Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thozza
    • By thozza 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    • 229Posts
    • 179Thanks
    thozza
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk
    • 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk 7th Dec 14 at 1:10 PM
    There are threads about the prices of most off-grid energy sources on MSE, but I cannot find one about biomass wood pellets, so I thought that I would share my findings.

The below prices are for 10kg or 15kg bagged pellets on a pallet, and are either published internet prices, or phone quotes, prices include VAT at 5%. All are ENplus A1 certified -

http://www.pelletcouncil.org.uk/consumer-information/bagged-pellets

I was surprised how much variation there is between suppliers of bagged pellets and needless to say that my latest delivery has been from Plumb Center. Price per Kw based on 4.8Kw/kg

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 880kg
    Price per pallet - 199.50
    Price per tonne - 226.70

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0472

http://www.forever-fuels.com/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 240.00
    Price per tonne - 244.90

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0510

http://www.land-energy.com/wood-pellets/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - 246.00
    Price per tonne - 246.00
    Price per Kilowatt - 0.0513

http://www.brites.eu/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - 252.00
    Price per tonne - 252.00

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0525

http://www.woodpellets2u/
    Source - CPL Homefire (Verdo?)
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 249.90
    Price per tonne - 255.00

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0531

http://www.biomassfuel.supplies/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 244.95
    Price per tonne - 255.16

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0532

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 259.00
    Price per tonne - 264.29

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0551

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - 268.00
    Price per tonne - 274.87

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0573

http://www.verdorenewables.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 269.00
    Price per tonne - 280.21

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0584

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 269.00
    Price per tonne - 280.21

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0584

http://cjtimber.com/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 1005kg
    Price per pallet - 297.08
    Price per tonne - 295.60

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0616

I understand that bulk prices are lower, hopefully others will be able to add some bulk prices for comparison.
    Last edited by thozza; 07-12-2014 at 1:37 PM.
Page 4
    • WPG
    • By WPG 10th Nov 15, 9:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    Discount Codes and Offers
    White Horse Energy have been in touch to say they're discounting Firepower pellets to 208/pallet on orders of 4 or more pallets - Can't find any mention of it on their site, but the discount does seem to apply when you add them to your basket.

It's also prompted me to add an offers page to the woodpelletguide.uk website for voucher codes, multibuy offers etc that don't appear on the main price listing. I've only got a couple listed at the minute, if anyone knows of any others please let me know.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 10th Nov 15, 10:21 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    5% discount is possible at WHE, one of my earlier posts has details.
    • RickMoney
    • By RickMoney 22nd Nov 15, 8:25 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    RickMoney
    Hi Cancunia,

Did you start burning the new pellets yet?

I've got to place an order for some this week so reviewing the options again.

Was the pallet stacked well and the delivery ok?

Thanks,

Rick
    • thozza
    • By thozza 22nd Nov 15, 8:35 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    thozza
    Hi Cancunia,

Did you start burning the new pellets yet?

I've got to place an order for some this week so reviewing the options again.

Was the pallet stacked well and the delivery ok?

Thanks,

Rick
    Originally posted by RickMoney
    I have started using my latest delivery of AKZ pellets, so far so good, well stacked on the pallet in 15kg bags, look identical to the Brites & Verdo, burn well, would recommend. Purchased from Luxury Wood Co. but also available from Premier Pellets. Hope this helps.
    • RickMoney
    • By RickMoney 22nd Nov 15, 9:09 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    RickMoney
    Thanks Thozza,

That is useful. With the discount code from WHE their prices are even more attractive. I guess the Firepower ones seem to be the cheapest A1 pellets so wonder if anyone has experience of these?
    • thozza
    • By thozza 22nd Nov 15, 10:00 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    thozza
    Thanks Thozza,

That is useful. With the discount code from WHE their prices are even more attractive. I guess the Firepower ones seem to be the cheapest A1 pellets so wonder if anyone has experience of these?
    The Firepower certainly look to be the cheapest A1 pellets today (tomorrow things could have changed!), and they are manufactured by AKZ as they are carrying the LV001 ENPlus number, which is AKZ (you can check any number on the ENPlus website http://www.enplus-pellets.eu/production/certified-producers/), so are basically the same as the ones that I bought.

