Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 9th Nov 07, 1:06 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion
    • 9th Nov 07, 1:06 PM
    Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion 9th Nov 07 at 1:06 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Boiler Cover

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:21 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 27
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 6th Nov 18, 11:23 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    ....there's no point in getting a service contract...
    Originally posted by dickbob
    I agree! Save yourself a lot of money by putting what you’d pay in premiums in a savings account.

When we had the really cold spell earlier this year, the companies providing boiler cover couldn’t cope. If I remember correctly it took BG weeks to fix some boilers.
    • sillisteve
    • By sillisteve 21st Nov 18, 10:32 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sillisteve
    British gas quoted me £366 for renewal of Homecare boiler/plumbing/electricity cover due December. I rang and pointed out that November 2018 deal for new customers was only £211 for Homecare400 (same cover) subject to post code, so wished to CANCEL (without penalty) existing and become NEW customer. Immediately they said don't cancel, we will requote and offered me £216 (single annual payment) with a £60 excess on all call outs instead of existing excess £50 on non boiler call outs. A phone call asking for fair play for loyal customers saved me £150! As Martin says, it pays to haggle with insurance renewals.
    • gravers007
    • By gravers007 30th Nov 18, 3:29 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gravers007
    I see myself as a pretty savvy moneysaver but must admit boiler cover has got me very confused!!

It seems like almost every big company has poor feedback!

Is there a consensus on who offers a good quality product? I've found a company called row.co.uk, but can't seem to see them mentioned anywhere on these forums. Their reviews online seem to be positive, but would be great to hear from fellow moneysavers!

Thanks in advance
    • Henry-Root
    • By Henry-Root 30th Dec 18, 2:06 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Henry-Root
    What to do to cover Central Heating but not boiler?
    Having installed a brand new boiler which is excellent I find that I am still getting problems elsewhere in the system - pipes, stats, radiators etc.

I was on Homecare which worked fine but cancelled this as the new boiler has a 7 year warranty.

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem please? I don't really want to pay for a contract which covers too much in fact BG like many others will not cover new boilers which are covered by mfrs warranty.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    If a job needs doing, do it
    • dogfonos
    • By dogfonos 30th Dec 18, 7:07 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dogfonos
    Having installed a brand new boiler which is excellent I find that I am still getting problems elsewhere in the system - pipes, stats, radiators etc.

I was on Homecare which worked fine but cancelled this as the new boiler has a 7 year warranty.

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem please? I don't really want to pay for a contract which covers too much in fact BG like many others will not cover new boilers which are covered by mfrs warranty.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Originally posted by Henry-Root
    I've not heard of central heating cover minus the boiler. As you've discovered, cover seems to start with boiler only, then gradually increases in cost to include more of the heating and plumbing system.

I would question the purpose of such insurance anyway. Paying insurance cover for anything results in higher cost for the average consumer. Insurers make money out of their clients - that's their business model. Consumers take out insurance when they can't afford to suffer the potential financial loss if a particular thing (or system) breaks.

Home insurance cover, I understand because most of us couldn't afford to rebuild our properties in the event of a catastrophe without insurance. But in this instance, what's your maximum possible financial outlay? The boiler is covered by the manufacturer's warrantee so we're talking radiators, controls, pipework, tanks/expansion vessels etc. Surely any problems with the heating system wouldn't cost much to put right, should the worst happen?
    • prince_5450
    • By prince_5450 2nd Jan 19, 3:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    prince_5450
    Who to go with?
    I've been looking for some time now before we move to a new property. Looking online and here all of them seem to have lots of negative reviews, which makes me wonder should I just save cash each month for a worst case scenario???

The other issue I have is the almost inevitable price hike you'll get after 1 year! Seeing all the posts of 20-50% price hikes is ridiculous. I did notice a company called YourRepair allow you to fix the price but would I be better going for the bigger companies, British Gas, Homeserve?
    • ironmanjason
    • By ironmanjason 8th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ironmanjason
    I am moving into my first own property later this month and I am a bit confused.. having rented until now I never had to take any boiler cover.. the boiler is about 5-6 years old now (its a greenstar cdi if I remember on the top of my head).. I am tempted to take the boiler, central heating, plumbing and electrical cover at least for my 1st year until I get my foot around managing my own property etc.. How is British gas in this? I can see they have an offer for this at just over £18 a month for 1 year... However I can also see there is a £100 cashback when i get this via topcashback so there by coming to just over £10 for the first year.. any advise is appreciated
    • Mwilliams93
    • By Mwilliams93 9th Jun 19, 10:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mwilliams93
    Sp
    Scottishpower have really good insurance at the minute... they have teamed up with Domestic and General and provide a fast reliable service from as little as £5 per month (depending on your level of cover). The top package is £19.75 however they have 6 months half price at £9.75.

They also do appliance cover too!

If your an SP customer they have a tariff providing lowest unit rates and standing charges and includes Boiler cover for £9.

Well worth looking into... I have a friend who works their who highlighted them to me.

Will give up to £750 towards a new Boiler if yours is beyond repair
    • Warbdaniel
    • By Warbdaniel 23rd Jul 19, 8:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warbdaniel
    I've just seen this now buddy, I didn't expect you to post it on here! Glad it's working out for you!

Not sure if you are still watching this, but it's been a while! We should catch up sometime!!!
    • Countdown23
    • By Countdown23 3rd Oct 19, 11:44 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Countdown23
    Alternatives to Hive?
    I’m stuck with a mighty annual fee (£640) for boiler and central heating cover with British Gas (not my energy supplier). I say stuck, because when they fitted the boiler 5 years ago it came with Hive for free and If I switch cover to something more realistic I will lose Hive. Is there a cheaper alternative to Hive that gives me remote setting (which I consider a must)?
    • von Plonker
    • By von Plonker 14th Oct 19, 2:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    von Plonker
    Alternatives to Hive?
    How will you lose Hive? Do you have a monthly subscription? If so you should be able to cancel it, and continue to have access to your heating from remote locations as long as you have Internet (broadband or SIM-based) in (i) your home and the Hive is connected to it, and (ii) at the remote location(s).
    • desisaver
    • By desisaver 29th Oct 19, 11:53 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    desisaver
    Boiler, heating, plumbing and electrical cover?
    Hi All,

Moving from Homecare 400 as they want a ridiculous price for renewal. I have the following choices and wondering if anyone had any personal experiences/recommendations/stay away warnings -

1. EDF Energy Total Protect

2. Homeserve

3. 24/7 Home Rescue

TIA
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 29th Oct 19, 12:46 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Mister G
    Hi All,

Moving from Homecare 400 as they want a ridiculous price for renewal. I have the following choices and wondering if anyone had any personal experiences/recommendations/stay away warnings -

1. EDF Energy Total Protect

2. Homeserve

3. 24/7 Home Rescue

TIA
    Originally posted by desisaver
    Start here!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5141494
    • desisaver
    • By desisaver 29th Oct 19, 5:58 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    desisaver

Scam central looks like! Looks like you pay peanuts and you get monkeys!

Thanks again @Mister G
    • moley1a
    • By moley1a 6th Nov 19, 1:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moley1a
    24/7 - consider carefully before taking the plunge...
    Have boiler, C/H & Annual service package.

Had the annual service, which identified a small fault and the engineer logged it.
    Just found out that anything identified in the annual service isn't covered.

Advised in the T&C, page 5 section 14....states anything identified in the service that cannot be repaired will incur extra costs (as I read it, I'm thinking that means the Flue which would need to work to make the boiler safe...)

Called the sales team and they confirmed any defects identified in the annual service would be included.

raised a complaint, and wait to hear....
    • moley1a
    • By moley1a 6th Nov 19, 1:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moley1a
    Only consider 24/7 after checking the T&C - if they identify a fault in the annual service, it wont be covered....they'd consider it remedial work.

Happened to me, and in the quotes I obtained from other engineers all said the part should be covered under the contract. It's down to the way they generate income by vaguely worded T&C.
    • the_bandit
    • By the_bandit 30th Nov 19, 10:21 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    the_bandit
    Scottish Power highest level of cover with £0 excess. (Teamed up with D&G)

Boiler, Radiator & Service Care (Boiler must be <15yr old at new policy start)

£9.75/month for the first 7 months then £19.50/month
    £165.75 for the year

Other levels of cover and excess available with lower premiums.

https://quote.scottishpower.co.uk/energy-services/boiler?category=boilerinsurance&CC=products

Features:

Annual service to help maintain your boiler
    Ongoing maintenance hints and tips
    24/7 UK based helpline for remote support
    Onsite visits if your boiler fails the annual service or stops working
    Gas Safe registered engineers
    A replacement boiler worth up to £750, if required*
    12 month plan
    £0 call out fee (other call out fee options available)
    Radiators & valves
    Last edited by the_bandit; 30-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,031Posts Today

8,645Users online

Martin's Twitter