Zoom Telecom advice please

Comments

• They're still at it, they have taken £21.21 out of my elderly & confused Mum's bank account. They rang her a few weeks ago & conned her into giving her debit card number and have used that to set up a direct debit. There's no paperwork or contract anywhere in her house. I only found out about it yesterday when checking her latest bank statement. Fortunately I have LPA and her bank have been very quick to cancel the direct debit but aren't sure they can get the original payment back as mum supposedly gave authorisation when she gave her debit card number. I've also contacted BT who have confirmed they won't accept a cancellation request on her account. Surely they can be prosecuted for this scam?
  • Exactly the same thing happened to my 88 year old Mum, she was contacted by "the bank", who wanted her debit card details, name, address and date of birth, when she asked why she was told it's just procedure. Although she has dementia she had the presence of mind to let me know what she had done, I've got LPA so was able to stop her card. The bank told me to keep an eye on the direct debits and lo and behold one week later a direct debit for Zoom Telecom was set up. I cancelled it straight away and informed the fraud section at HSBC
  • Journo_Leah
    Journo_Leah Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2017 at 10:08AM
    Hi everyone, I have permission to post here as a journalist. I'm writing about people's experiences of small telecoms companies - I recently wrote something about True Telecom in the Daily Mail. I'm freelance, but working at the Mail at the moment.
    Please direct message me with a contact email so that I can look into your issues with Zoom Telecom and others. I'd really like to investigate. I don't think I'm allowed to post my email address so do message me and I'll send it to you individually.
    Approved Journalist
    I’m a journalist. MSE has given permission for me to post asking for people to help with a story I'm working on. You can see my name on the Companies/organisations/journalists with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my individual posts or employer by MSE
  • Spurs_2015
    Spurs_2015 Posts: 33 Forumite
    I noticed my 82 year old Mother had £21 taken out of her account for three months, I cancelled the direct debit because I have POA and when I checked her bank tonight it's been reinstated and they are still taking money! Myself nor my Mother have set up another DD so how are they doing it?
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2017 at 3:53PM
    Spurs_2015 wrote: »
    I noticed my 82 year old Mother had £21 taken out of her account for three months, I cancelled the direct debit because I have POA and when I checked her bank tonight it's been reinstated and they are still taking money! Myself nor my Mother have set up another DD so how are they doing it?
    I'm not sure how they'd be able to take more money as they have to contact you for authorisation to reinstate it. Was it definitely stopped in the first place, or has this maybe not been done properly and they are just continuing to take the money under the original DD? I'd be contacting the bank again to complain, and get them to cancel it again.
  • I received a phone call about 2-3 weeks ago from this company asking me if I was getting unsolicited calls and withheld numbers. I said I was and they said that I needed to re-register my telephone blocking plan. I did unfortunately give the caller my current account details and the security number from the back of the card.
    I have just noticed a payment of £21.21 (direct debit) has been paid from this account. I did not authorise any payments. I have cancelled the payment on line now.
    I am not sure if I need to do anything else or if I am able to have this money refunded.
    Thanks
  • JWJ
    JWJ Posts: 1 Newbie
    My 90 year old mother has recently been signed up by Zoom Telecom for a TPS, I have POA and only found out when checking her bank statement, a new 1st direct debit payment for £21.21 on 130617 had been set up. My Mum had no recollection of a conversation regarding this service, is unable to give her debit card number over the phone ( since I have erased the last 4 digits following previous telephone financial abuse mainly from charities and TPS services) however even with out this information Zoom Telecom have been able to set up a direct debit, possibly with date of birth and ? account number!! There was no paperwork linked with this "TPS service" and after a quick search on line it is clear this "company " is linked globally with financial abuse. When I checked companies house Zoom Telecom was dissolved in January 2017.

I telephoned Zoom Telecom and only by selecting the sales option on the menu did I get to speak to anyone ( apparently all calls are recorded), they were clear that they had done nothing wrong saying that my mother agreed to the service at the end of May and that the cooling off period had ended, when I asked to hear the recording of the conversation they had had with my mum they were evasive. I handle all of my Mum's correspondence, online shopping etc and I know how patient and manipulative / plausible ? they must have been to obtain any details from her , her normal response to cold callers is to put the phone down. Going back to my conversation with Zoom Telecom, I was extremely angry I know it is not a significant amount of money but it is the fact that they have been able to access Mum's bank account at all and how devious they must have been. This is not the first time this has happened , so what protection can be offered to older people from this type of scam, particularly those that are not technically savy and in the face of businesses that target the vulnerable.

I have stopped the direct debit via the building society who had not heard of this company.
    This situation also raises the issue of facilitating a degree of financial independence for older people who are able to manage day to day transactions but gives a measure of security. I asked the building society whether they had any products such as preloaded / limited cash cards ie no 16 digit number or account number on them which would enable chip & pin transactions and cash withdrawls from ATM , but sadly not. So will have to continue erasing digits off pre-existing card!

Apologies for the rant my main issues are :

- what can be done to protect vulnerable people predominantly older generation from this type of financial abuse?
    - what are the banks / building societies doing to provide products which enable older customers to maintain some day to day financial management with limited associated risks.

If anyone has found a solution to the latter please share.

I would be happy to be share details in any investigation regarding this company.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This may not be the same company; however, according to Companies House:

Zoom telecom
    Registered office address
    Bridge House, 2 Bridge Avenue, Maidenhead, Berkshire, United Kingdom, SL6 1RR
    Company status
    Dissolved
    Dissolved on
    24 January 2017

http://www.zoomtelecom.co.uk/
  • Mary53
    Mary53 Posts: 1 Newbie
    My mother too has been victim to this scam. We were going through her bank statement and I spotted it - 2 payments of £21.21. She has no idea how this has happened - she is completely on the ball and can spot a scam a mile off. The only thing we can think was when "BT" contacted her to say they could stop nuisance calls - when she agreed (wouldn't we all) her entire phone line was blocked and she had to spend an hour the following day to BT sorting it out. BT need to be aware of this too. I loathe these people - how can they live with themselves? I'm struck that all people targeted on this thread are elderly. Please please spread the word about this. I am.
  • My 93 year old mum was harassed, being bombarded with phone calls from this company until she submitted and gave them her bank details. I was furious! And so much for a 30 day cooling off period. Direct debit set up within a couple of weeks and £21.21 removed from her account. She's not even sure what she's signed up to - thinks it might be TPS. When she realised what she'd done she was embarrassed and angry that she'd been duped. She had several sleepless nights, worrying that her bank account might have been cleared out, before confessing what she'd done.

The good news is that I went straight to her bank, Barclays, and as a third party signatory was able to speak to the bank who were excellent. Not only did they cancel the direct debit, they have also blocked the company and retrieved the £21.21.

That said, I remain dissatisfied that Zoom Telecom continues to be allowed to operate in this way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure