Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • byronwells
    • By byronwells 23rd Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 5Thanks
    byronwells
    I am sick of tired of paying Virgin Media Prices
    • 23rd Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    I am sick of tired of paying Virgin Media Prices 23rd Oct 19 at 11:24 PM
    Hi guys

I have been a loyal customer of Virgin Media for over 5 years straight with having M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk More Anytime package but now I am getting sick and tired of paying there prices.. I have just noticed that my discount for remaining a customer is coming to an end by the end of November and going back to 57.49 and I think that is way too much...

One of the reasons why I haven't really gone with anyone else is that most other internet providers wants you to have to a phone line up and running and then you can use them... Which in my own head would mean more cost pay, paying two companies, instead of just paying one... (Could be totally wrong)

Also we have got a sky tv package.. So not sure if I should use them..

In short I am in need of real help to get an affordable internet and phone
Page 1
    • bill888
    • By bill888 24th Oct 19, 8:56 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    bill888
    • 24th Oct 19, 8:56 AM
    • 24th Oct 19, 8:56 AM
    You can get phone and broadband, ordered at same time from a single company, particularly the larger ISPs can offer this service. Note there will be a new connection charge as you don't currently have an old BT (openreach) phone line. This fee varies from 0 to 130. It is to cover cost of an Openreach engineer.

If you take phone AND broadband from BT, there is no new connection fee. I think Sky charge something like 20 but don't quote me. Plusnet, Talktalk and Vodafone are around 60.

There are usually some good deals around Black Friday week.

I would also check what 'estimated' fibre speed is available to your property. Anything less than 30mb for 'VDSL' for 'Downstream' suggests you are on a long phone line and could be unreliable if you are unlucky.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Consider also whether your existing phone number can be moved from VM to another provider. Sometimes it is not possible.

In our experience over past few years, 100mb cable from VM is normally 'circa' 25 pm (+2 with line rental, weekend calls) on a retention deal, BUT you have to give 30 days notice to cancel everything, and HOPE the Outbounds team phone you with an offer within 2-4 days typically. Otherwise, you have to 'uncancel' the cancellation (keeping old contract) and repeat the process if they don't call or you miss their calls before the 30 days is up.... You won't get such retention offers by phoning and speaking to VM customer services.
    Last edited by bill888; 24-10-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 24th Oct 19, 9:18 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Astar1809
    • 24th Oct 19, 9:18 AM
    • 24th Oct 19, 9:18 AM
    How much do you pay for Sky?

I pay for the ultimate oomph package and get two boxes, all sky sports all by sports, all movies, 400 Fibre broadband AND a sim card with unlimited everything all for 99 a month. once you combine a full TV package, a mobile sim contract thats unlimited, Top level fibre broadband and phone line all rolled in it saves so much money for us. Details of package below.

Television:
    1 Maxit TV
    Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
    Maxit TV
    Kids Pick
    Sky Sports and Cinema Collection
    Personal picks
    Sky Sports HD Pack
    Broadband:
    M500 Fibre Broadband
    Telephone:
    Talk More Anytime
    Free Voicemail
    Telephone Line Rental
    Mobile:
    As you've selected one of our Oomph SIM bundles, we will bill your monthly tariff here alongside your other Virgin Media services. You can view your mobile usage and allowance details separately here
    Oomph Unlimited Data SIM
    • creditcard123
    • By creditcard123 24th Oct 19, 9:46 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    creditcard123
    • 24th Oct 19, 9:46 AM
    • 24th Oct 19, 9:46 AM
    Hi
    VM have just put my bill up again it is now 112 I have been a customer for over 20 years in 3 different properties.
    The wifi is awful.
    I have a TiVo box and V6 box
    No sports or cinema channels apart from basic ones
    M200 broadband
    I am now looking at other providers but not sure if they are any better. Has anyone had experience of NOW tv broadband.
    Que Sera, Sera
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 24th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Astar1809
    • 24th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 24th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    Hi
    VM have just put my bill up again it is now 112 I have been a customer for over 20 years in 3 different properties.
    The wifi is awful.
    I have a TiVo box and V6 box
    No sports or cinema channels apart from basic ones
    M200 broadband
    I am now looking at other providers but not sure if they are any better. Has anyone had experience of NOW tv broadband.
    Originally posted by creditcard123
    Broadband will only be as good as the BT cooper wire lines, different providers are unlikely to make a big difference, Fibre is the future and with Virgin you get a dedicated fibre line point to point where as other "fibre" providers offer fibre to the green box on your road than the bandwidth gets choked on the copper wire from the green box to your home offering very little noticeable difference.. Also you mention Wifi is bad, now do you mean the service going to the WIFI box is bad or the WIFI box is bad and delivering the signal to the house. two different problems with two different solutions.
    • byronwells
    • By byronwells 24th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    byronwells
    • 24th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    How much do you pay for Sky?

