Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 8th Mar 19, 1:55 AM
    • 2,373Posts
    • 1,144Thanks
    Chrysalis
    0 WOW
    min spend online sane amount not 40+ where?
    • 8th Mar 19, 1:55 AM
    0 WOW
    min spend online sane amount not 40+ where? 8th Mar 19 at 1:55 AM
    So all the supermarkets now seem to want to cater to families or rich single people only, 40 min or 25 min with large premium on delivery.

A way round it is to order less often, but means issues getting things like milk when disabled.

Also means a less healthy diet, as then buying things like fresh fruit and salad less often as they dont last 2-4 weeks.

Is there anywhere that delivers For 25 or lower with delivery charge of under 2? Not amazon pantry which is cupboard food only.
Page 2
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th Mar 19, 4:02 PM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    KxMx
    Do you have a local Milkman? We have Milk & More in our area, they are pricey but don't have a minimum order and deliver free.

https://www.milkandmore.co.uk

Iceland do a good range of fresh, tinned, household goods etc. Minimum basket 25, delivery is 2 or free if you spend over 35.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 18th Mar 19, 1:57 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    The last time I considered Cravendale its price was much more than "normal" milk and the expiry dates were shorter than for "normal" milk on the adjacent shelf. Its shelf life may be longer but much of that time may already have passed. In a shop one can check the expiry date but having it delivered runs the risk of paying a higher price for a product that expires sooner.
    Originally posted by alanq

That's not my experience at all. I only buy filtered milk from various shops, including the own brand versions and I have never seen filtered milk with a BB date earlier than non filtered fresh milk.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe

As an example Morrisons online:
    Morrisons Semi-Skimmed - Guaranteed life 6 days (average 8)
    Cravendale - Guaranteed life 7 days (average 21)
    So, depending on ones luck, one could receive Cravendale that lasts 7 days and non-Cravendale that lasts 8 days or more.
    (All periods include the day of delivery)
    Last edited by alanq; 18-03-2019 at 2:03 AM.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 23rd Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    The service you want IS available but clearly you aren't happy that it is a more expensive service. Perhaps unfortunately that has to be viewed as one of the additional costs of disability and something the related benefits could be used for. I think the Tesco charge for orders below 40 is 4. If you had to pay someone to go shopping for you I doubt 4 would cover it. If you look at it that way then the price perhaps doesn't seem too bad.

I know you want 'perfection' for yourself here - very low cost deliveries for small orders but unfortunately business models will never be all things to all people. At the other end of the scale, my Tesco drivers have mentioned local businesses such as care homes or nurseries placing massive orders which take up a whole van and throw out the logistics side.

Have you considered my fruit and veg box idea? Our local greengrocer will send a box pretty much to the value you want , the frequency you want and the contents you want. Free delivery within a couple of mile radius. Fruit boxes from 4.50, Veg/Salad from 7, bespoke ones based on item prices. They also sell eggs and a few other bits and bobs.
    Originally posted by warby68
    Thats an interesting idea, if you had already mentioned it, then I probably didnt take it in, thanks. I will definitely try contacting local greengrocers.

In regards to tesco I feel their quality has just got too low, their prices are definitely not on the low side, but the quality has tumbled and they now not even prepared to put their name on their value branded value food using fake brand names instead which they will probably cycle when the complaints roll in.

I have used asda for 3 orders now, not as good quality as waitrose/ocada (I accept that tho as they are cheaper), but is definitely better quality than tesco, and also dates are much much better as well, typically double the amount of days.

In addition someone kindly sent me a private message with some good advice as well which I will action upon.

Your idea and the other idea if they workout probably both combined will solve the problem.

Then I could do a 40 order once in a blue moon.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 23-04-2019 at 4:09 PM.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 25th Apr 19, 10:30 AM
    • 5,228 Posts
    • 9,833 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Apparently supermarkets profit is only 1-3 %, not the hughe amount people think it is.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 26th May 19, 11:41 AM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,497 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    So all the supermarkets now seem to want to cater to families or rich single people only, 40 min or 25 min with large premium on delivery.

A way round it is to order less often, but means issues getting things like milk when disabled.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Nonsense. Many single person households have to juggle the cost/ practicality of visiting a supermarket in person, against the cost/ practicality of ordering groceries online.

UHT milk is decent now.

Are you in receipt of PIP or other disability benefit? These are intended to help you (us) with things like grocery shopping: online, in person, by proxy.

Also means a less healthy diet, as then buying things like fresh fruit and salad less often as they dont last 2-4 weeks.
    Nonsense. Frozen fruit and vegetables are as healthy or healthier than fresh, and a huge range is available now. Ditto some tinned or dried fruit and vegetables are as healthy or healthier than fresh. Frozen soft fruits are often cheaper than the fresh equivalent.

