Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt
    • 30th Mar 10, 1:03 PM
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt 30th Mar 10 at 1:03 PM
    Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between 125 and 400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 3
  • Dodder
    My mum's council in Richmond North Yorkshire doesn't do that offer so i think it's only some....
    Originally posted by NEH
    You're right I'm sure... just for the record, my local council is Shropshire.
    • NEH
    • By NEH 7th Apr 10, 5:46 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    NEH
    You're right I'm sure... just for the record, my local council is Shropshire.
    Originally posted by Dodder

Well they do have two councils covering that area and I couldn't find it anywhere...Mum ended up buying hers at she needed it but perhaps it's one of those things that you have to phone up and ask...
    • stingyscot
    • By stingyscot 7th Apr 10, 6:28 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    stingyscot
    Free swimming at certain pools http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/sport/5809.aspx/
    My husband goes at least 3 times per week and hasn't paid a penny for over a year!
  • Claphamite
    It's cheaper to sign up to English Heritage if you're over 60, and you can take up to six grandchildren/nephews and nieces each on visits to castles and other historic properties. If you agree to pay by direct debit, you get 15 months for the price of 12 at the moment, and you can always cancel after that.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 7th Apr 10, 7:37 PM
    • 4,590 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    islandman
    Wherever we are due to pay, out comes the lines,:-

"do you give pensioners discount please?"

" do you give registered disabled discount please?" (for my wife)

if my daughter/son-in-law are with us it is:-

"do you give Forces discount please?".

Something that might be worth considering, in view of the fact that this could well be a regional thing, is should we somehow try to divide the country as in N.S.E. & W?
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 7th Apr 10, 9:13 PM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    5 for the railcard? My council says 19 (instead of 26 on the train sites)
  • PP60
    Hollywood Bowl have a concession rate for the over 55's, 2.25 off peak, compared to an adult ticket of 4.75 peak time, or 3.15 off peak. x
  • maria74
    Transmanche ferries (part of LD Lines) in Newhaven (4hr crossing to Dieppe) give 20% off travel if the lead passenger is over 60 - the rest of the party can be any age.
    You need to either book over the phone or go to the port in person (there are other discounts too such as under 25, student under 27 or people with disabilities).

Here are the contact details as found on the website (no discount online)
    http://www.transmancheferries.com/offres_die-new.php
    You can find the best fares for you then phone up or go down there. You do have to ask for the discount though.

Passengers
    United Kingdom and Ireland : 0844 576 8836 (National UK numbers only)
    or United Kingdom : 0800 917 1201

Transmanche Ferries Newhaven
    Newhaven Ferry Port
    Railway Approach
    NEWHAVEN
    East Sussex BN9 0DF
    • terryw
    • By terryw 8th Apr 10, 9:13 AM
    • 3,823 Posts
    • 5,983 Thanks
    terryw
    Most racetracks offer discounts to "OAP"s - I find it sufficient to show your travelcard to obtain the discount.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 8th Apr 10, 9:23 AM
    • 34,023 Posts
    • 68,644 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Thankyou Maria24 for the post about Transmanche ferries from Newhaven, we were thinking of using that route to return to Spain after our stint in the UK.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • PhilP
    over 60's concessions
    Opera lovers visiting London should note that ENO sell seats at half-price to over 60's three hours before curtain-up at the Coliseum.
  • hallcross
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.
    Originally posted by J & J
    A bit confusing this, I am 60 in October, are you saying I have to wait until I am 65?
    Direct Gov website is a bit unclear on this?
    Thanks
  • briansilk
    Cheap for over 60s
    Bus pass is great. Lots of cinemas and theatres give discount if asked. They do not always advertise so you should always ask. Pensioner meals at restaurants - you dont generally have to be an OAP.
    FREE swimming - some areas do (Brighton) some don't (WORTHING)

Doesn't matter what age, always ask for discount whenever you can. Doesn't always work but age helps!
  • hallcross
    Everyone Active Gyms have concessions for membership for 60+, you may have to ask for it.
    Steve
  • Equity
    Theatres
    Many theatre performances – both profesional and amateur – offer concessionary rates (typically a couple of pounds) to we over-60s.

Another saving (for men at least): cheaper OAP haircuts at many barbers if you avoid the weekend.
    Last edited by Equity; 08-04-2010 at 5:44 PM.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 8th Apr 10, 6:33 PM
    • 4,590 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    islandman
    Just discovered that by showing your bus pass, you get the use of free deckchairs in Weymouth, BUT, you have to be a resident !
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Apr 10, 9:40 PM
    • 40,293 Posts
    • 37,739 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    For those aged 50-59, it may be worth looking through this older thread. (And I may ask if I can rename this one to include us youngsters! )

If anyone spots anything useful from that thread, please add the details here!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • magpies122
    The last time I renewed my car insurance, I asked if there was any discount for pensioners....and there was! Got 35 knocked off the premium.
  • kenbaker04
    The Leisure Peninsula
    On the Wirral apart from travel passes on merseyrail and bus services, over 60's can swim free in the local swimming pools, get allotments at half price (about 13 a year), and the council issue a passport costing 3.10 which gives up to 50% discount on local authority Cultural and Leisure services
  • J & J
    A bit confusing this, I am 60 in October, are you saying I have to wait until I am 65?
    Direct Gov website is a bit unclear on this?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by hallcross
    No, the change from 60 to 65 is staggered for women's pension age and for everyone's bus pass entitlement. Their website: pensions.direct.gov.uk/en/state-pension-age-calculator/home.asp gives your eligibility for a bus pass as being between 6 Mar 2011 and 6 May 2011 depending on your actual date of birth.
    Hope this helps.
    J&J
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,236Posts Today

5,914Users online

Martin's Twitter