I pay for the ultimate oomph package and get two boxes, all sky sports all by sports, all movies, 400 Fibre broadband AND a sim card with unlimited everything all for 99 a month. once you combine a full TV package, a mobile sim contract thats unlimited, Top level fibre broadband and phone line all rolled in it saves so much money for us. Details of package below.

Television:
    1 Maxit TV
    Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
    Maxit TV
    Kids Pick
    Sky Sports and Cinema Collection
    Personal picks
    Sky Sports HD Pack
    Broadband:
    M500 Fibre Broadband
    Telephone:
    Talk More Anytime
    Free Voicemail
    Telephone Line Rental
    Mobile:
    As you've selected one of our Oomph SIM bundles, we will bill your monthly tariff here alongside your other Virgin Media services. You can view your mobile usage and allowance details separately here
    Oomph Unlimited Data SIM
    Originally posted by Astar1809
    We are paying 35 for a sky month, (but that's on a discount/deal)
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Hi
    they are any better. Has anyone had experience of NOW tv broadband.
    Originally posted by creditcard123

Loads of NOW TV BB posts on the forum .
    Twenty years of price rises ?? have you never renegotiated your contract .

Loyal just means you pay over the odds .
    • bill888
    • By bill888 24th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    bill888
    • 24th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 24th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    NOW is the budget subsidiary of SKY broadband. The dated rebadged Sky Q hub provided by NOW is not great for its wifi. NOW don't offer 200mb fibre if you really need such ultrafast fibre speeds.

Have you considered using 3rd party wifi solutions, such as low cost Tenda NW3 mesh system if 'coverage' is more important than 'max speed' across wifi, to far more expensive solutions such as Netgear Orbi product range?
    Last edited by bill888; 24-10-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    • creditcard123
    • By creditcard123 24th Oct 19, 10:49 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    creditcard123
    • 24th Oct 19, 10:49 AM
    • 24th Oct 19, 10:49 AM
    I have negotiated over the years but has probably been over 3 years since I did it.
    The wifi signal drops off then comes back on have a new router and boosters all over house. I am studying with open university so need to be connected at all times.
    Also there are 7 of us in house with 4 of them aged 18-23 whose lives revolve around wifi..
    I am on phone at moment to VM so hopefully will get something sorted
    Que Sera, Sera
    • cranford
    • By cranford 24th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    cranford
    I took up the VM ultimate oomph package at 99 even though I wont need to use the limitless sim until month 11 of the contract. It was cheaper than my existing deal and gave me a second box, sky cinema, extras speed and of course the sim. The cheapest limitless sims around seem to be about 21.
    However after 12 months you need to haggle again as the price goes up to 140 a month.
    • creditcard123
    • By creditcard123 24th Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    creditcard123
    Oomph package is only available to existing customers.
    I am going to try again over the weekend as only got offered a reduction of 9.
    Que Sera, Sera
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 24th Oct 19, 12:37 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I would recommend NOW TV BB too
    • ACDeag
    • By ACDeag 24th Oct 19, 12:41 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    ACDeag
    Hi guys

I have been a loyal customer of Virgin Media for over 5 years straight with having M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk More Anytime package but now I am getting sick and tired of paying there prices.. I have just noticed that my discount for remaining a customer is coming to an end by the end of November and going back to 57.49 and I think that is way too much...

One of the reasons why I haven't really gone with anyone else is that most other internet providers wants you to have to a phone line up and running and then you can use them... Which in my own head would mean more cost pay, paying two companies, instead of just paying one... (Could be totally wrong)

Also we have got a sky tv package.. So not sure if I should use them..