I purchased a few weeks ago when the AKZ were slightly cheaper than Firepower. I have been impressed with them so far and prefer the 15kg bags (I am reasonably fit) which seem to be made of thinner gauge polythene than the UK pellets I have bought, and easier to dispose of. I seem to generate a lot of waste PE bags and I find that they are, frankly, a pain to get rid of.
    • RickMoney
    • By RickMoney 22nd Nov 15, 10:08 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    RickMoney
    Good to hear Thozza, I'll place an order for those I think.

I know what you mean about the bags. I had hoped they could be recycled but our ouncil won't take them. I've saved them in the thought to use as rubble sacks for the future.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 22nd Nov 15, 11:39 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    My pellets came from WHE but are Premium Plus as opposed to Firepower, although they are both Baltic origin so likely to be similar quality. My experience with WHE's customer service was very positive and the delivery very prompt.

A quick update to this post, as Thozza stated, AKZ & Firepower have the same ENPlus registration, so must come from the same manufacturer and so could well be the same thing.
    From what I've read elsewhere, Baltic timber generally grows at a slower rate than UK grown timber so tends to be denser, I'm not sure if this has an effect on the burn quality of pellets or ash/ residue so it would be interesting to get some feedback on this from others.
    Last edited by cancunia; 23-11-2015 at 9:14 AM. Reason: Update
    • tinyboytim
    • By tinyboytim 23rd Nov 15, 12:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tinyboytim
    Purchase of Pallet from Luxury Wood
    Hello
    Interesting thread and great effort on the wood pellet website - really well done. I hope you really get the support for it. Anyway, I have a wood pellet boiler - an Extraflame LP20, since March 2013. I ordered a pallet of GRANULTA EN+A1 BSL CERT wood pellets from the Luxury Wood Company for 199 pounds delivered.
    Ordered on Tuesday 17 Nov 2015 and took delivery on Friday 20th Nov. I live in Colchester, Essex.
    Great order, no complaints. Delivery driver dropped the pallet at the top of the driveway and I got my weekly workout transferring them into the shed.
    Best price I have ever had for a 975KG pallet, I believe. Ordered in October and paid 252 for a pallet of Verdos. The new ones seem to be heating fine.
    • RickMoney
    • By RickMoney 26th Nov 15, 5:14 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    RickMoney
    I took delivery of the pellets from WHE today. Good fast turnaround as they tried to deliver yesterday in fact. Bags look good and well wrapped to protect from the showers. There were a few damaged bags from transit but WHE customer services were very good.

My one niggle, and I've provided feedback is they are stacked 5 to a layer on a small footprint pallet so it was tall and thin. It listed quite a lot on unloading from the truck and in this case the pallet was broken which didn't help. I prefer to see shorter stacks and I'll be repalletising it in storage to reduce pressure on the bottom bags.

As other people have said, I have a code to give 5% first orders with WHE which also gives me acc credit but let me know if you wish to use.

Thanks again to the feedback and comments ppl gave.

Rick
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 26th Nov 15, 5:18 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    I took delivery of the pellets from WHE today. Good fast turnaround as they tried to deliver yesterday in fact. Bags look good and well wrapped to protect from the showers. There were a few damaged bags from transit but WHE customer services were very good.

My one niggle, and I've provided feedback is they are stacked 5 to a layer on a small footprint pallet so it was tall and thin. It listed quite a lot on unloading from the truck and in this case the pallet was broken which didn't help. I prefer to see shorter stacks and I'll be repalletising it in storage to reduce pressure on the bottom bags.

As other people have said, I have a code to give 5% first orders with WHE which also gives me acc credit but let me know if you wish to use.

Thanks again to the feedback and comments ppl gave.

Rick

What pellets did you buy from WHE?
    • RickMoney
    • By RickMoney 26th Nov 15, 6:25 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    RickMoney
    I got the Firepower ones in the black bags but you can see from Thozza's post above #67 they are the same as another brand too.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 26th Nov 15, 11:47 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    Thanks, I wondered which ones you bought due to your comments about the stacking. It's useful to know.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 27th Nov 15, 3:26 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    thozza
    The Luxury Wood Company have 2 more brands of pellets on their site:

KG (Kurzemes Granulas) from Latvia and Granulta from Lithuania, both ENPlus A1 and BSL listed, both in 15kg bags, 975 kg on a pallet.

KG is 199/pallet (204.10/T) and Granulta is 219/pallet (224.62/T).

Both have been added to the Wood Pellet Guide comparison site
    • thozza
    • By thozza 10th Jan 16, 9:41 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    thozza
    Some feedback on my last two deliveries of wood pellets, which were both from Baltic sources instead of my normal Balcas Brites.

AKZ pellets from Latvia, ENPlus A1 certified & BSL listed in 15kg bags, 975kg on a pallet (65 bags). Well stacked on the pallet, bags are clearly designed to nest properly on the pallet, well protected with a top layer of PE sheeting which was wrapped securely in the shrink wrap that covered the pallet. Bags themselves were thin gauge PE, but remarkably strong and pliable, much better in my opinion than the thicker PE Bags I have been used to with the Brites, particularly as they take up much less room when empty. No hand holds, but well packed so easy to handle and lift. Pellets themselves burned fine without problem, no discernible difference to Brites. Pallet was OK too and burned well in the stove.

KG (Kurzemes Granulas) again from Latvia, ENPlus A1 certified & BSL listed in 15kg bags also 975kg on a pallet (65 bags). Well stacked pallet, but the pallet itself was rather flimsy and broke during delivery (no issue to me as I re-stacked in a shed immediately but would have been if the pallet required moving). Bags thicker PE but strong enough. No hand holds, but similar shape to the AKZ so easy to handle. Again, burned well without problem.

In summary, both performed well and I would buy either again especially given the substantial price difference to the Brites.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 11th Jan 16, 12:36 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    I bought Platinum Plus from WHE after reading reviews and the manufacturers web site. Supply and delivery were first class only had one problem when a bag split open at the top. I now carry them a bit more carefully and open them by pulling the seal apart at the top.

They burn ok, but do seem to produce more ash and stain on the stove glass door than the Brites did. Not sure that I will buy again.
    Last edited by cancunia; 11-01-2016 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo
    • thozza
    • By thozza 13th Jan 16, 12:41 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    thozza
    I bought Platinum Plus from WHE after reading reviews and the manufacturers web site....

They burn ok, but do seem to produce more ash and stain on the stove glass door than the Brites did...
    Originally posted by cancunia
    I have noticed that the AKZ also produce a bit more ash than Brites, however as we are using them in a boiler it is not too much of a problem.

So far not noticed any difference for the KG, however Luxury Wood seems to have stopped supplying KG and now mainly promote their new own brand pellets, so I may not have an opportunity to purchase more!
    • RickMoney
    • By RickMoney 14th Jan 16, 8:22 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    RickMoney
    Going to be getting another pallet of pellets shortly. Has anyone had any of the Baltic Biogran pellets?

15kg bags

Anyone have comments on their performance and packing?
    • LukasMc
    • By LukasMc 28th Jan 16, 12:26 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    LukasMc
    Many thanks to everyone that's added info to this thread, it's been very helpful. Maybe someone in MSE could produce a comparison website for wood pellets & biomass? Doing so may well increase the competition between suppliers. Perhaps one exists already in the UK, but apart from this thread the only one I've seen is in the US.

One aspect that I'm curious about is customer service. I'm tempted to use White Horse as they look to have the best prices and their web site is well constructed / informative, plus I got a very quick email response about the availability of 'Fire Power' pellets (back again tonight apparently). Does anyone have views on WHE, or others for that matter?
    Originally posted by cancunia
    many suppliers do not want the open competition and they do not want to be compared by price. I know this because I have spoken with 3 large suppliers and they are against being compared in the same way that gas and electricity suppliers are being compared on sites like moneysupermarket.com. They gives reasons for this such as varying product quality, delivery and customer service, which are all important metrics yet can easily be quantified with a statistically significant review system. At the end of the day consumers want cheaper, good quality energy from a reliable supplier and this can be compared using a comparison site. There are newer and more forward thinking suppliers coming onto the market and my only hope is that the noncompetitive types will eventually be pushed out.

Have any of you tried ringing your supplier and asking for a definitive kilowatt-hour price. Most of them will be scratching their heads in complete confusion Imagine if British Gas did the same
    Last edited by LukasMc; 28-01-2016 at 4:12 PM.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 28th Jan 16, 7:24 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    thozza
    Actually there is already a very good comparison site for bagged pellets :

http://woodpelletguide.uk/

Which now gives energy content for pellets.

It gives a good overview of the nationally available pellets, highlighting the huge price difference between what are essentially the same (ENPlus A1) pellets. Obviously there are differences in things between suppliers, but not sure if they justify such huge price difference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

597Posts Today

5,570Users online

Martin's Twitter