Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• N4t4lie
    Options
    Not sure if it’s quite the right thing but I do have a five letter code that I can login onto the direct Virgin website and choose my plane seats etc.

I did explain this to the Virgin rep over Facebook messenger which he said was normal and that all bookings will do this but that the tickets have still not been issued.

I may be wrong, but when LowCost went under, anyone with an airline code could still use their flights as they had been paid for. I find it quite odd that an airline as big as Virgin cannot tell you if they have received the money for your flight and that you are still able to take it.

Did you book flight only with TC or is it a package holiday, that could be the difference?

In all these situations it can take a few days for the company to work out a coherent policy and work out what to do. Keep asking till you get a clear answer and check that you flight code is still accessible, but you might need to be a bit patient for a few days for all the details to shake down.

Does sound very odd as the code is basically your ticket these day.
  • teezie
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    If the card payment is on an automatic charge your best bet is to contact Love Holidays to get it stopped.

Yeah i've heard that people have been on the phone for hours unable to get through so was thinking I'd be better off speaking to the credit card company in the first instance.

Not worrying too much about the refund time, but would be nice if we could be notified by email (rather than through social media), so we can get on and at least try to rebook something else.
  • ChrisMC_2
    Options
    What does that really mean? In my previous posts I noted I booked a package holiday, including flights with TUI. Thomas Cook provided the flights to TUI. TUI made us pay for Flight Extras through the Thomas Cook website, no option to pay through TUI's. TUI said I need to claim back through ATOL, not through them. However, I was provided with an ATOL certificate for TUI but nothing for Thomas Cook, so, according to ATOL, I can't claim back any of those costs. So was my package holiday ATOL protected? - a bit was but not everything. What are people in this position supposed to do as there is little to no advice?
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    trev1865 wrote: »
    i need to speak with a live person at thomas cook.all phone contact numbers are messages only.any ideas?

The company you’re trying to contact doesn’t exist anymore, so you can’t.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    teezie wrote: »
    Yeah i've heard that people have been on the phone for hours unable to get through so was thinking I'd be better off speaking to the credit card company in the first instance.

Not worrying too much about the refund time, but would be nice if we could be notified by email (rather than through social media), so we can get on and at least try to rebook something else.

Actually that might be best. See if they can block it somehow?

In all the cases I have seen with holiday companies going under it takes most of the first week for everyone to get their ducks in a row and until then information is hard to come by. I am aware of the frustration especially when you'd like to sort out an alternative holiday. Hang in there, it will sort itself out.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    ChrisMC wrote: »
    What does that really mean? In my previous posts I noted I booked a package holiday, including flights with TUI. Thomas Cook provided the flights to TUI. TUI made us pay for Flight Extras through the Thomas Cook website, no option to pay through TUI's. TUI said I need to claim back through ATOL, not through them. However, I was provided with an ATOL certificate for TUI but nothing for Thomas Cook, so, according to ATOL, I can't claim back any of those costs. So was my package holiday ATOL protected? - a bit was but not everything. What are people in this position supposed to do as there is little to no advice?

Use chargeback to get a refund for the extras, go straight to your card provider and explain which transaction was direct with TC for services you can no longer receive. Treat these as separate to the original booking which will be refunded by ATOL.

If you need to know more about chargeback there is a really good page on it on the main website.

Hope that helps.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ChrisMC wrote: »

I would get back on to TUI and remind them that your contract was with them and the atol cert is from them. My understanding (which may be wrong) is that they should be offering you (all) your money back or to rebook your flights. There may be an extra cost to the flights and that should give you the option to cancel or to pay the extra.

I think your flight extras won't be honoured, but you may be able to do a chargeback on them if they came to more that £100.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • marshybeans
    Options
    Mine was a package holiday. Have since been told again via their helpline mobile number that the flights are not valid and i’m waiting for an email to confirm the situation with the flights.

I’d rather just go ahead and rebook at this point but I don’t want to rebook and then get left having to pay for the virgin flights still.
  • Kas
    Options
    Hi

I checked the emails and Thomas Cook didn’t send the ATOL certificate with my booking, I never would have known that until I checked when they went under.

I know it’s covered my trip that was cancelled as it was a package holiday but Without the certificate I may not be able to claim.

The CAA number is just automated messages you can speak to anyone, would they have the number in file maybe if one was issued.

I saw something on web that says they need it but they would consider claims on case by case basis but that doesn’t reassure me as i could wait 2 months to hear they won’t pay out.

How many people print this ATOL certificate out and take it on holiday as I certainly never had before and been holidaying broad 30 years.

Has anyone else had this problem before it are they in same boat and wasn’t sent one maybe?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kas wrote: »
    Hi

I checked the emails and Thomas Cook didn’t send the ATOL certificate with my booking, I never would have known that until I checked when they went under.

I know it’s covered my trip that was cancelled as it was a package holiday but Without the certificate I may not be able to claim.

The CAA number is just automated messages you can speak to anyone, would they have the number in file maybe if one was issued.

I saw something on web that says they need it but they would consider claims on case by case basis but that doesn’t reassure me as i could wait 2 months to hear they won’t pay out.

How many people print this ATOL certificate out and take it on holiday as I certainly never had before and been holidaying broad 30 years.

Has anyone else had this problem before it are they in same boat and wasn’t sent one maybe?

We always have BUT never never expected to use it although we were in Turkey when our holiday company went belly up, ATOL got us home no bother,hope you get your money back,we are still waiting for ours from TUI but they have been in touch and said it will happen in the next few days
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure