr 08, 1:07 PM
    • 33,975 Posts
    • 68,522 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Come to the Alpujarras in Granada province (you will need to hire a car). Even Spaniards come here as tourists. The Sierras Nevada mountains are the second highest on mainland Europe and the architecture is Moorish.

I too was surprised by how beautiful it is here when I first came to Spain in 2002.

The Costa leaves a lot to be desired, but inland is terrific!
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 22nd Apr 08, 8:15 AM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Hi everyone, just thought I'd pop in and see how everyone was doing.

Margaret, hope your daughter is doing OK now.

7DW - Your area sounds nice, no desire to move from the Costa, but may make it down that way as part of our - we must see more of Spain now we have the time - you never believe that you have no time once you finish work, until you finish.

Holland is being very kind to us weather wise nice blue skies and sunshine, though no Spanish temperatures though, but no rain is good when caravanning. Very expensive though. Plain Pancake in tourist area 3.95, with apple and cinnamon sugar (or other toppings) 7.95 when a Menu del Dia can easily be had for 8.
    DG
    • cornerstone13
    • By cornerstone13 23rd Apr 08, 9:59 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    cornerstone13
    Just taken delivery of my new convertible - have to keep looking out of the window to make sure it's real. We placed the order after our eldest son had given us a stern talking to. We've been dithering for ages as we've always had sensible family cars and it seems such an indulgence, then DS1 came over all assertive and said it was about time we spent something on ourselves, after all these years of scrimping and saving to bring up him and his brothers - how could we not !!

SKI-ing still doesn't feel quite right, but we'll keep practising - it's bound to get easier the more we try.

Best wishes to you all

• Francophile
    • By Francophile 23rd Apr 08, 10:25 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Francophile
    Thats wonderful cornerstone!!! Health to enjoy
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    • Francophile
    • By Francophile 23rd Apr 08, 10:28 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Francophile
    I'm going today to a new more expensive hairdresser in the hope that they will update my appearance after years of going cheap. I'm then meeting a friend for lunch to discuss the short holiday we are going to have next month minus our OH's. We go the flights for 0p each way, just the taxes so I suppose that was moneysaving. So that my bit of SKI-ing for now.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
  • balmaiden
    Well our next SKI trip is looming, a much longed for family holiday in Majorca. O/H, myself, 2 daughters and partners, 3 young Grandchildren and my 83 year old parents.

Unfortunately we were dealt a body blow at the week-end my poor old Dad has been diagnosed with bone cancer. He had bowel cancer 6 years ago. The thing is the Dr says there is no reason why he shouldn't still go on holiday.
    I am so torn with what is the right and wrong thing to do. He has been in a lot of pain for the last few weeks but that is controlled now with a low dose of morphine. I know in theory it might do him good especially if the Dr's ok it.
    But how awful to be taken really ill abroad. I am not sure if he is going along with the idea for everyone elses sake or really he would rather stay at home.

Any thoughts fellow SKI-ers ?

Isn't it strange how the thought of losing your Dad can turn a 50 something woman back into a 5 year old girl.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 23rd Apr 08, 6:57 PM
    • 33,975 Posts
    • 68,522 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We have just SKI'd on the tickets for a trip on the Pride of Bilbao ferry from Spain to Portsmouth in June.

Much more expensive than flying, but we can have a little holiday during the crossing (30 hours) and not have to hire a car while we are in the UK.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 23-04-2008 at 7:01 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 23rd Apr 08, 6:59 PM
    • 33,975 Posts
    • 68,522 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Sorry to hear about your dad, balmaiden.

I would ask him to be absolutely honest about whether he wants to go or not, and then do what he wants, especially if his pain is controlled.
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 23rd Apr 08, 7:31 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    The medical treatment/care I have found out here knocks the NHS into a cocked hat! Have no fear on that score.
    DG
    • Francophile
    • By Francophile 23rd Apr 08, 10:54 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Francophile
    Balmaiden, so sorry about your dad. HAve to say I agree wholeheartedly with both SDW and Donny-gal. If he really wants to go at least you know he will get great care in Spain if anything were to go wrong (which hopefully it won't and you'll all have a wonderful holiday).
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    • cornerstone13
    • By cornerstone13 24th Apr 08, 10:40 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    cornerstone13
    Hi Balmaiden, sorry to hear about your Dad and agree with others - can you have a quiet 'heart to heart' with him to find out his real thoughts/fears about the holiday. Or what about your Mum - would he tell her how he really feels. As you say, does he really want to go or does he think he ought to.

Mum (80) and I are off to Jersey in a few weeks; it's the first time we've done anything like this since I was a gal and as you say, very strange to have the roles reversed with me looking out for her rather than the other way round.

If your Dad does decide to go, be sure the travel insurance is up to date in case of unforeseens and maybe check with the Spanish Consulate about getting a doctor's letter translated with details of his condition and medication - just a thought.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

4,110Users online

Martin's Twitter