Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lauraairving11
    • By Lauraairving11 3rd Aug 19, 7:29 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lauraairving11
    Help please. Tax free childcare
    • 3rd Aug 19, 7:29 AM
    Help please. Tax free childcare 3rd Aug 19 at 7:29 AM
    This is my first time posting but Iím in need of help urgently. Iíve made a big mistake which I wasnít aware of.
    Basically up until now Iíve been paying for 15 hours for my now 2 year old and then breakfast club for my 5 year old. A total of around £75 a week.
    I work 20 hours per week and my partner works 40. Iíve applied for 30 hours free childcare as my youngest is about to turn 3 and when Iíve done this Iíve applied for tax free childcare at the same time. Stupidly I didnít read into this and just thought it was a scheme that I could put money into and get a top up from the government. I never had any intentions of using it I just thought it could be handy.
    Because Iíve applied for tax free childcare all of my tax credits have now been stopped. Iíve spoken to tax credits and tax fre childcare lots of times and been told different things. One person told me to ring tax free childcare and close my account, this could then reinstate my tax credits. I called them and he said he couldnít do that but if I started applying for universal credits at the end it would have an option to ďreinstate my tax creditsĒ this didnít sound right so I didnít do it. Iíve called tax free childcare back and theyíre just basically saying thereís nothing I can do other than apply for universal credit. Iíve used the online calculator and I will be loosing over £100 per week all because Iíve clicked one button by mistake. I know I shouldíve properly looked into this and please donít give me hate as I already am so frustrated and upset about this. Iíve just sat and worked it out that I would actually be better off continuing to just pay the £75 week and getting tax credits than to even get the 30 hours. Family and friends have been looking after my daughter whilst Iím at work and I only applied for the 30 hours so that I could stop asking people to have her. This has caused me so much stress I donít even know how weíll survive on this money. The universal credit calculator says weíll get £14 a week my sons childcare is £20 a week on its own!!! Is there any advice anyone can give please? Can I completely shut my tax free childcare account and cancel the 30 hours? I know itís my own mistake but I donít believe thereís no way out of this by accidentally clicking one wrong button. Please help Iím at my wits end. Thank you.
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 3rd Aug 19, 7:32 AM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    _shel
    • 3rd Aug 19, 7:32 AM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 7:32 AM
    This is my first time posting but Iím in need of help urgently. Iíve made a big mistake which I wasnít aware of.
    Basically up until now Iíve been paying for 15 hours for my now 2 year old and then breakfast club for my 5 year old. A total of around £75 a week.
    I work 20 hours per week and my partner works 40. Iíve applied for 30 hours free childcare as my youngest is about to turn 3 and when Iíve done this Iíve applied for tax free childcare at the same time. Stupidly I didnít read into this and just thought it was a scheme that I could put money into and get a top up from the government. I never had any intentions of using it I just thought it could be handy.
    Because Iíve applied for tax free childcare all of my tax credits have now been stopped. Iíve spoken to tax credits and tax fre childcare lots of times and been told different things. One person told me to ring tax free childcare and close my account, this could then reinstate my tax credits. I called them and he said he couldnít do that but if I started applying for universal credits at the end it would have an option to ďreinstate my tax creditsĒ this didnít sound right so I didnít do it. Iíve called tax free childcare back and theyíre just basically saying thereís nothing I can do other than apply for universal credit. Iíve used the online calculator and I will be loosing over £100 per week all because Iíve clicked one button by mistake. I know I shouldíve properly looked into this and please donít give me hate as I already am so frustrated and upset about this. Iíve just sat and worked it out that I would actually be better off continuing to just pay the £75 week and getting tax credits than to even get the 30 hours. Family and friends have been looking after my daughter whilst Iím at work and I only applied for the 30 hours so that I could stop asking people to have her. This has caused me so much stress I donít even know how weíll survive on this money. The universal credit calculator says weíll get £14 a week my sons childcare is £20 a week on its own!!! Is there any advice anyone can give please? Can I completely shut my tax free childcare account and cancel the 30 hours? I know itís my own mistake but I donít believe thereís no way out of this by accidentally clicking one wrong button. Please help Iím at my wits end. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Lauraairving11
    Silly mistake but absolutely nothing's no you can do to reinstate your tax credits. New claims are no longer allowed. You would need to claim universal credit.
    • Lauraairving11
    • By Lauraairving11 3rd Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lauraairving11
    • 3rd Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    I know Iím very frustrated. Tax credits told me if tax free childcare close my account it can be reinstated. I havenít even started using the tax free or the 30 hours thereís got to be some way to rectify this. I genuinely donít know how weíll survive on universal credit.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 3rd Aug 19, 8:03 AM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    _shel
    • 3rd Aug 19, 8:03 AM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 8:03 AM
    I know Iím very frustrated. Tax credits told me if tax free childcare close my account it can be reinstated. I havenít even started using the tax free or the 30 hours thereís got to be some way to rectify this. I genuinely donít know how weíll survive on universal credit.
    Originally posted by Lauraairving11
    There isn't. You can close the account but not reinstate tax credits. Universal credit will go up and down depending on your income that month if you have variable income.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,629Posts Today

7,019Users online

Martin's Twitter