PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offered £20,000 below asking price

Options

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have found out that selling a property with an old kitchen, old bathroom and old boiler is more or less the same as selling a house with a new kitchen, bathroom and boiler.

They may of accepted an offer of say 10-13K under asking but if £250K is all you have got then look for a cheaper house.
  • johnathan45
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    OP is surely exempt from stamp duty land tax as a FTB?

I do agree that a house priced at 270k is quite likely to sell at 249,999 to come in under the 250k stamp duty banding though

You seem to have forgotten that since late 2014, the incremental SDLT is paid only on the excess over 250k and not on the whole of 270k.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    OP is surely exempt from stamp duty land tax as a FTB?

Makes no difference to the vendor.
  • SmashedAvacado
    Options
    go and have another look at it
    offer 240 this time and work your way up from there
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    go and have another look at it
    offer 240 this time and work your way up from there

So, you've got a seller who's in no hurry to sell, and who's already told the OP to b*gger off at £250k. Talk us through why this isn't a complete waste of everyone's time, especially the OP's?
  • SmashedAvacado
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    So, you've got a seller who's in no hurry to sell, and who's already told the OP to b*gger off at £250k. Talk us through why this isn't a complete waste of everyone's time, especially the OP's?

Because Tom, that was four months ago.

Going to see a property after four months makes sense as you may not remember it as it was
    Even if you end up going about 250, its important to start at a price likely to be rejected - as otherwise neither buyer or seller will be happy when they finally get a deal.
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    You seem to have forgotten that since late 2014, the incremental SDLT is paid only on the excess over 250k and not on the whole of 270k.

I had, and you are correct.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I’m another for call the EA and put offer on the table. Most EAs should be good at remembering you and would call you back if they were willing to go to £250k, but there are some that are rubbish and wouldn’t have even thought to call you back as an option to sell.

Call the EA what have you got to lose?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Amanda2468 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your advice. We are buying with the open market help to buy scheme and it is capped at £250k for the maximum we can offer as I would be willing to offer more but restricted by this
    Let the EA know this then when you go back and say "well that's my high water mark so I'll have to withdraw if they can't accept it"maybe it would help the sellers to accept they will ahve other buyers in similar position with similar limits and forget their ridiculous (IMO) refusal of an AP offer.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree with calling the EA and restating your original offer. Your original offer seems fair given the amount of time it has been on the market.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport