Think average wardrobe size, don't have the measurements to hand sorry
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 November 2019 at 10:53AM
    Options
    DanH11 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I recently ordered a computer chair off Amazon, and received something else entirely. The box was so heavy two of us had a hard time lifting it, it seemed way too big for a chair. Inside was a bunch of photography stuff, all the lights and stands, looked like professional stuff.

Despite everyone telling me to flog it all on eBay, I contacted Amazon to tell them I had received a random box instead of my order. And so the saga begins..

I asked if they would try to arrange a re-delivery of my item, and was told no. I asked for a refund then, and was knocked over. Amazon demanded I return their item before I get my money back, with the assumption it be done at my expense. I told them I wouldn't be able to return this without a collection. They grumbled but arranged a collection.. Without asking me when I would be available. I was then told to be available between 8am and 8pm on a Monday. Nobody turned up. At no point was I asked when would be convenient, I just had to be available when they told me.

We are now on the 4th collection "attempt" and I cant keep making myself available between those hours. I don't usually get home until 7:30pm Mon-Fri and they collect until 8pm. All along Amazon have demanded that I need to return their item before they will refund me, adamant that they won't treat my non-delivery and their wrong delivery as separate issues.

In my last call I asked over and over again to speak to a manager, eventually being hung up on then called by an odd number. The guy on the other end was very irate, and proceeded to shout at me that my only options are to pay to return it myself and make a refund claim to Amazon or to be available for a collection during the week. He kept telling me how difficult I was being and when I told him I didn't trust Amazon enough anymore to pay me back the horrific amount it would cost me to arrange delivery of this box, he lost his rag. I've been chasing a refund for 2 week, the last thing I want is another to chase! He told me I'm not getting my money back, unless I stop being difficult.

---

What are my options here? I don't know what to do.

I paid for this with a credit card, through my Amazon account. One of the agents I spoke to warned me that trying to solve this outside of the Amazon system would mean my account would be closed, I use Amazon for everything and I doubt I'd get a refund for Amazon prime either. So I guess they take a very harsh reaction to chargebacks..

When you say it's the 4th collection attempt do you mean they've agreed a collection date and then not turned up?
    Email [Removed by Forum Team]; he’s the CEO.

Never really understood this advice, although I respect it's given out a lot. The best case scenario is the email is forwarded on to the correct department by someone in head office and it might prompt a bit more action. Most likely outcome it just slows down communication.

I'm sure no one honestly thinks that Jeff himself will read it.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    When you say it's the 4th collection attempt do you mean they've agreed a collection date and then not turned up?

This is the key question.

@OP - Check the Failed Delivery: Fightback! article on MSE ... the principle of it applies equally here. You may have a claim for financial losses caused by their breach of contract.
  • DanH11
    DanH11 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »

Hi Gavin,

That's correct, the collections have been no shows. No doorbell rang, no cards or calls from courier. Each time I call Amazon to say they didn't turn up, the rep just arranges another collection at Amazon's convenience.

Is there some kind of limit on how long this can go on before I have filled some kind of "duty to be reasonable"?
  • couriervanman
    Options
    If it was me i would be firmly telling Amazon/third party seller a collection time convenient for me probably a 2 hour window,and if a no show keep it stored in garage etc and send them a storage bill
  • DanH11
    DanH11 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    This is the key question.

@OP - Check the Failed Delivery: Fightback! article on MSE ... the principle of it applies equally here. You may have a claim for financial losses caused by their breach of contract.

Thanks for this! Just read through it and looks very relevant and promising :)
    If it was me i would be firmly telling Amazon/third party seller a collection time convenient for me probably a 2 hour window

I have asked for this, they say they cannot offer anything smaller than a 12 hour window with their chosen courier. 8am til 8pm.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 November 2019 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Thanks for this! Just read through it and looks very relevant and promising :)

I have asked for this, they say they cannot offer anything smaller than a 12 hour window with their chosen courier. 8am til 8pm.

In which case tough on them......just tell them a day that is convenient to you with a time,they will back down if the stuff is worth money.If they turn up as your going out/coming back from work going shopping etc tough on them be firm and give them a date/time that suits you.
  • Jumblebumble
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I love how you are mistrustful of Amazon and think the worst about them wanting to keep your money when you have potentially £1000+ worth of their stock. Photography equipment is not cheap so it makes complete sense that they would be reluctant to either send your item or refund you while you still have their property in your possession. If either party should be mistrustful of the other it should be them being mistrustful of you.

I would not be interested in the slightest if some jackass sends me wrong stuff and then distrusts me.
    It is absurd that these fools should expect the OP to wait in 12 hours because Amazon are too tight fisted to pay someone to come within 1 hours window.
    I would now simply nominate a time within 1 hour when they can come or tell them to keep my money and I will keep their photographic kit.
    This will involve someone a little more senior than the monkeys who are dealing with the problem who will no doubt will resolve quickly.
  • Dasa
    Dasa Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 November 2019 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Why did you accept delivery of a wardrobe size box when all you ordered was a chair?
    I would of opened the box before I accepted delivery if as you say you suspected it wasn't right.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there some kind of limit on how long this can go on before I have filled some kind of "duty to be reasonable"?

The issue is you can't just keep the items, they remain Amazons property regardless of their incompetence. I'd also ignore some of the advice here, you have a duty to be reasonable and saying "you can only pick it up between 2-3 on a sunday afternoon is not reasonable.

If you can't escalate it to someone more competent I'd probably be contacting them saying you've been more than reasonable and you'll give them one more opportunity to collect it at which point you'll be selling it on eBay and sending them the money, minus the refund you're owed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure