Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 8th Mar 19, 1:55 AM
    • 2,358Posts
    • 1,139Thanks
    Chrysalis
    0 WOW
    min spend online sane amount not 40+ where?
    • 8th Mar 19, 1:55 AM
    0 WOW
    min spend online sane amount not 40+ where? 8th Mar 19 at 1:55 AM
    So all the supermarkets now seem to want to cater to families or rich single people only, 40 min or 25 min with large premium on delivery.

A way round it is to order less often, but means issues getting things like milk when disabled.

Also means a less healthy diet, as then buying things like fresh fruit and salad less often as they dont last 2-4 weeks.

Is there anywhere that delivers For 25 or lower with delivery charge of under 2? Not amazon pantry which is cupboard food only.
Page 1
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 8th Mar 19, 7:38 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    • 8th Mar 19, 7:38 AM
    • 8th Mar 19, 7:38 AM
    It doesn't mean a "less healthy diet" at all; fruit and veg stay fresh in the fridge for a couple of weeks or longer, potatoes about 3 months. Milk has a shelf life of about 1.5 weeks, processed foods for people who don't cook, longer. You can always get long life milk and fruit juices; and most other items last for months anyway.

There are always things to stock up, toilet rolls, cleaning materials, etc which will only go up in price over time anyway.

Best plan is always to shop yourself and not use home delivery; that way you get the best fruit and veg, can spend what you like, and if you're on a budget as you clearly are from your comments then you can go in the evenings when things are reduced - you can often get meat about 1/3 off or bread at about 20p instead of 1 that way - that's shopping smart.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 8th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 8th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    • 8th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    If it helps, fresh filtered milk like Cravendale lasts a long time compared to regular fresh milk. You can also freeze fresh milk.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 8th Mar 19, 8:35 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 11,068 Thanks
    warby68
    • 8th Mar 19, 8:35 PM
    • 8th Mar 19, 8:35 PM
    I think Iceland's min is 25 for 2 - 35+ and its free. Never used them though and no idea if its a full enough offering. I think the rest are 40 min. There's also the milk round type grocery service whose name escapes me but I suspect their prices are offputting.

I'm having the same debate with my 84y old mum - trying to get her to let me order her basic groceries to be delivered every month or so. She insists 40 is too much for her on her own. She just can't seem to get her head round less frequent shops and stocking up a bit - she's stuck with a weekly shop idea or nothing.

I think if disability prevents you from shopping it would be worth trying to make the 40 work - there isn't much that couldn't last 2 weeks if it had to and 20 a week isn't a lot . You could perhaps have a weekly fruit & veg box to top up - our local shop does them much cheaper than the likes of Abel & Cole.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 9th Mar 19, 8:59 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    • 9th Mar 19, 8:59 AM
    • 9th Mar 19, 8:59 AM
    I suggest that you check out ASDA. Although its minimum delivery is 40 in some areas it is only 25 in others. (Delivery pass always requires 40). The charge for deliveries starts at 1 depending on the time of day and day of the week and area. Currently I am being offered 1 after 6pm for Wednesday 13th. Every day Mon 11th-Thursday 14th 9pm-11pm slots are 1.
    Last edited by alanq; 09-03-2019 at 9:18 AM.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 9th Mar 19, 9:14 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    • 9th Mar 19, 9:14 AM
    • 9th Mar 19, 9:14 AM
    If it helps, fresh filtered milk like Cravendale lasts a long time compared to regular fresh milk.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    The last time I considered Cravendale its price was much more than "normal" milk and the expiry dates were shorter than for "normal" milk on the adjacent shelf. Its shelf life may be longer but much of that time may already have passed. In a shop one can check the expiry date but having it delivered runs the risk of paying a higher price for a product that expires sooner.
    Last edited by alanq; 09-03-2019 at 9:28 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Mar 19, 11:45 AM
    • 20,971 Posts
    • 124,307 Thanks
    maman
    • 9th Mar 19, 11:45 AM
    • 9th Mar 19, 11:45 AM
    Also means a less healthy diet, as then buying things like fresh fruit and salad less often as they dont last 2-4 weeks.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis

Frozen and canned fruit and veg is just as healthy (sometimes more so) than fresh. You could eat the fresh stuff first and then have other alternatives for later in the month.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 9th Mar 19, 2:15 PM
    • 9,252 Posts
    • 17,235 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 9th Mar 19, 2:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 19, 2:15 PM
    You do realise that supermarkets make a loss on internet orders. As they have to run vans, extra staff to pick and staff to drive the vans.
    Hence they don't want people ordering 1 worth of stuff for delivery.

If I remember it was the op who moaned about why could not get some of their shopping after ordering on-line. Could not seem to grasp that the pickers can only pick what is on the shelf at the time of the order pick. Seemed to think that goods should be removed from the shelves just for internet shoppers.

If you run out of a dedicated warehouse then fine. But do you expect someone to check the orders and go on to the shop floor and pick what is low in stock. And hold it back just for internet orders.

Always pro's and con's to everything. I shop in store as I shop in aldi and go once a week takes approx 45 max from home to back again and putting away. And yes some times they run out of items I want. So I pick an alternative or go with out.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Mar 19, 7:41 PM
    • 20,971 Posts
    • 124,307 Thanks
    maman
    • 9th Mar 19, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Mar 19, 7:41 PM
    You do realise that supermarkets make a loss on internet orders. As they have to run vans, extra staff to pick and staff to drive the vans.

If I remember it was the op who moaned about why could not get some of their shopping after ordering on-line. Could not seem to grasp that the pickers can only pick what is on the shelf at the time of the order pick. Seemed to think that goods should be removed from the shelves just for internet shoppers.

If you run out of a dedicated warehouse then fine. But do you expect someone to check the orders and go on to the shop floor and pick what is low in stock. And hold it back just for internet orders.

Always pro's and con's to everything. I shop in store as I shop in aldi and go once a week takes approx 45 max from home to back again and putting away. And yes some times they run out of items I want. So I pick an alternative or go with out.

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw
    IIRC OP has a disability so finds it difficult to shop in person.

Supermarkets are businesses and customer service has become a joke in the large chains. Staff are massively reduced and prices are increased just because they can.

Like you, I shop at Aldi. Without knowing much about OP's disability, it might be better value to get a taxi to Aldi!
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 9th Mar 19, 10:55 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    The last time I considered Cravendale its price was much more than "normal" milk and the expiry dates were shorter than for "normal" milk on the adjacent shelf. Its shelf life may be longer but much of that time may already have passed. In a shop one can check the expiry date but having it delivered runs the risk of paying a higher price for a product that expires sooner.
    Originally posted by alanq
    That's not my experience at all. I only buy filtered milk from various shops, including the own brand versions and I have never seen filtered milk with a BB date earlier than non filtered fresh milk.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 9th Mar 19, 11:06 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Frozen and canned fruit and veg is just as healthy (sometimes more so) than fresh. You could eat the fresh stuff first and then have other alternatives for later in the month.
    Originally posted by maman
    Yes, frozen is fine and freezing techniques have advanced so much over the years that the taste and texture has improved considerably.

Sometimes it is what food it is canned with is that's the issue. Tinned fruit in syrup etc but plenty of healthy options choose.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 11th Mar 19, 1:37 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    I don't believe for one moment internet shopping is worth much less to supermarkets or make a loss on such orders - supermarkets make a very good margin on food and inflate prices when they can get away with it. Internet orders means an easy way for pickers to take the less good items off the shelves as people who shop in person will only take the best items with longest best-by dates, which means internet customers are given the option of getting a refund on an item they wanted but arrives a bit small or not great, or taking it; supermarkets gain as a way to dispose of less good items that way (otherwise in spite of their promises of internet customers getting the best quality with longest best-by dates, they don't?).

The staff in the store picking internet orders would be employed by the supermarket to probably man the checkouts more if those people bought from the store as they used to, so if there isn't a difference in staff numbers then that isn't an extra cost to the business, if a delivery van is kept busy all the time then their costs would be more than met by delivery costs customers pay.

If it weren't in their interests they wouldn't do it.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 11th Mar 19, 9:19 PM
    • 7,706 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    KxMx
    I too am slightly cynical about supermarket costs for home delivery.

Obviously it costs more than the few I pay for delivery, but they never factor in to their calculations customers like me, who use them online, but have other supermarkets nearer.

If they were to stop offering delivery my money wouldn't go to them, but the closest shop.

As to the OP, we are a two person household, but we do a monthly shop online and top up fresh items in-between locally.

Loads of things can be frozen and I'll often buy say a family pack of ham, and portion it out into freezer bags.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Mar 19, 6:29 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    It doesn't mean a "less healthy diet" at all; fruit and veg stay fresh in the fridge for a couple of weeks or longer, potatoes about 3 months. Milk has a shelf life of about 1.5 weeks, processed foods for people who don't cook, longer. You can always get long life milk and fruit juices; and most other items last for months anyway.

There are always things to stock up, toilet rolls, cleaning materials, etc which will only go up in price over time anyway.

Best plan is always to shop yourself and not use home delivery; that way you get the best fruit and veg, can spend what you like, and if you're on a budget as you clearly are from your comments then you can go in the evenings when things are reduced - you can often get meat about 1/3 off or bread at about 20p instead of 1 that way - that's shopping smart.
    Originally posted by Bacman
    I dont have the option of self shopping. Hence using delivery.

What about salad?

e.g. cucumber goes all soft if I try to keep it 2 weeks.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Mar 19, 6:37 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    Chrysalis

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw
    I still think the claims its loss making is a myth, there is a reason the high street is dieing, and that is its more expensive to sell things from a shop than it is a warehouse, but of course the likes of tesco are doing it wrong I agree with you there, they shouldnt be doing it from supermarkets but instead from warehouses for home home deliveries.

Also the word "loss" can be abused. One company I worked for would treat failure to meet profit targets as a loss so e.g. if the target was 1 million profit for the month and we made 800k profit for the month, then the shop floor staff would be told we made a 200k loss, highly misleading. No doubt in the case of supermarkets families are more profitable which is why they been targeted so heavily, but I think its gone too far.

The issue is as well its not just salad, but also other things I like which come with very low self life (yes when in the fridge), I would like to buy these things more often than once every 3-4 weeks.

I am using my last ocada voucher today, after that I will be looking at both asda and morrisons, I dont think iceland do salad. Since morrisons use warehouses I am leaning towards using them.

Interestingly ocada are parting ways with waitrose, all I will say on that is that waitrose branded food is very good quality. Miles above tesco branded food, so I hope ocada dont regret that decision.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 12th Mar 19, 7:28 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 11,068 Thanks
    warby68
    The service you want IS available but clearly you aren't happy that it is a more expensive service. Perhaps unfortunately that has to be viewed as one of the additional costs of disability and something the related benefits could be used for. I think the Tesco charge for orders below 40 is 4. If you had to pay someone to go shopping for you I doubt 4 would cover it. If you look at it that way then the price perhaps doesn't seem too bad.

I know you want 'perfection' for yourself here - very low cost deliveries for small orders but unfortunately business models will never be all things to all people. At the other end of the scale, my Tesco drivers have mentioned local businesses such as care homes or nurseries placing massive orders which take up a whole van and throw out the logistics side.

Have you considered my fruit and veg box idea? Our local greengrocer will send a box pretty much to the value you want , the frequency you want and the contents you want. Free delivery within a couple of mile radius. Fruit boxes from 4.50, Veg/Salad from 7, bespoke ones based on item prices. They also sell eggs and a few other bits and bobs.
    • Dean000000
    • By Dean000000 12th Mar 19, 7:49 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Dean000000
    I reject that retailers only cater for rich people or families....

End of the day, they are in business to make money, and are not charities.

They will view a 25 basket of goods at (say) 12.50 profit, + 4 delivery - less the cost it actually is to get it there....easily 15....so 1.50 profit.

(Add up pickers time, checkout time, delivery driver time, offloading and returning to store, the person billing and/or that computer systems maintenance and repair)

Take a 40 basket, and using the same logic, profit is 20 + 4 delivery. Delivery is still 15 cost to them, resulting in 9 profit.

There are merely setting a minimum to offset the expected loss on delivery.

So theoretically, they’d have to charge 12.50 for delivery to be in the same profit position on a 25 basket....

Which of course would be ‘unfair’

Figures above are illustrative, I have no insight of profit margins
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Mar 19, 9:51 AM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    Carrot007
    but of course the likes of tesco are doing it wrong I agree with you there, they shouldnt be doing it from supermarkets but instead from warehouses for home home deliveries.

Some are (cannot vouch for tesco but other certaianly are). However only in areas it makes a profit to do it in.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Mar 19, 2:53 PM
    • 7,834 Posts
    • 15,882 Thanks
    Farway
    I dont think iceland do salad.
    Mine does, but TBH the offerings are not ones I would chance to a "picker", OK to choose your own
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 12th Mar 19, 3:02 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Do you have a local supermarket or fruit & veg shop, butchers etc, as a number of these do delivery locally for free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,383Posts Today

7,706Users online

Martin's Twitter