In short I am in need of real help to get an affordable internet and phone
    Originally posted by byronwells
    Without knowing what is available in your area it would be hard to recommend anything. My brother could get Virgin Media up to 350Mbps but using an Openreach line all he would ever have been able to get would be 11Mbps.
    • byronwells
    • By byronwells 24th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    byronwells
    Why is so many people hijacking this post and not answering the actual question in regards to find a better internet provider and deal than what I am getting at virgin media...
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 24th Oct 19, 12:50 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    littleboo
    Broadband will only be as good as the BT cooper wire lines, different providers are unlikely to make a big difference, Fibre is the future and with Virgin you get a dedicated fibre line point to point where as other "fibre" providers offer fibre to the green box on your road than the bandwidth gets choked on the copper wire from the green box to your home offering very little noticeable difference.. Also you mention Wifi is bad, now do you mean the service going to the WIFI box is bad or the WIFI box is bad and delivering the signal to the house. two different problems with two different solutions.
    BIB, most of Virgins network is not fibre to the home, its fibre to the cab and copper coax to the property. Virgin have a record of mismanagement of their hybrid network so that over subscription causes street level congestion which can go one forever. Their more recent network expansion is mainly full fibre.
    • ACDeag
    • By ACDeag 24th Oct 19, 12:51 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    ACDeag
    Why is so many people hijacking this post and not answering the actual question in regards to find a better internet provider and deal than what I am getting at virgin media...
    Because you haven't given much info.

1. Is fibre available from BT or others
    2. Do you need 100Mb still or near

I suggest you look yourself at https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ or similar.
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 24th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Astar1809
    BIB, most of Virgins network is not fibre to the home, its fibre to the cab and copper coax to the property. Virgin have a record of mismanagement of their hybrid network so that over subscription causes street level congestion which can go one forever. Their more recent network expansion is mainly full fibre.
    Originally posted by littleboo
    I can only strongly disagree based on my two experiences with Virgin Media, originally and after the house move we have had a separate line installed a coaxial cable I believe but far far superior to the copper wire other suse that was designed to carry voice only. (I can trace the cable to the green box) and the difference has been phenomenal both times. We have two kids who play online games that require solid and quick connection and me and the wife to be have often been streaming/playing online game sat the same time two with zero faults, skips, pauses or restrictions on band width. We have tried Sky, BT and Talk Talk in our time and after having an independent technician try and find a fault (at my own cost) it was explained to me the chocking point was the green box to the house.

I have no ties to Virgin Media but credit where credit is due my 3 years experience with them has been superb internet wise (customer service is a bit slow but i'd rather that then slow internet) and I could not recommend them highly enough for the fibre service.
    • ACDeag
    • By ACDeag 24th Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    ACDeag
    I can only strongly disagree based on my two experiences with Virgin Media, originally and after the house move we have had a separate line installed a coaxial cable I believe but far far superior to the copper wire other suse that was designed to carry voice only. (I can trace the cable to the green box) and the difference has been phenomenal both times. We have two kids who play online games that require solid and quick connection and me and the wife to be have often been streaming/playing online game sat the same time two with zero faults, skips, pauses or restrictions on band width. We have tried Sky, BT and Talk Talk in our time and after having an independent technician try and find a fault (at my own cost) it was explained to me the chocking point was the green box to the house.

I have no ties to Virgin Media but credit where credit is due my 3 years experience with them has been superb internet wise (customer service is a bit slow but i'd rather that then slow internet) and I could not recommend them highly enough for the fibre service.
    I would agree, you are paying for a premium service compared with others. If you really want the cheapest go for TalkTalk but I think you will regret it.
    • byronwells
    • By byronwells 24th Oct 19, 1:39 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    byronwells
    Because you haven't given much info.

1. Is fibre available from BT or others
    2. Do you need 100Mb still or near

I suggest you look yourself at https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ or similar.
    Originally posted by ACDeag
    I am not sure about other companies offering fibre here
    Well it is only me and my partner that live here, we were giving 100mb free ages ago.. Not sure how much we use per month.. Is there anyway that I can find out??
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 24th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Astar1809
    I am not sure about other companies offering fibre here
    Well it is only me and my partner that live here, we were giving 100mb free ages ago.. Not sure how much we use per month.. Is there anyway that I can find out??
    The figure is not about how much you use, rather the speed at which it can be downloaded and uploaded. The 100mb refers to speed not volume.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

6,742Users online

Martin's Twitter