Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 30th Sep 19, 11:47 AM
    • 305Posts
    • 489Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    The Great Big Green Discussion Thread
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:47 AM
    The Great Big Green Discussion Thread 30th Sep 19 at 11:47 AM
    Hi, This is a thread to allow people to discuss Green technologies, theories about Global Warming, and anything else people want to discuss - Green or otherwise.

It's here to take some of the strain from the other threads to prevent them being taken off-topic. Let's keep this for lively discussion and the other threads for information, news and other Green & Ethical items.
    Last edited by pile-o-stone; 16-10-2019 at 1:27 PM.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
Page 1
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 30th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    Whoa - I think you've missed some of the central points here......

I thought we were going to solve the climate problem (which is probably a bit hypothetical given that humanity is going to end when we're overrun by AI robots) through the use of nuclear powered personal hover boards that double up as heating appliances? And I thought we'd agreed that only rich right-wingers would be allowed to use them, with poor people and lefties being forced to move 100 miles away to Yorkshire and live a life of self-reliance shovelling coal into power stations? And as for Johnny foreigner - well who cares?

Or did I lose the thread of the discussion somewhere along the way?

I guess there's only one way to settle this - let's take opposing views and insult each other for a few days....
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 30th Sep 19, 12:06 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    1961Nick
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:06 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:06 PM
    I'm off to buy a nuclear powered electric scooter so I'll make a pointless contribution when I return if that's ok.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141) - 30 pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 30th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    I guess there's only one way to settle this - let's take opposing views and insult each other for a few days....
    Originally posted by mmmmikey
    haha, more like a few months now
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 30th Sep 19, 12:12 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:12 PM
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone

No, no, no - you're supposed to question my parentage at this stage or we'll never get started.....
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 30th Sep 19, 12:12 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    1961Nick
    I still think you're being overly optimistic.....

• Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 30th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    What a ridiculous idea, nuclear scooters ffs
    Surely everyone knows nuclear is only good at heating things, not any form of propulsion.

However if you had a nuclear rivers, heated by nuclear cooling waters, then the hover boards may work in a similar way to para gliders where they are kept aloft by the thermals, and get a lovely suntan while you surf/hover, and if you wanted to leave the rivers, and still hover, then of course we would utilise interconnectors, as everyone knows, they solve everything.

Any leftie cry babies that wont get onboard (get it) with this, can stfu
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 30th Sep 19, 1:13 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    GreatApe
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:13 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:13 PM
    What a ridiculous idea, nuclear scooters ffs
    Surely everyone knows nuclear is only good at heating things, not any form of propulsion.

However if you had a nuclear rivers, heated by nuclear cooling waters, then the hover boards may work in a similar way to para gliders where they are kept aloft by the thermals, and get a lovely suntan while you surf/hover, and if you wanted to leave the rivers, and still hover, then of course we would utilise interconnectors, as everyone knows, they solve everything.

Any leftie cry babies that wont get onboard (get it) with this, can stfu
    Originally posted by Solarchaser

All we need to do is inject a very small amount of nuclear materials into your chest for six months of the year

This will generate about 15 watts of heat which will be carried to the rest of your body via your blood circulation

The result will be that everything feels 10 centigrade warmer
    The 5 centigrade UK winters will feel like 15 centigrade spring
    No more need for central heating of homes or offices

For the cry baby lefties who aren't man enough to get a nuclear injection I suppose we can make them an external version they strap on to their yellow bellies like a nuclear hot water bottle

Global warming solved by human heating
    Easy peezee lemons squzzee
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 30th Sep 19, 1:20 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    1961Nick
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:20 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:20 PM
    All we need to do is inject a very small amount of nuclear materials into your chest for six months of the year

This will generate about 15 watts of heat which will be carried to the rest of your body via your blood circulation

The result will be that everything feels 10 centigrade warmer
    The 5 centigrade UK winters will feel like 15 centigrade spring
    No more need for central heating of homes or offices

For the cry baby lefties who aren't man enough to get a nuclear injection I suppose we can make them an external version they strap on to their yellow bellies like a nuclear hot water bottle

Global warming solved by human heating
    Easy peezee lemons squzzee
    Originally posted by GreatApe
    This sounds potentially dangerous & I think we should use primates to trial the science.

• GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 30th Sep 19, 1:26 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    GreatApe
    This sounds potentially dangerous & I think we should use primates to trial the science.
    Originally posted by 1961Nick
    There is no time the world is ending didn't you get the memo from Greta?

