Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ForgiveSomeone
    • By ForgiveSomeone 16th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ForgiveSomeone
    A few millimeters of water after rain.
    • 16th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    A few millimeters of water after rain. 16th Jul 18 at 10:43 PM
    Hi all,

Recently bought my first house with my partner. The weather has been wonderful and sunny, but we've had a couple of rainy days. We went into the cellar after said rain and noticed that there was a puddle of water, around 2 or 3 mm deep at the front of the cellar, which hadn't spread across the whole floor.

Having investigated it further, I can see that it is coming in from the left corner of the house (if looking at the house from the road), which is where our drain is.

Just wondering what the best course of action is in getting this looked at and/or remedied. It isn't necessarily a massive problem, and I accept that others have worse problems, but I'd like to sort it before we get into the really rainy seasons.

Cheers
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 17th Jul 18, 6:25 AM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Furts
    • 17th Jul 18, 6:25 AM
    • 17th Jul 18, 6:25 AM
    Impossible to give an answer, but first investigate the drain. Is it blocked? Does it need cleaning out? Does it need rodding? Where does it go to? Is there a manhole that it runs into?

Basiclly you are trying a process of elimination. You think it is the drain causing your problem, and you are trying to establish if this is the case.

If no isssues are found here then time for a re-think.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 17th Jul 18, 6:51 AM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 7,367 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 17th Jul 18, 6:51 AM
    • 17th Jul 18, 6:51 AM
    Impossible to give an answer, but first investigate the drain. Is it blocked? Does it need cleaning out? Does it need rodding? Where does it go to? Is there a manhole that it runs into?

Basiclly you are trying a process of elimination. You think it is the drain causing your problem, and you are trying to establish if this is the case.

If no isssues are found here then time for a re-think.
    Originally posted by Furts
    Blocked drain is almost certainly the right answer.

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,934Posts Today

8,794Users online

Martin's Twitter