Many single person households have issues with certain fruit and vegetables spoiling. So we plan our meals accordingly.

Bananas and avocados can be frozen. Oranges and apples last well in a cool spot out of the refrigerator. Nectarines, mango, pineapple last ages in the refrigerator. Dried pear, golden sultanas and dried apricots are tastier than the fresh equivalent IMO.

I dont have the option of self shopping. Hence using delivery.

What about salad?

e.g. cucumber goes all soft if I try to keep it 2 weeks.
    Be more creative or adventurous with your salads in the second and third week. Official guidelines are to eat a really wide variety of different foods. Romaine and red gem lettuces last longer than some other lettuces.

Cheap nutritious vegetables that work well RAW in salads include carrot, red cabbage, cauliflower, Savoy cabbage, red onion, beetroot, celery and bell peppers. All can be made to last weeks in the refrigerator, or the excess can be chopped or grated and frozen for soups, stews or smoothies.

Longer life fruits that lend themselves well to salad in combination with the above vegetables include apples, oranges, ruby red grapefruit, various dried fruit (apricot/ cranberries/ cherries/ raisins/ sultanas).

HTH!
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 26-05-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 26th May 19, 11:49 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Can you really freeze Bananas!!??? Who knew!!??

When is it best to...when they're still green, or at just before the point you'd like to eat them??
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 26th May 19, 12:06 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,497 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Can you really freeze Bananas!!??? Who knew!!??

When is it best to...when they're still green, or at just before the point you'd like to eat them??
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Depends what you want to do with them. Always peel them first tho.

Overripe only really work for smoothies or baked bananas. You can do either straight from frozen if you cut the 'nana to the desired shape/ size before freezing.

Perfectly ripe bananas make amazing banana 'ice cream' (no added sugar or dairy, just 'nana). Freeze whole or halved, eat slightly defrosted. Even better coat in melted dark chocolate and chopped nuts.

I never buy green bananas, but I bet someone out there on the interwebz has advice on freezing them (or not if it does not work).

HTH!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 26th May 19, 12:21 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I was hoping just for eating, rather than making them into something.

Maybe I'll just try it and see?! I have one I plan to eat tomorrow... I'll peel it cut it in half and freeze it, then defrost Tuesday morning for a works snack.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 26th May 19, 8:08 PM
    • 9,253 Posts
    • 17,247 Thanks
    calleyw
    Perfectly ripe bananas make amazing banana 'ice cream' (no added sugar or dairy, just 'nana). Freeze whole or halved, eat slightly defrosted. Even better coat in melted dark chocolate and chopped nuts.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox

Put frozen banana in a food processor/blender with some peanut butter, cocoa powder and blitz yum yum

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 29th May 19, 6:52 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I was hoping just for eating, rather than making them into something.

Maybe I'll just try it and see?! I have one I plan to eat tomorrow... I'll peel it cut it in half and freeze it, then defrost Tuesday morning for a works snack.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Well, as a snack to eat, that was an unmitigated disaster. Don't try this at home folks. What defrosted was a watery, overripe, brown, mush. I wouldn't have wanted to put that in a smoothy, cake or otherwise. Maybe the banana was too ripe already (it was perfect to eat at the point of freezing)

That's not making it onto my list of "Top Tips"
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 2nd Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    JCS1
    I still think the claims its loss making is a myth, there is a reason the high street is dieing, and that is its more expensive to sell things from a shop than it is a warehouse, but of course the likes of tesco are doing it wrong I agree with you there, they shouldnt be doing it from supermarkets but instead from warehouses for home home deliveries.

Also the word "loss" can be abused. One company I worked for would treat failure to meet profit targets as a loss so e.g. if the target was 1 million profit for the month and we made 800k profit for the month, then the shop floor staff would be told we made a 200k loss, highly misleading. No doubt in the case of supermarkets families are more profitable which is why they been targeted so heavily, but I think its gone too far.

The issue is as well its not just salad, but also other things I like which come with very low self life (yes when in the fridge), I would like to buy these things more often than once every 3-4 weeks.

I am using my last ocada voucher today, after that I will be looking at both asda and morrisons, I dont think iceland do salad. Since morrisons use warehouses I am leaning towards using them.

Interestingly ocada are parting ways with waitrose, all I will say on that is that waitrose branded food is very good quality. Miles above tesco branded food, so I hope ocada dont regret that decision.
    The section I have highlighted - Tesco have fulfilment centres in some locations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

8,019Users online

Martin's Twitter