Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tikki999
    • By tikki999 25th Oct 19, 10:20 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 29Thanks
    tikki999
    TalkTalk penalties?
    • 25th Oct 19, 10:20 AM
    TalkTalk penalties? 25th Oct 19 at 10:20 AM
    My parents have a contract with TalkTalk that is due to end in mid-December. I organise broadband/phone for them because they find it very difficult. I have just tried 'chatting' with TalkTalk, but after 20 minutes, I didn't really get any answers to my questions, just someone trying to push me into fibre broadband, despite telling them that internet is 'light usage' (if that, as parents tend to turn off router for much of a day!) Oh, and then whoever was at the other end of the 'chat' just disappeared.

My main question is around penalties for leaving before contract ends. I looked at their 'help' pages but it doesn't seem clear. If I arrange for a switch, within a month of the contract ending, will they be penalised?

Do I have to tell TalkTalk if they choose to leave? OR do I just arrange with a new provider to switch it? I am practised at switching energy companies, but not broadband/phone providers!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Oct 19, 11:01 AM
    • 13,549 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 25th Oct 19, 11:01 AM
    • 25th Oct 19, 11:01 AM
    <turn off router for much of a day>

Turning off router is wrong as the exchange sees it as a fault and downgrades the line speed .

Gaining provider deals with all .

No penalty but balance of contract is usually due if ending it .

Far easier to initiate the swap nearer contract end date .
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 25th Oct 19, 11:03 AM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 25th Oct 19, 11:03 AM
    • 25th Oct 19, 11:03 AM
    <turn off router for much of a day>

Turning off router is wrong as the exchange sees it as a fault and downgrades the line speed .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan

Used to, should not these days.

Repeatedly connecting and disconnecting in a short period however...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,709Posts Today

7,288Users online

Martin's Twitter