Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohdrar
    • By ohdrar 8th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ohdrar
    Working with Carers Allowance and Tax Credits
    • 8th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    Working with Carers Allowance and Tax Credits 8th Nov 19 at 7:39 PM
    HI All

First post - I hope someone can advise me on this one.

Im getting carers allowance for my child whose 16 and in college. I want to work and know the maximum is 123 per week on carers (equals 15 hours at nmw). But I also get working tax credits as being self employed and then the child tax credits on top as full time education.

The rules for working tc are over 16 hours per week. My question is can I be working part time and still be self employed for the purposes of tax credits ?

Thanks
Page 2
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Nov 19, 4:56 PM
    • 6,238 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I think the over active troll today has addled my brain.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    Couldn't agree more....
    • ohdrar
    • By ohdrar 10th Nov 19, 6:33 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ohdrar
    This exactly, the op was rather snappy to ice queen who only assumed something to give advice because very little information was given.
    Originally posted by _shel
    HI Shel

You're right I was snappy - but not without reason.

We all seemed to have nicely ignored what Icequeen99 has said. Both making out Im not really self employed and implying I'm pulling a fast one but also assuming because I'm a cleaner by trade im also a woman.

I think given both of those things anyone else would feel the same way.

I think I gave all the relevant info in my original post - dont see whether Im a man or woman would have affected the advice given? I know full well it can sometimes like with changes to state pension age but single parent is single parent under state pension age there's no difference in advice.

I'm sorry if you thought I was snappy with Icequeen99.
    • ohdrar
    • By ohdrar 10th Nov 19, 6:35 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ohdrar
    Quite right - I quoted the wrong post. My reply was meant to be a reply to the following post by ohdrar.

Apologies to you, shel.

I think the over active troll today has addled my brain.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    Overactive troll is quite snappy if we're checking what each other says - I've followed this forum for years and seen trolling happen. I don't think I've been trolling my thread in this case. I gave plenty of relevant info to a rather unique situation.

It wasn't like the money moral dilemmas etc...

Sorry if you thought I was trolling, can assure you am not, just needing advice
    • _shel
    • By _shel 10th Nov 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,475 Posts
    • 4,586 Thanks
    _shel
    Overactive troll is quite snappy if we're checking what each other says - I've followed this forum for years and seen trolling happen. I don't think I've been trolling my thread in this case. I gave plenty of relevant info to a rather unique situation.

Originally posted by ohdrar
    Seems there was a lot of trolling on the boards today by other posters, possibly even the same person! I think their constant posting and giving out nonsense 'advice' has tired everyone out. The culprit can no longer post which is good. Glad I went out for a carvery instead.

Hope you otherwise got some sane advice you can use.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 10th Nov 19, 7:13 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    calcotti

My somewhat flippant trolling remark was not aimed at you. There was someone who has not posted before but made over 40 posts in this forum today, all of which were argumentative, often incorrect and in some cases prejudiced. Almost all have now been removed by MSE.

None of my comments on this thread are meant to be critical of you, or questioning of your position. I admire your desire to enhance your financial resource and my comments are all intended to support understanding of the relevant benefit rules.
    Last edited by calcotti; 10-11-2019 at 7:18 PM.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 10th Nov 19, 7:48 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    HI Shel

You're right I was snappy - but not without reason.

We all seemed to have nicely ignored what Icequeen99 has said. Both making out Im not really self employed and implying I'm pulling a fast one but also assuming because I'm a cleaner by trade im also a woman.

I think given both of those things anyone else would feel the same way.

I think I gave all the relevant info in my original post - dont see whether Im a man or woman would have affected the advice given? I know full well it can sometimes like with changes to state pension age but single parent is single parent under state pension age there's no difference in advice.

I'm sorry if you thought I was snappy with Icequeen99.
    Apologies if you were offended by my post. If you look at my post history you will see I spend a lot of time providing help and guidance to people on here and sharing my knowledge. I didn't assume you were a she because you were a cleaner - I thought i had read it in a subsequent post.

I was asking questions because it is prudent to understand circumstances fully before offering advice. My comment about being self-employed is because lots of people are forced into false self-employment by people who engage them. So if you are cleaning for just one business, you may be an employee and not self-employed. Self-employment isn't a choice, it is based on the facts.

I also understand that it may not pay well, and that self-employment is based on profit but from what you described it sounded again like you are working for one person and therefore wouldn't have the usual costs of a typical business (who is say advertising etc...)

Regardless, your self-employment will already be counting towards the carer's allowance threshold. However, one thing you need to be aware of is that your profit from self-employment for tax credits will not necessarily be the same as DWP use when calculating whether you meet the CA threshold. Tax credits are annual - carer's allowance isn't and so if your income varies, there are specific averaging rules for carer's allowance. Before you add to it, it is worth looking into how DWP treat your self-employed income for CA purposes.

IQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,836Posts Today

7,994Users online

Martin's Twitter