Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 622Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Callum
    44 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    44 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 9:45 AM
    Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking £200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
    Read the full story:
    'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Nick R; 03-10-2019 at 4:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 21
    • bufferz
    • By bufferz 12th Oct 19, 6:51 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    bufferz
    Anyone who paid by direct debit got a refund yet? Or are we all waiting until Monday?
    • roogster
    • By roogster 14th Oct 19, 5:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    roogster
    I paid dd and haven’t recieved anything yet
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 14th Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Friend got it this morning
    • Nala89
    • By Nala89 14th Oct 19, 7:54 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Nala89
    I paid Direct Debit and received £580.06 back on Friday, still owed £343.18 from DD's so hopefully goes in today.
    • dalo
    • By dalo 14th Oct 19, 11:59 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    dalo
    No email or refund for DD yet...

I did cancel my direct debit the day they went bump as it was due out two days later. Will this have any effect do you think? I wasn't going to let the bank take another payment! Hope I did the right thing.
    • roogster
    • By roogster 14th Oct 19, 12:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    roogster
    I just rang them and they said refunds will be ongoing for direct debit customers until 8 tonight
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 12:29 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bradders1983
    In the last two weeks there has been a huge misconception that cancelling the DD means you wont be getting a refund, and I have never understood why.

People do realise that money can be put in any bank account solely from the sort code and account number and these details would have been given to set up the DD, yes?
    • dalo
    • By dalo 14th Oct 19, 12:58 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    dalo
    In the last two weeks there has been a huge misconception that cancelling the DD means you wont be getting a refund, and I have never understood why.

People do realise that money can be put in any bank account solely from the sort code and account number and these details would have been given to set up the DD, yes?
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    I only asked, because every time I switch suppliers for energy, I am always in credit so I cancel my DD, and they always send me a cheque refund never a bank transfer! Also, when people are out of pocket, some quite substantially, it's not a huge misconception, not everyone is aware how banking works and many people are worried.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Thats because energy companies are awkward, they have your sort code and account number from time of signup so in theory there is absolutely nothing stopping them making bank credits for balances at the end of an energy tariff.
    • roogster
    • By roogster 14th Oct 19, 3:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    roogster
    I just had my £2229 refunded. Only just now and I never recieved an email
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 14th Oct 19, 4:12 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I just had my £2229 refunded. Only just now and I never recieved an email
    Originally posted by roogster
    Good news, happy to hear you got a refund
    • dalo
    • By dalo 14th Oct 19, 5:08 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    dalo
    I received mine now! As others no email. But relieved.
    • Nala89
    • By Nala89 14th Oct 19, 7:24 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Nala89
    Still waiting on my balance. Worried they think I've had everything back
    • lilacshoes
    • By lilacshoes 15th Oct 19, 7:27 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    lilacshoes
    No refund
    No still no refund - final direct debit was taken on the day of TC collapse,so full holiday amount owed. I've checked emails and bank this morning and still no payment received so I've submitted a claim this morning. Holiday was due to take place mid November.
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 15th Oct 19, 7:56 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    tberry6686
    Email recieved from Atol yesterday.

Looks like if you had a dd payment come out close to the collapse day then it will be the end of the week for repayment.

We are aware that you made payments to Thomas Cook by direct debit, which included a payment on or around the date the company ceased trading (23 September 2019). Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to automatically refund these payments as the data we need in order to process the refund was not immediately available from Thomas Cook.

Donít worry, you are still entitled to a refund for your direct debit payments, and we aim to have these processed by the end of this week. You do not need to take any further action.

Thank you for bearing with us while we complete this large scale travel refund scheme. We are doing everything we can to process all refunds as quickly as possible.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 15th Oct 19, 8:04 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bradders1983
    ...which is still a hell of a lot quicker than the other route, yet people are still moaning like the world has ended.
    • Nala89
    • By Nala89 15th Oct 19, 9:18 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Nala89
    Right need a bit of assistance if someone could help. I have now received all my DD payments but I had made a couple of payments by Debit Card as well. I understand I need to make a claim but the claims form asks just general questions about my booking. How would i go about only claiming the card payments?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 15th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Use the claim form? They will know how much you have had back already.
    • Nala89
    • By Nala89 15th Oct 19, 9:30 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Nala89
    Ok so just put the whole holiday through and allow them to do the work on it. Was just worried when they say on their website that any incorrect info will make the claim longer but I'm just being pedantic
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 15th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Right need a bit of assistance if someone could help. I have now received all my DD payments but I had made a couple of payments by Debit Card as well. I understand I need to make a claim but the claims form asks just general questions about my booking. How would i go about only claiming the card payments?
    Originally posted by Nala89
    Two options.

1) Complete ATOL form, but if there is no place to explain what you are claiming for and that the payment was made part DD, part card it might just be confusing. But you should try this first.

2) Got to your card provider and initiate a chargeback for the card payments; I assume you paid Thomas Cook directly and not an intermediary? Details if you don't know what chargeback is can be found here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/ You may need to explain to them why you are not going via ATOL, but if you have your evidence that because you paid partially through DD that you did not get all of your money back then they should process it.

Hope that helps. Seems odd that advice was given for one payment method and not what happens if you had mixed payments. Above all though, keep a detailed record of payments made and payments refunded as you may need this evidence for either ATOL or the bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

9,789Users online

Martin's Twitter