Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harrybrown100121
    • By Harrybrown100121 9th Nov 19, 7:35 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Harrybrown100121
    Living on benefits
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:35 PM
    Living on benefits 9th Nov 19 at 7:35 PM
    How do people survive on benefits? I just looked and I will receive just over 400 pounds a month. I still have to pay rent, council tax, service charge, car insurance, car tax, heating, gas. I donít know how I would cope.
Page 1
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 9th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    How do people survive on benefits? I just looked and I will receive just over 400 pounds a month. I still have to pay rent, council tax, service charge, car insurance, car tax, heating, gas. I don’t know how I would cope.
    Originally posted by Harrybrown100121
    What benefit are you claiming?

If it is an income related benefit UC, JSA(IB), ESA(IR) then you should be entitled to some help with housing costs. If it is a contribution based benefit only, then do you have savings or other income that is preventing you being entitled to an income related benefit?
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 9th Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    You mentioned recently that you are a civil servant so hopefully when you add your wage on top youíll be OK.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Nov 19, 7:58 PM
    • 6,239 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:58 PM
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:58 PM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6067519
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 9th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    • 9th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    Which benefit(s) are you claiming, and what are your circumstances/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Nov 19, 8:03 AM
    • 24,115 Posts
    • 64,882 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:03 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:03 AM
    How do people survive on benefits? I just looked and I will receive just over 400 pounds a month. I still have to pay rent, council tax, service charge, car insurance, car tax, heating, gas. I donít know how I would cope.
    Have your circumstances recently changed?
    Less than 3 months ago you were in this position:
    I am 32 years old, I want to start investing in a private pension but do not where to start. I could only afford to put between 100 to 200 a month in. Is that enough?
    So...have your circumstances changed since 26th August or are you asking a hypothetical question?

This board is specifically for help and support for those on or looking to claim benefits - as per the 'sticky' at the top of the board.

If you do not need help and/or support about benefits, this thread needs moving to Discussion Time.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 10th Nov 19, 8:13 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:13 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:13 AM
    ...this thread needs moving to Discussion Time.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Just having it closed would make more sense. I don't think there is any real help needed or relevant discussion to be had.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Nov 19, 8:45 AM
    • 24,115 Posts
    • 64,882 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:45 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:45 AM
    Just having it closed would make more sense. I don't think there is any real help needed or relevant discussion to be had.
    Originally posted by sportsarb
    But the OP hasn't confirmed one way or the other whether he/she needs help/support/advice about benefits and I wouldn't like to see a thread closed because some posters think real help isn't needed if someone really is in need.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 10th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 10th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    But the OP hasn't confirmed one way or the other whether he/she needs help/support/advice about benefits and I wouldn't like to see a thread closed because some posters think real help isn't needed if someone really is in need.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I guess there is an infinitesimally small chance that they aren't a troll and they do need help but given the thread history about being employed a few weeks ago, going to Egypt and getting diarrhoea (Believable but why post about it), fear of parents dying, fear of being made homeless, writing to their MP with a fake name and e-mail address but correct address all while getting ready for an interview at the department where the MP works and worrying about getting arrested and, finally, worrying about whether his non-Russell group degree will be good enough for banks.

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't need help, I just fear that it is of the type we cannot give on the internet, if they are serious about this then my first reply in the thread can stand as my requirement for taking them seriously.

I worry about a tonne of stuff, incessantly, but I tend to filter most of it in to things I believe the internet can help with and things they can't and are of no interest or use.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Nov 19, 9:11 AM
    • 4,859 Posts
    • 2,853 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I guess there is an infinitesimally small chance that they aren't a troll and they do need help but given the thread history about being employed a few weeks ago, going to Egypt and getting diarrhoea (Believable but why post about it), fear of parents dying, fear of being made homeless, writing to their MP with a fake name and e-mail address but correct address all while getting ready for an interview at the department where the MP works and worrying about getting arrested and, finally, worrying about whether his non-Russell group degree will be good enough for banks.

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't need help, I just fear that it is of the type we cannot give on the internet, if they are serious about this then my first reply in the thread can stand as my requirement for taking them seriously.

