Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • demetra
    • By demetra 25th Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    demetra
    provider switch - cancel direct debit?
    • 25th Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    provider switch - cancel direct debit? 25th Oct 19 at 10:43 AM
    Hello. Because Vodafone hiked their prices, I switched from Vodafone broadband to Talktalk and the switch (go live) date is 29 October. What is best - to cancel the direct debit with Vodafone, so that I avoid being double billed in November? Or perhaps just let Vodafone bill me and credit me back later? The Vodafone direct debit is due to be taken on 1 November. Thanks.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Oct 19, 10:55 AM
    • 13,557 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 25th Oct 19, 10:55 AM
    • 25th Oct 19, 10:55 AM
    Did you cancel with Vodafone so as to trigger no contract payment or just swap .
    If so you will be billed the remaining months .
    If not i would cancel DD December so as all balances are taken .
    • demetra
    • By demetra 25th Oct 19, 11:34 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    demetra
    • 25th Oct 19, 11:34 AM
    • 25th Oct 19, 11:34 AM
    Sorry, you're a bit too cryptic for me. Vodafone hijacked costs mid-contract, and I got an email from them saying that I can either accept costs increase OR exit within 30 days with no penalty.

I didn't cancel with Vodafone myself - I thought Talktalk would take care of that - as I'm switching providers and Talktalk is taking over the existing phone line. Please don't tell me I needed to inform Vodafone myself...
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Oct 19, 12:06 PM
    • 13,557 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 25th Oct 19, 12:06 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 12:06 PM
    If Vodafone have said you are free to leave and dont mention contacting them to cancel fine .

But usual price increase letters say contact us .

as i understand Ofcom rules .
    You get a price increase letter .
    You contact your ISP and say you wish to leave penalty free under the OFCOM price rules .

Transfer via ISP is probably going to result in you being billed for the balance of your contract .

See multiple identical posts .
    • demetra
    • By demetra 25th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    demetra
    • 25th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    Hi - I managed to talk to Vodafone and they confirmed that I have the right to leave with no penalty - got it in writing. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,719Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter