I am sick of tired of paying Virgin Media Prices

Options
Hi guys

I have been a loyal customer of Virgin Media for over 5 years straight with having M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk More Anytime package but now I am getting sick and tired of paying there prices.. I have just noticed that my discount for remaining a customer is coming to an end by the end of November and going back to £57.49 and I think that is way too much...

One of the reasons why I haven't really gone with anyone else is that most other internet providers wants you to have to a phone line up and running and then you can use them... Which in my own head would mean more cost pay, paying two companies, instead of just paying one... (Could be totally wrong)

Also we have got a sky tv package.. So not sure if I should use them..

In short I am in need of real help to get an affordable internet and phone

Comments

• bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2019 at 12:01PM
    Options
    You can get phone and broadband, ordered at same time from a single company, particularly the larger ISPs can offer this service. Note there will be a new connection charge as you don't currently have an old BT (openreach) phone line. This fee varies from £0 to £130. It is to cover cost of an Openreach engineer.

If you take phone AND broadband from BT, there is no new connection fee. I think Sky charge something like £20 but don't quote me. Plusnet, Talktalk and Vodafone are around £60.

There are usually some good deals around Black Friday week.

I would also check what 'estimated' fibre speed is available to your property. Anything less than 30mb for 'VDSL' for 'Downstream' suggests you are on a long phone line and could be unreliable if you are unlucky.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Consider also whether your existing phone number can be moved from VM to another provider. Sometimes it is not possible.

In our experience over past few years, 100mb cable from VM is normally 'circa' £25 pm (+£2 with line rental, weekend calls) on a retention deal, BUT you have to give 30 days notice to cancel everything, and HOPE the Outbounds team phone you with an offer within 2-4 days typically. Otherwise, you have to 'uncancel' the cancellation (keeping old contract) and repeat the process if they don't call or you miss their calls before the 30 days is up.... You won't get such retention offers by phoning and speaking to VM customer services.
  • Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    How much do you pay for Sky?

I pay for the ultimate oomph package and get two boxes, all sky sports all by sports, all movies, 400 Fibre broadband AND a sim card with unlimited everything all for £99 a month. once you combine a full TV package, a mobile sim contract thats unlimited, Top level fibre broadband and phone line all rolled in it saves so much money for us. Details of package below.

Television:
    1 Maxit TV
    Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
    Maxit TV
    Kids Pick
    Sky Sports and Cinema Collection
    Personal picks
    Sky Sports HD Pack
    Broadband:
    M500 Fibre Broadband
    Telephone:
    Talk More Anytime
    Free Voicemail
    Telephone Line Rental
    Mobile:
    As you've selected one of our Oomph SIM bundles, we will bill your monthly tariff here alongside your other Virgin Media services. You can view your mobile usage and allowance details separately here
    Oomph Unlimited Data SIM
  • creditcard123
    Options
    Hi
    VM have just put my bill up again it is now £112:mad: I have been a customer for over 20 years in 3 different properties.
    The wifi is awful.
    I have a TiVo box and V6 box
    No sports or cinema channels apart from basic ones
    M200 broadband
    I am now looking at other providers but not sure if they are any better. Has anyone had experience of NOW tv broadband.
    Que Sera, Sera
  • Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    VM have just put my bill up again it is now £112:mad: I have been a customer for over 20 years in 3 different properties.
    The wifi is awful.
    I have a TiVo box and V6 box
    No sports or cinema channels apart from basic ones
    M200 broadband
    I am now looking at other providers but not sure if they are any better. Has anyone had experience of NOW tv broadband.

Broadband will only be as good as the BT cooper wire lines, different providers are unlikely to make a big difference, Fibre is the future and with Virgin you get a dedicated fibre line point to point where as other "fibre" providers offer fibre to the green box on your road than the bandwidth gets choked on the copper wire from the green box to your home offering very little noticeable difference.. Also you mention Wifi is bad, now do you mean the service going to the WIFI box is bad or the WIFI box is bad and delivering the signal to the house. two different problems with two different solutions.
  • byronwells
    Options
    Astar1809 wrote: »
    How much do you pay for Sky?

I pay for the ultimate oomph package and get two boxes, all sky sports all by sports, all movies, 400 Fibre broadband AND a sim card with unlimited everything all for £99 a month. once you combine a full TV package, a mobile sim contract thats unlimited, Top level fibre broadband and phone line all rolled in it saves so much money for us. Details of package below.

Television:
    1 Maxit TV
    Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
    Maxit TV
    Kids Pick
    Sky Sports and Cinema Collection
    Personal picks
    Sky Sports HD Pack
    Broadband:
    M500 Fibre Broadband
    Telephone:
    Talk More Anytime
    Free Voicemail
    Telephone Line Rental
    Mobile:
    As you've selected one of our Oomph SIM bundles, we will bill your monthly tariff here alongside your other Virgin Media services. You can view your mobile usage and allowance details separately here
    Oomph Unlimited Data SIM

We are paying £35 for a sky month, (but that's on a discount/deal)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi
    they are any better. Has anyone had experience of NOW tv broadband.

Loads of NOW TV BB posts on the forum .
    Twenty years of price rises ?? have you never renegotiated your contract .

Loyal just means you pay over the odds .
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2019 at 11:03AM
    Options
    NOW is the budget subsidiary of SKY broadband. The dated rebadged Sky Q hub provided by NOW is not great for its wifi. NOW don't offer 200mb fibre if you really need such ultrafast fibre speeds.

Have you considered using 3rd party wifi solutions, such as low cost Tenda NW3 mesh system if 'coverage' is more important than 'max speed' across wifi, to far more expensive solutions such as Netgear Orbi product range?
  • creditcard123
    Options
    I have negotiated over the years but has probably been over 3 years since I did it.
    The wifi signal drops off then comes back on have a new router and boosters all over house. I am studying with open university so need to be connected at all times.
    Also there are 7 of us in house with 4 of them aged 18-23 whose lives revolve around wifi..
    I am on phone at moment to VM so hopefully will get something sorted
    Que Sera, Sera
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I took up the VM ultimate oomph package at £99 even though I wont need to use the limitless sim until month 11 of the contract. It was cheaper than my existing deal and gave me a second box, sky cinema, extras speed and of course the sim. The cheapest limitless sims around seem to be about £21.
    However after 12 months you need to haggle again as the price goes up to £140 a month.
  • creditcard123
    Options
    Oomph package is only available to existing customers.
    I am going to try again over the weekend as only got offered a reduction of £9.
    Que Sera, Sera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport