Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shamsan
    • By Shamsan 3rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    • 153Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Shamsan
    Zoom Telecom advice please
    • 3rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    Zoom Telecom advice please 3rd Sep 16 at 8:07 PM
    A company called Zoom Telecom has started taking money from the bank account of my very elderly mother in law. We believe this was a company that called her about 6 weeks ago, but of course although she knew she had been called, she could remember nothing about the conversation.

She is on the TPS, the call came from a blocked number (the first thing I and my brother in law told her to try), there has been no direct debit mandate paperwork, no contact, no receipt, nothing. (One thing she is good at is not throwing away paperwork, and we have been round several times since the call.) And the phone numbers given on the firm's website both cut off shortly after a message about being recorded.

Can anyone tell me anything about this firm or advise what we can do to get these payments stopped? She already has a good phone/internet contract with the company that the rest of the family uses, which facilitates calls between us. Unfortunately we cannot get hold of them either at this time on a Saturday.

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 3rd Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    • 8,753 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 3rd Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    • 3rd Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    If you don't already have a Lasting Power of Attorney you may need it. You could then call the bank and ask proof of the (direct debit?) having been authorised. Never mind who the company is, concentrate on getting payments reversed/blocked.
    • Shamsan
    • By Shamsan 4th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Shamsan
    • 4th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 4th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    Thanks. It was worth pointing out, as they can do something about the problem. BUT first, guess what, the Nationwide agent said we didn't have power of attorney (it's been in place since 2014), then she asked the supervisor and reported that "we only had power of attorney linked to some accounts" (she only has an account linked to her current account) and THEN put us through security, we gave all the right answers, and she said we had failed security. As far as I can make out, that was because she was looking at the present balance and MY MUM ONLY HAD THE LAST BANK STATEMENT they sent, so how could she know her balance today?

Now I understand why this company regularly gets the Daily Mail Wooden Spoon. And they are supposed to be improving their service to relatives acting for disabled people.

Now I will have to go into a branch tomorrow and find out what is happening. Eventually by calling again we found someone on the "Helpline" who appeared to know what they were talking about, and helped to forward the enquiry, but we don't need this kind of stress (and I am sure the agents don't, either.)

I now also know from her telecomms supplier that the company that "signed her up" IS trying to move her account, and gives a completely different name to the one on the direct debit. Apparently they use lots of different names. The agent at the phone company had heard about them.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 4th Sep 16, 7:09 PM
    • 8,753 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:09 PM
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:09 PM
    If you have proper LPA documents it's the most routine of matters to get any & all accounts authorised for you to manage, this fact should apply to all brands of bank. If they require a certified copy you can get that copy certified at a larger post office for £7 or so, or free at a Jobcentre. I've found that walking into a bank branch to get to the point is the most effective.
    • Shamsan
    • By Shamsan 5th Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Shamsan
    • 5th Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    • 5th Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    If you have proper LPA documents it's the most routine of matters to get any & all accounts authorised for you to manage, this fact should apply to all brands of bank. If they require a certified copy you can get that copy certified at a larger post office for £7 or so, or free at a Jobcentre. I've found that walking into a bank branch to get to the point is the most effective.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    They nearly always do require a certified copy - thanks for the tip about post offices, I must check if that is still available, as although we have some certified copies, our adviser did not do a very good job of it and had to do some more which actually met the criteria ...

Hmm. The other catch is that the Adviser holds the originals in another town - and also the PO information seems to cover identity documents, but no mention of POA docs. I will go in next time I pass and ask them.

We certainly found it routine to get our bank to accept us as Attorneys, but since then we have had various problems with their "records" apparently being incomprehensible to the agent on the phone, or just erroneous.
    • Angela165
    • By Angela165 7th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Angela165
    • 7th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    Hi, I'm very interested on how you have got on with this. I've got POA for an older gentleman who has dementia. His accounts appear on my online banking app with Santander so makes it easy to keep an eye on things. Any how I found a direct debit for 19.99 zoom telecom on his account. This was dated in June and no other debit since. An attempt to withdraw 190 odds online transaction happened more recently and the bank contacted him as previous fraudulent transactions had happened last year. He's got a call blocker from local trading standards so no idea how anyone got him on phone. Went into branch they cancelled the direct debit and arranged refund. They already refunded the 190. I asked for copy of direct debit mandate. Letter from bank today saying it was all electronic so no signature was required. There is no paperwork in his house for zoom telecom. To me looks like professional fraud targeting very elderly people in the hope they don't notice but I don't know how they get their details? Very concerning!
    • Mala
    • By Mala 21st Jan 17, 12:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mala
    • 21st Jan 17, 12:45 AM
    • 21st Jan 17, 12:45 AM
    Zoom Telecom are still conning elderly people. £19.99 has been taken out of my 81 year old mothers account only this month. She has memory problems and has no recollection of anyone contacting her from this or any other company. Zoom had contacted TalkTalk to say that she was closing their account and transferring to them and I only found this out because I pay her telephone bill and it is my email that TalkTalk writes and sends the bills too. Does anyone have any more information how they are doing this?
    • trishagail
    • By trishagail 13th Apr 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    trishagail
    • 13th Apr 17, 12:19 PM
    Still targetting the ederly?
    • 13th Apr 17, 12:19 PM
    I have LPA on my elderly mother's accounts and found a direct debit for these people had appeared to-day. The bank, Santander were very good about reversing it and gave me a contact number for zoom telecom. As with the earlier contributor, my mother remembers the telephone call but says she told them she wasn't interested. They said they had the phone call recorded but I just stuck to my guns and told them they were not getting the money and in the end they backed off and agreed not to contact her again. Will be keeping a close eye on her account as we still don't know how they got her numbers to set up the direct debit.
    • Geraldinel
    • By Geraldinel 24th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Geraldinel
    • 24th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    Zoom issues
    • 24th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    We also have recently had issues with Zoom telecomms,they have taken £21.21 out by direct debit from my 92 year old mother who suffers from dementia.
    We have been in touch with the bank as my mother has never signed for the direct debit and the bank will stop the DD and return the money to the account and have agreed to investigate how this has been set up.

We have also contacted zoom and this is a one off payment for blocking unwanted callls, a service which may have been free. It is interesting to see a previous post that my mother has just cancelled talk talk. We are not sure how zoom have managed to get the account number.
    Very disappointed with the bank allowing this to go through without checking as we have LPA.

Will try and keep you all advised
    • macman
    • By macman 25th Apr 17, 11:36 PM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,708 Thanks
    macman
    Having an LPA registered with her bank does not mean that the bank do any more checks on transactions. It simply means that you can operate her account as if you were a joint account holder. It doesn't prevent her from operating the account either, if she is physically able to do so.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • tomthered
    • By tomthered 27th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    tomthered
    Perhaps Trading Standards need top be brought in as this appears to be a very big scamming operation byt Zoom Telecom
    • susiebabes
    • By susiebabes 7th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susiebabes
    They're still at it, they have taken £21.21 out of my elderly & confused Mum's bank account. They rang her a few weeks ago & conned her into giving her debit card number and have used that to set up a direct debit. There's no paperwork or contract anywhere in her house. I only found out about it yesterday when checking her latest bank statement. Fortunately I have LPA and her bank have been very quick to cancel the direct debit but aren't sure they can get the original payment back as mum supposedly gave authorisation when she gave her debit card number. I've also contacted BT who have confirmed they won't accept a cancellation request on her account. Surely they can be prosecuted for this scam?
    • CHUBBLERS1
    • By CHUBBLERS1 8th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CHUBBLERS1
    Conning Elderly People
    Exactly the same thing happened to my 88 year old Mum, she was contacted by "the bank", who wanted her debit card details, name, address and date of birth, when she asked why she was told it's just procedure. Although she has dementia she had the presence of mind to let me know what she had done, I've got LPA so was able to stop her card. The bank told me to keep an eye on the direct debits and lo and behold one week later a direct debit for Zoom Telecom was set up. I cancelled it straight away and informed the fraud section at HSBC
    • Journo_Leah
      Verified User verified user
    • By Journo_Leah Verified User verified user 24th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Journo_Leah
    Hi everyone, I have permission to post here as a journalist. I'm writing about people's experiences of small telecoms companies - I recently wrote something about True Telecom in the Daily Mail. I'm freelance, but working at the Mail at the moment.
    Please direct message me with a contact email so that I can look into your issues with Zoom Telecom and others. I'd really like to investigate. I don't think I'm allowed to post my email address so do message me and I'll send it to you individually.
    Last edited by Journo_Leah; 24-05-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Sorry I got the company name wrong. I said Pop Telecom because I have had letters about them too
    Approved Journalist
    Iím a journalist. MSE has given permission for me to post asking for people to help with a story I'm working on. You can see my name on the Companies/organisations/journalists with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my individual posts or employer by MSE
    • Spurs_2015
    • By Spurs_2015 21st Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Spurs_2015
    Scam
    I noticed my 82 year old Mother had £21 taken out of her account for three months, I cancelled the direct debit because I have POA and when I checked her bank tonight it's been reinstated and they are still taking money! Myself nor my Mother have set up another DD so how are they doing it?
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 22nd Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    mac.d
    I noticed my 82 year old Mother had £21 taken out of her account for three months, I cancelled the direct debit because I have POA and when I checked her bank tonight it's been reinstated and they are still taking money! Myself nor my Mother have set up another DD so how are they doing it?
    Originally posted by Spurs_2015
    I'm not sure how they'd be able to take more money as they have to contact you for authorisation to reinstate it. Was it definitely stopped in the first place, or has this maybe not been done properly and they are just continuing to take the money under the original DD? I'd be contacting the bank again to complain, and get them to cancel it again.
    Last edited by mac.d; 22-06-2017 at 3:53 PM.
    • lindarhyde
    • By lindarhyde 25th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lindarhyde
    Zoom Telecom
    I received a phone call about 2-3 weeks ago from this company asking me if I was getting unsolicited calls and withheld numbers. I said I was and they said that I needed to re-register my telephone blocking plan. I did unfortunately give the caller my current account details and the security number from the back of the card.
    I have just noticed a payment of £21.21 (direct debit) has been paid from this account. I did not authorise any payments. I have cancelled the payment on line now.
    I am not sure if I need to do anything else or if I am able to have this money refunded.
    Thanks
    • JWJ
    • By JWJ 25th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JWJ
    Zoom Telecom Scam
    My 90 year old mother has recently been signed up by Zoom Telecom for a TPS, I have POA and only found out when checking her bank statement, a new 1st direct debit payment for £21.21 on 130617 had been set up. My Mum had no recollection of a conversation regarding this service, is unable to give her debit card number over the phone ( since I have erased the last 4 digits following previous telephone financial abuse mainly from charities and TPS services) however even with out this information Zoom Telecom have been able to set up a direct debit, possibly with date of birth and ? account number!! There was no paperwork linked with this "TPS service" and after a quick search on line it is clear this "company " is linked globally with financial abuse. When I checked companies house Zoom Telecom was dissolved in January 2017.