I worry about a tonne of stuff, incessantly, but I tend to filter most of it in to things I believe the internet can help with and things they can't and are of no interest or use.
    Spot on, yet another idiot for my ignore list.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Nov 19, 9:40 AM
    • 24,115 Posts
    • 64,882 Thanks
    Pollycat

Spot on, yet another idiot for my ignore list.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I too have my doubts about the real need of help by the OP regarding benefits but I do prefer to give posters the benefit of the doubt, even after reading previous posting history.

I guess this thread will just gradually fall to the bottom of the board unless the OP comes back and clarifies a real need for help.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 10th Nov 19, 2:11 PM
    • 6,146 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    If you are still on the LHA system that is how they work it out, the amount of bedrooms required (private tenants) many are no longer on that system.
    There are a lot of people who believe that people on benefits get all their rent and council tax paid for them, that is not, as a blanket statement true. It goes on the individuals circumstances and the type of tenancy.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Mark Norville
    • By Mark Norville 10th Nov 19, 2:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mark Norville
    If you are still on the LHA system that is how they work it out, the amount of bedrooms required (private tenants) many are no longer on that system.
    There are a lot of people who believe that people on benefits get all their rent and council tax paid for them, that is not, as a blanket statement true. It goes on the individuals circumstances and the type of tenancy.
    Originally posted by Blackpool_Saver
    Indeed, I have said about legacy benefits and then also universal credit payments. Sadly universal credit is going to a minefield when it comes to housing, especially during sanctions. However, I believe that the local councils will still help in those circumstances and they can still pay the rent due to zero income so in the end they still need to apply to the Government for housing payment.

I am not sure if this would apply for private rented but hopefully it will, otherwise a lot of people are going to suffer and face being homeless, especially if the DWP keep sanctioning people for no reason.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 10th Nov 19, 3:13 PM
    • 6,146 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    How much rent will Universal Credit pay?
    ?
    Did you know?
    If you’re moving from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit, you will continue to get Housing Benefit for two weeks after your UC claim starts to reduce the risk of rent arrears.

The Universal Credit housing element is designed to cover some or all of your rent payments. How much you get depends on where you live, the size of your home and whether you’re a private or social tenant.

If you rent privately, your housing costs are based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for your area. For example, if you’re single and have no dependent children, the LHA will be based on the cost of renting a one bedroom flat.

Housing costs for social tenants is based on your eligible rent. If it’s decided you have more bedrooms than you actually need, your eligible rent will be reduced.

You will be responsible for using this money to pay your landlord.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Mark Norville
    • By Mark Norville 10th Nov 19, 4:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mark Norville
    It will still be roughly around the same amount that you was paid via legacy benefits, but the problem now is that it is no longer in the hands of local council, it is the Government, it will also be down to region, London, South East being the highest paid for rents.

Sadly universal credit is going to be a worrying thing for people whom get sanctioned, especially if their appeal gets turned down. If all of your UC gets stopped including your housing element a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Nov 19, 4:04 PM
    • 6,239 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    poppy12345

Sadly universal credit is going to be a worrying thing for people whom get sanctioned, especially if their appeal gets turned down. If all of your UC gets stopped including your housing element a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble.
    Originally posted by Mark Norville
    If a claimant is sanctioned the deductions come from the standard allowance only and not from any other elements.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 10th Nov 19, 4:39 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    calcotti
    If a claimant is sanctioned the deductions come from the standard allowance only and not from any other elements.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Unfortunately I don't think that's strictly correct. UC is one benefit made up of the various elements and the elements are ring fenced. The amount of sanction is a proportion of the standard allowance only. However if the amount of UC payable has been reduced from the maximum entitlement by earnings and the remaining standard allowance is less than the sanction then the sanction will effectively erode the housing element (or other elements as the case my be).
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 10th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Yup my neighbour got sanctioned and their housing element was paid as normal.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 10th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Although as Poppy says it depends on the sanction ultimately.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Nov 19, 4:51 PM
    • 6,239 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    poppy12345
    See link and scroll to "rate of sanction" http://benefitsaware.centralenglandlc.org.uk/universal-credit-sanctions/

I'm sure someone like calcotti or Alice will quote the UC reg for this and prove that i am actually correct and i didn't make it up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

51Posts Today

3,815Users online

Martin's Twitter