Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Got the 10 Christmas Bonus this winter? Expect a further 60 in the New Year too!
    • 14th Jan 08, 9:36 PM
    Got the 10 Christmas Bonus this winter? Expect a further 60 in the New Year too! 14th Jan 08 at 9:36 PM
    Updated 29 December 2008

What's this about?

Every year a 10 Christmas Bonus is paid before Christmas Day to pensioners and some people on benefits. This winter it's been announced an additional 60 per person will be paid between Jan & March 2009 to each person who got the 10 bonus.

Who qualifies for the cash?

If you got the 10 bonus, you'll definately get the additional 60.

You qualify for the 60 bonus if you were in receipt of at least one of the following benefits in the week commencing 22 December:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
    • Industrial Death Benefit
    • Carer's Allowance
    • Mobility Supplement
    • Pension Credit - the guaranteed element
    • State Pension (including Graduated Pension)
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
    • War Disablement Pension if aged 65 or over
    • War Widow's Pension
    • Widow's Pension
    • Widowed Mother's Allowance
    • Widowed Parent's Allowance
    Payments don't need to be claimed, they'll be made automatically to you.

When will I get the money?

If you receive the state pension, the 60 payment should hit your account at some point in January. Everyone else will see the cash credited in February or March.

If you haven't had your payment by April, either contact the Jobcentre Plus or pension centre that deals with your regular payments or call the Christmas Bonus helpline on 0800 141 2591.

Related Guides

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 30-12-2008 at 3:38 PM.
Page 3
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 11th Jan 09, 4:30 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    Just checked my bank account and the 60 has been added to my usual pension amount
  • lisa364
    Me too, just checked my bank and its showing 60 credit, helps soften the blow of my 175 electric bill
    • molley
    • By molley 11th Jan 09, 6:09 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    molley
    Me too, just checked my bank and its showing 60 credit, helps soften the blow of my 175 electric bill
    Originally posted by lisa364
    Not sure if I have been paid it as I can't tell until after midnight .And mine's a gas bill of over 200...Gas and leccy prices in this country are a scandal.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 11th Jan 09, 8:53 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Biggles
    Mine (and the wife's) arrives tomorrow, just checked the statement.
  • 5fEtsd9Hs1LOR3SQftY9
    Yes - the expected 60 extra is showing in the weekly payment due tomorrow and which my account shows as having been credited this evening
    5f....
  • welshlil
    Fuel discount
    I notice that some of you are receiving the Christmas bonus, have you also rung your fuel supplier to see if you are eligible for the discount scheme? SWALEC [at the moment] offer the biggest discount. Its means tested, by the fuel company. Proof of income etc required. If you spend 10% or more of your income on gas or electricity and you receive certain benefits, you might be entitled. I did and qualify for 20% off gas and electricity.
    Last edited by welshlil; 12-01-2009 at 9:55 AM.
    • molley
    • By molley 12th Jan 09, 12:03 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    molley
    And I got my 60 squid as well today( Monday)
    • molley
    • By molley 12th Jan 09, 12:05 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    molley
    I notice that some of you are receiving the Christmas bonus, have you also rung your fuel supplier to see if you are eligible for the discount scheme? SWALEC [at the moment] offer the biggest discount. Its means tested. If you spend 10% or more of your income on gas or electricity and you receive certain benefits, you might be entitled. I did and qualify for 20% off gas and electricity.
    Originally posted by welshlil
    So if it's means tested who administers that scheme?

EDIT: Ah..found it eventually..doesn't exactly jump out at you from their website .Don't want too many folk to know I suppose !!!
    Seems that you have to be in receipt of a means tested benefit ..Typical ...You have a small works pension and once again you are stuffed . No CTB,No Pension Credit .No b****r all.
    http://swalec.co.uk/Help/ForYourHome/SpecialPackages/Default.aspx
    Last edited by molley; 12-01-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    • richard9991
    • By richard9991 12th Jan 09, 12:44 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    richard9991
    "You qualify for the 60 bonus if you were in receipt of at least one of the following benefits in the week commencing 22 December:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance"
    This is so clear, Lyniced........................
    Originally posted by chesky369
    also incap ben
    cares allowance
    • richard9991
    • By richard9991 12th Jan 09, 12:48 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    richard9991
    hi, I am on Disability LA and long term incapacity, I get 10 bonus, so I presume I get the 60 bonus, but my husbasnd also gets pension credit , would he get 60 as well or is it a one 60 per couple? many thanks.
    Originally posted by barbara212
    yes he will
    • richard9991
    • By richard9991 12th Jan 09, 12:55 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    richard9991
    A little strange that, as a person on disability based income support, I am not entitled to this even though DLA and incapacity ARE included. Would have come in very handy with my atrocious financial position at the mo
    Originally posted by JDPower
    if on dla you are entitled
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 12th Jan 09, 9:56 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    Newly retired
    If you are not already on DLA I'm just wondering if you could claim it ( or Attendance Allowance if over 65)? Too late for the 60 one-off payment, but could be a valuable long-term help and passport to other health benefits.
    Your local CAB could help you fill in the forms, or Age Concern.
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 12th Jan 09, 10:25 AM
    • 10,199 Posts
    • 17,270 Thanks
    margaretclare
    I notice that some of you are receiving the Christmas bonus, have you also rung your fuel supplier to see if you are eligible for the discount scheme? SWALEC [at the moment] offer the biggest discount. Its means tested, by the fuel company. Proof of income etc required. If you spend 10% or more of your income on gas or electricity and you receive certain benefits, you might be entitled. I did and qualify for 20% off gas and electricity.
    The Christmas bonus and the 60 are also paid to the non-means-tested.

DH and I got ours today. It goes straight to savings I'm afraid, because since his serious illness in October we've spent a few grand, and with the upcoming surgery in the next 2-3 weeks we may need to replace the car with something a little more roomy. 4th knee replacement within 5 years, there may not be enough bone left to anchor the new prosthetic joint so Plan B will be to stiffen the knee completely. As it is, he can get into the driver's side of our little Peugeot 206 but not into the passenger side. He was taken to hospital last Friday by volunteer car, a big silver Mondeo, and he managed to get into the passenger side without too much difficulty. If the knee replacement is successful (please God!) he will have a bendy knee so no need to replace the Peugeot. We are desperate to get away for a few days when all this is over. One good thing is, there are good deals to be had all over the place, used cars, hotel stays, you name it.
    r ic wisdom funde, r wear ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    • hm71
    • By hm71 12th Jan 09, 10:32 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    can anyone advise if they have recieved the 60 on DLA yet? I should recieve my monthly payment at the end of this month so hoping for a little extra.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
    2 saving club 140
    • scottishf
    • By scottishf 18th Jan 09, 10:43 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scottishf
    Nothing received here yet :=(...anyone else still waiting?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 18th Jan 09, 4:20 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    I believe pensioners are being paid this month and those on other benefits in February/March.

So you may have a little wait, alas.
  • karen5416
    Got mine with my incapacity benefit...

My daughter is 16 on dla, she got the 10 at xmas should she get the extra 60 ??
  • chatty1
    60 bonus
    hi, just to let people know my hubby is on incapacity and received his 60 last week . So maybe they are doing it in some sort of order
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 21st Jan 09, 4:25 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 34,306 Thanks
    ampersand
    ###################
    Hello welshlil -
    I think your very helpful post should have more prominence and I am surprised it hasn't been picked up by more thankful msers.

I just want to emblazon my thanks to you!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' Franois-Marie AROUET

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 25th Jan 09, 2:04 PM
    • 15,512 Posts
    • 151,415 Thanks
    mardatha
    havent had mine yet, but the husband has..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,146Posts Today

4,796Users online

Martin's Twitter