I telephoned Zoom Telecom and only by selecting the sales option on the menu did I get to speak to anyone ( apparently all calls are recorded), they were clear that they had done nothing wrong saying that my mother agreed to the service at the end of May and that the cooling off period had ended, when I asked to hear the recording of the conversation they had had with my mum they were evasive. I handle all of my Mum's correspondence, online shopping etc and I know how patient and manipulative / plausible ? they must have been to obtain any details from her , her normal response to cold callers is to put the phone down. Going back to my conversation with Zoom Telecom, I was extremely angry I know it is not a significant amount of money but it is the fact that they have been able to access Mum's bank account at all and how devious they must have been. This is not the first time this has happened , so what protection can be offered to older people from this type of scam, particularly those that are not technically savy and in the face of businesses that target the vulnerable.

I have stopped the direct debit via the building society who had not heard of this company.
    This situation also raises the issue of facilitating a degree of financial independence for older people who are able to manage day to day transactions but gives a measure of security. I asked the building society whether they had any products such as preloaded / limited cash cards ie no 16 digit number or account number on them which would enable chip & pin transactions and cash withdrawls from ATM , but sadly not. So will have to continue erasing digits off pre-existing card!

Apologies for the rant my main issues are :

- what can be done to protect vulnerable people predominantly older generation from this type of financial abuse?
    - what are the banks / building societies doing to provide products which enable older customers to maintain some day to day financial management with limited associated risks.

If anyone has found a solution to the latter please share.

I would be happy to be share details in any investigation regarding this company.
  • archived user
    This may not be the same company; however, according to Companies House:

Zoom telecom
    Registered office address
    Bridge House, 2 Bridge Avenue, Maidenhead, Berkshire, United Kingdom, SL6 1RR
    Company status
    Dissolved
    Dissolved on
    24 January 2017

http://www.zoomtelecom.co.uk/
    • Mary53
    • By Mary53 29th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mary53
    My mother too has been victim to this scam. We were going through her bank statement and I spotted it - 2 payments of £21.21. She has no idea how this has happened - she is completely on the ball and can spot a scam a mile off. The only thing we can think was when "BT" contacted her to say they could stop nuisance calls - when she agreed (wouldn't we all) her entire phone line was blocked and she had to spend an hour the following day to BT sorting it out. BT need to be aware of this too. I loathe these people - how can they live with themselves? I'm struck that all people targeted on this thread are elderly. Please please spread the word about this. I am.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,871Posts Today

9,678Users online

Martin's Twitter