We must embrace nuclear hot water bottles today!!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 30th Sep 19, 1:31 PM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 36,780 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Originally posted by 1961Nick
    May I respectfully suggest the vagrants who have homed in on Manchester & I believe there are a few more test subjects in the House of Commons.

Leave Lady Hale well alone. We all know radioactivity & spiders lead to appalling cinematic productions...
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Sep 19, 3:58 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 14,721 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    May I respectfully suggest the vagrants who have homed in on Manchester & I believe there are a few more test subjects in the House of Commons.

Leave Lady Hale well alone. We all know radioactivity & spiders lead to appalling cinematic productions...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Just curious, but what would homelessman Man have as a superpower?

[The QI alarm will be blown if anyone answers 'solving AGW'.]
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Sep 19, 5:20 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 14,721 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hi, This is a thread to allow people to argue about things in the belief that their time is not wasted because World Leaders subscribe to MSE and read and then act upon their views on Nuclear powered heating, that Fossil Fuels Are Great (or not), Global Warming, Climate Change, Flat Earth, Space blinds that block the Sun, AI, Robots, Terra-form machines that extract Carbon from the atmosphere and all the other pointless nonsense that is clogging up the other threads on the board.

Have at it, world influencers!
    P-o-S, who had 'less than 5hrs' in the pool?

I was silly and thought the threesome might last 12hrs+.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 30th Sep 19, 6:39 PM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 36,780 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    The vagrants I most object to are those attending political party conferences...
    • Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 30th Sep 19, 8:31 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    Yeah I think you missed the point of the tory party conference being in Manchester this week Mart. ;-)
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 30th Sep 19, 9:31 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    1961Nick
    Just curious, but what would homelessman Man have as a superpower?

[The QI alarm will be blown if anyone answers 'solving AGW'.]
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    I think you've inadvertently solved AGW Mart ... Homeless man doesn't use any FF ... so if we were all homeless - no AGW.

So brilliant I'm surprised GA didn't think of it.

Today is Monday (Needed to post something pointless).

• pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 1st Oct 19, 9:34 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Yes I agree - his posts appear to be deliberately provocative. I did at one stage think he might be a bona-fide loony (so backed off a bit in case he is) but reading some of the recent posts I think he is just trolling as you say. My policy going forward will be to reply once if I think his comments merit it, but after that to heed the standard "don't feed the trolls" advice.
    Originally posted by mmmmikey
    Internet trolls are the same people who stand on street corners shouting into the wind. They're the result of the failed 'care in the community' policy that effectively abandoned them. They need to be treated with sympathy and gentleness. With the street shouters, most people will walk by, a very few lovely people will stop and try to help, but no one will stop and start shouting back. Well, unless they have also got mental issues.

I think people who use forums have to recognise this and either be the people who quietly walk past, or the people who help. They should stop being the people who shout back.

the troll knows that his time is not spent productively, he said as much in his 'goodbye post'. Recognition of a problem is the first step on the journey to recovery. I hesitate to say this, but that sort of 'goodbye forum, I'm deleting my account' statement is worrying. The threat to destroy yourself whether in real life or via an online avatar is obviously a red flag for anyone who works in the care profession.

(copied the above quote from the GE in the news thread as that's for GE in the news)
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 1st Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    Internet trolls are the same people who stand on street corners shouting into the wind. They're the result of the failed 'care in the community' policy that effectively abandoned them. They need to be treated with sympathy and gentleness. With the street shouters, most people will walk by, a very few lovely people will stop and try to help, but no one will stop and start shouting back. Well, unless they have also got mental issues.

I think people who use forums have to recognise this and either be the people who quietly walk past, or the people who help. They should stop being the people who shout back.

Thank-you for this measured perspective - wise words, I'm sure. It's too easy to fall into the trap of shouting back, which is something I have been guilty of.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 1st Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    JKenH
    Who one considers to be a troll or to be trolling depends on how their point of view fits with your own. Mart frequently accuses me of trolling.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs )
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 1st Oct 19, 11:52 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Who one considers to be a troll or to be trolling depends on how their point of view fits with your own. Mart frequently accuses me of trolling.
    Originally posted by JKenH
    I guess only you know your motivations for posting on here. However, I did a quick search on the forum and found:

Search: Keyword(s): mart ; Posts Made By: JKenH. Showing results 1 to 25 of 76

So you have used the work 'mart' in 76 of your posts. It does smack of an obsession with an individual on the forum.
    Last edited by pile-o-stone; 01-10-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,929Posts Today

7,270Users online

Martin's Twitter